• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf as a high school sport?

Big_Man

Hey all,

I am just wondering what everyone thinks about having disc golf as a sponsored sport for high schools across the country. I am wondering how many of you would have done this if your high school sponsored a actually state competing team. Are there any states that do sponsor teams? I am a physical education teacher that is an avid disc golf player and I have been looking into this for a year or so now. I feel the sport is growing at an exponential rate and high school sponsorship would only help it.

What do you all think?

I think that would be an outstanding idea.

How would one go about adding DG as a high school sport?

I would have played it in HS, for sure. Heck, I might even fake my birth certificate to go back and play like this guy.

that would be great.
i would think that alot of schools would be in favor of DG for sport,many schools do have ball golf.
there would probably be a big following

I've coaches ha basketball for two years and my team was always asking about my discs. So I would coach and help setup tourneys.

Competition be doubles? Solo? Team?

Great idea!!

Great cheap sport and girls division too.

I've coaches ha basketball for two years and my team was always asking about my discs. So I would coach and help setup tourneys.

Competition be doubles? Solo? Team?

Great idea!!

Great cheap sport and girls division too.

I think you bring up a good point. The sport is definitely male/female friendly, which might make a big difference to school corporations that have to deal with that one equal sports law (sorry, forget the name of it, some number or something.)

I think you bring up a good point. The sport is definitely male/female friendly, which might make a big difference to school corporations that have to deal with that one equal sports law (sorry, forget the name of it, some number or something.)

Title IX.

I'm a high school student and a couple of my friends are planning on starting a disc golf club. To be a team, there's too many complicated things to go through with the state and bleh.

Dont have much info on the topic...However i know Jay and Des Reading( Innova sponsored pros) have done alot to help this motion. I beleive they have went so far as to create a curiculum/ lesson plan...

It was either this past fall or the fall before they had over 100 teachers from texas and the surrounding area to Lake Park in Lewisville, tx. I beleive it was a several day training experience....Maybe involved with EDGE disc golf?

gl

there are sports that are not sanctioned everywhre so it could work liek that as a club sport

but it has a long way to go before being accepted at schools and knowing schools can you imagine the protective wear they would have on those kids

Last edited:
there are sports that are not sanctioned everywhre so it could work liek that as a club sport

but it has a long way to go before being accepted at schools and knowing schools can you imagine the protective wear they would have on those kids

Yeah I remember wearing my helmet when playing on the golf team. But i did it for the sport!! Hahaha

Title IX.

Title IX (Title 9) is discrimination against men's sports. Im all for equality and stuff, but the way Title IX has affected men's sports is insane. Although with many colleges now having more women than men, this could get reversed and women's sports end up getting axed.

DG would be good for HS and college, but I only see it as a club sport in the near future. There is just too much hoopla to add it as a school sponsored varsity sport. I also doubt schools are looking to add programs with the economy in the chitter.

I believe Innova and/or The PDGA has a program called E.D.G.E. It's all about getting DG into Schools. My understanding is there already are Colleges that have have DG as a Class. A DG Buddy of mine is in the process of getting DG in Indiana Hign Schools. Some Schools that have the E.D.G.E. Program have Tournaments and play for "High School Championships". Same for Colleges. So, go check out The PDGA site and look for the E.D.G.E. Program. Good Luck!.... Hell Yes I would have played

I'll be a high school sophmore this fall, I would love to have a team. Definately no shortage in interest. I'll have to e-mail my principle now