• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf dyes vinyl

jcorc32123

I'm starting to work on dyes right now and I have some real crappy contact paper I'm using. What type of vinyl should I purchase so I can get a smooth surface all the way around a disc?

i've used 631 with good results. as long as you weed and transfer properly, make sure your cuts are good and everything is sealed, you won't get bleeds.

most here say 651 but i haven't used it yet. i assume it's stiffer so you can make finer cuts without moving the tips of the vinyl on those hairline details...?

a quick trip to joann's fabric will get you some 631 and the transfer paper that works perfectly with it if you just want to do a disc or two for a couple bucks. it's cheaper in bulk, of course.

If you are not going high volume (a few discs a month), you can get sample sheets from Oracal. They do not cover the disc, so if you are doing the hot dip method, it may not work. I get 651, 641 and 3651. If it has permanent adhesive, and the thickness is about the same as the 651 it works fine.

Oracal 651 is actually not as stiff as 631. Makes it easier to lay down without wrinkles. And if you need to pick up and reposition a little bit it stays stuck better than 631.

Oracal 651 is actually not as stiff as 631. Makes it easier to lay down without wrinkles. And if you need to pick up and reposition a little bit it stays stuck better than 631.

word. good to know. i might stick with 631 then. i like the feel; wrinkles don't give me much of a problem.

Oracal 631 is great when you're learning to dye discs. Since the glue isn't as strong, you have a couple of attempts to pick it up and replace it on the disc if you misaligned the image, have a big air bubble, or whatever kind of contingency arises. On the downside, it does tend to create bleeds easier than Oracal 651, largely due to the glue/thickness issues.

I'd use Oracal 631 until you got the hang of what you were doing, then switch to 651.

I used the GreenStar Vinyl from USCutter, and I was pleased. I never had any bleeding due to faulty vinyl, just faulty cutting by me.