• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf’s Popularity May Be Declining

Is participation in Disc Golf growing or declining in your area?

• Participation in Disc Golf appears to be growing as fast as ever in my area.

Votes: 129 56.1%
  • Participation in Disc Golf appears to be growing in my area, but not as fast as before.

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Participation in Disc Golf does not appear to be growing or declining in my area.

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • Participation in Disc Golf appears to be declining in my area.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Participation in Disc Golf is rapidly declining in my area.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I don't know or I don't care

Votes: 25 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only see 344 courses added this year.
Added to the site, not necessarily installed in the last year. Slightly different metric but sometimes courses aren't added for a little while after the initial install.

Just to chime in, this year we're looking at 600+ courses added to the site. I'm guessing the article title was click-bait just to get some page/ad views going for that site.

Sad state of affairs when what is essentially the only (online) print media the sport has resorts to click-bait tactics. I suppose that's just the times we live in. Click-bait = "journalism".

Disc golf on Facebook is pretty horrible. There is so much scamming and shady behavior on the sale/auction groups. I can't believe more people haven't left.

Sad state of affairs when what is essentially the only (online) print media the sport has resorts to click-bait tactics. I suppose that's just the times we live in. Click-bait = "journalism".

I work for a newspaper, granted in advertising, but I hear this all the time from our reporters.

If you are just looking at groups, I am a part of 6 facebook groups for disc golf, two of which were lost and found pages that people quit using because not enough discs were being returned, that is a bad data set if you are trying to prove a point, out of the other 4 groups, 3 are clubs whose facebook page is mostly to announce minis and club business with daily posts, and one is a fan group for Trilogy who has 10 or more new posts every day with comments on every post, once again just randomly selecting groups is pointless and not actually representative of FB involvement in disc golf

The Cincinnati and SW Ohio groups on Facebook are both very active all times of the say, plus there are spin off groups from both pages.
I know the Cincy group has well over 1000 members not sure about how many SW Ohio has but I would guess close to the same.

But this area has always been a boom for disc golf.

The one thing I noticed this year was that the courses were still moderately busy after July compared to previous years. Usually around August, everything dies down with kids going/getting ready to go back to school and so forth but this year there was a steady flow of casuals playing late in the summer.

If there's a problem that I have with social media and those who think that it's the be all and end all of the world, it's that those people have their noses buried so deep in it, and are so absorbed by the metrics of how many times something gets liked, shared or tweeted, that they forget that there's a whole slew of people on this planet who get along just fine without all that crap.

Around here, we find most new players today the same way we did 15 years ago, and they find our club's in the flesh presence before they find the online one.

Lotta feedback on this one today. Happy to see it.

I think what the article proposed to do was to examine a portion of the disc golf population and extrapolate from there, mostly because there isn't a wealth of other information to go off of. Yes, there are PDGA memberships, but only 35k-ish active members. We know the number of disc golfers is much larger than that, and this was one way for the author to explore that.

I am fine if people disagree with the general premise of the piece; it was an opinion article and, as such, there will be disagreement and discussion. It does disappoint me to see everyone hop on labeling us as "click bait" all of a sudden. If that's the case, I humbly submit the large amount of articles this year that have established Ultiworld as a place for legitimate journalism. The headline may have gotten people's attention, but it wasn't like we put "This person threw a frisbee for 100 straight hours. You'll never believe what happened next" or something along those lines.

Regardless, I'm glad it has sparked discussion. If anything, hopefully we can see something more empirical over time, perhaps something funded by the PDGA or some of the manufacturers that will draw upon not just social media, or PDGA memberships, or sales, or course numbers, but all of those factors, and more. A couple years back, our local club had members posted at courses on a weekend taking a survey and counting the number of players. Something along those lines, in a coordinated effort around the country, could yield great results. It would truly be interesting to have a greater idea of how many people play the sport that is backed up by a hard study. If that point was missing in this piece, or not emphasized well enough, that's on me as the editor to pick that out sooner, and I do appreciate everyone reading and chiming in. It's how we get better.

Disc golf is in decline, your leadership has failed you. If you elect me to the PDGA Board, I will make disc golf great again! It will be yuuugggg! Believe me. No one else can make this happen, only I can. I promise, if elected, there will be thousands, no millions of FB sites dedicated to DG. I'll start them myself, but only after 3:00 am.

The Donald

Disc golf is already great, it always has been. When elected, I will sign the TBP. This will allow baskets to be made in high quality facilities in China by the finest child labor. Vote for me!

Billary

I am fine if people disagree with the general premise of the piece; it was an opinion article and, as such, there will be disagreement and discussion. It does disappoint me to see everyone hop on labeling us as "click bait" all of a sudden. If that's the case, I humbly submit the large amount of articles this year that have established Ultiworld as a place for legitimate journalism. .

Ultiworld's disc golf coverage has been terrific.

Sadly, this article wasn't anywhere near up to that standard. Not because it was an opinion piece, or an opinion that is an affront to some disc golfers, but simply because the logic is so flawed.

Less people littering and taking up room on the course? Good.

Ultiworld's disc golf coverage has been terrific.

Sadly, this article wasn't anywhere near up to that standard. Not because it was an opinion piece, or an opinion that is an affront to some disc golfers, but simply because the logic is so flawed.

Honestly it was kind of lazy as well.

Sorry to say it, but they could have done a lot more research (time and effort commitment) and gotten a much better idea of disc golf demographics.

i imagine disc golf groups on myspace are even more in decline.

facebook is dead. not disc golf

.....and club discussion boards.....and paper newsletters (which someone in my club was lamenting the loss of recently)....

Only old people use Facebook now. I'm only on Snapchat cos I'm all about the disc pics.