• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Geocaching

i think i found a geostash in floral city on the course during a tourney, it had a lighter,a pipe and a little bag with some funny smelling green substance in it, i left it sitting there...

If you f*ck up a perfectly good disc golf course with geocaching crap you should be harmed. And perma-banned from DGCR.

I saw some geocachers at LTC one day, and checked the popular geocaching sites later on to see what they were hiding, how popular the caches were in my area, etc. The message boards had numerous references to "muggles" and how they basically looked like ne'er-do-wells, but weren't interfering with the geocachers' activities, so they were "harmless muggles throwing Frisbees" or something along those lines.

I left poop in one of their secret boxes. Muggle that.

I discovered Disc Golf through Geocaching. My daughter and i were Geocaching in Glenburnnie Park in N.C. My daughter asked what the baskets were for and i told her. She wanted to know if we could play. So we looked it up on the internet and now Disc Golf has two more addicts. Geocachers are harmless to Disc Golfers so dont mess with theY're stuff.

This whole friggin' thread is over my head. I don't have a clue what anybody is talking about. Why am I even here? :confused:

If you f*ck up a perfectly good disc golf course with geocaching crap you should be harmed. And perma-banned from DGCR.

Considering I put in countless hours of work on my home courses, ill put what I want where I want. Same goes for ANY course I play.

Not saying I'm gonna litter, eff that, just saying, if I wanna geocache a course, I'm gonna. Step off d*ck. Lulz.:p

As for the comments on putting things in the way of the course flow or bringing non-players on to an active course, I'm working on having the sense to make sure everyone can have fun with what they're doing and still be safe.

My family has been geocaching for about 7 years now.
The biggest problem I see w one on a course is the people wandering the course head down looking at GPS unaware of discs flying through the air!
With 5 kids a geocache isn't always fast for us.

There used to be a geocache at knob hill like 8 years ago on hole 6, then eventually it ended up on hole 9. Also, I found out what a muggle was from the family guy 2 weeks ago.

Found old ammo box while playing my home course. Didn't know geocaching existed until that day. Sure enough the next day I see a guy wondering around the course with head buried in the laptop. Pointed him in the right direction and went back to my round.

There is also something called letterboxing. Visit atlasquest.com and you'll find out all @ it. I actually found one of the letterboxes at the park I work at, it was empty, sent an email to the person who started it, and haven't heard back from them...

As far as geocaching on the course, I would advise against it, just for the obvious safety concerns. But I do think it would be great away from the course...

When i originally started this thread I was thinking more of a disc golf based geocache, nothing posted to any of the geocache websites, just here. Members would be able to find the cache and sign the log book, get the next clue and move on. Ultimately it will lead you to a final cache with directions to some property with either permanent or temp.baskets set up to play with a guide.

It could be just a tube on the back of a secluded bench, or a fake pine cone under a tree..

I get it

Considering I put in countless hours of work on my home courses, ill put what I want where I want. Same goes for ANY course I play.

Not saying I'm gonna litter, eff that, just saying, if I wanna geocache a course, I'm gonna. Step off d*ck. Lulz.:p

So if I go clear a few paths, trim some bushes, install a couple pads, and basically pick up trash, I can do whatever I want at a course?? Cool. Is that something like squatters rights'? There's plenty of woods and open space in this world. Go pretend you're Indiana Jones somewhere else.

If I geocache do I have to wear that corny hat that Harrison Ford wears in the movies?

If you hit a geocacher while standing on a tee pad does it count as an ace? What if its your 23rd throw?

So if I go clear a few paths, trim some bushes, install a couple pads, and basically pick up trash, I can do whatever I want at a course?? Cool. Is that something like squatters rights'? There's plenty of woods and open space in this world. Go pretend you're Indiana Jones somewhere else.

If I geocache do I have to wear that corny hat that Harrison Ford wears in the movies?

Considering you're obviously not into it, you more than likely won't know its there, even if your disc lands on it. Funny hat or not lol

And of course you could probably do what you wanted, hell you'd be making the course a better place by doing those things and probably be given some privledges from the park/club.

I'm with Sloppy on this one. I found a geocache at Castle Hayne once, it was on hole 9 around the bend. A drive could easily fade off its line and into somebody geocaching. I'm not saying it's likely but we don't need any more "muggles" stepping into our projectile danger zones along with dog walkers, joggers, and clueless families.

I had never heard of geochaching until reading about it on this thread yesterday. Today I showed up to play a round at my local course and ran into a couple of guys on the first tee with pen and paper and no discs:confused: So i ask what they were doing and they explain that they had never heard of DG until reading about it yesterday. I tell them that I had never heard of geochaching until yesterday and invite them to walk the course with me as I play. Worked out great... I filled them in on #'s, pars and distances and they did their math and took notes and helped my find my discs... win win! I did, however, feel compelled to explain to them along the way that: A 1/4-1/3 lb. sharp edged chunk of plastic traveling at high velocity could possibly do significant damage to said treasure hunter's dome, and that without a 'dg guide' with them they should probably keep their heads up at all times.

A cache or two as a mini game within the game for DGers in the know about it may be cool. It'd be like a bonus.

Turning a DG course into a DG/Geo course, not so much. Sharing is polite. We do a lot of it already. In just my short time, I've seen dog walkers, short cut taking pedestrians and even people playing croquet on the course. As others have said, we don't need to invite anymore extra disc golfular activities to the course.

If it were to be done, it should be very small scale, low key and well out of the way. Waiting for someone to finish their basket is good sportsmanship. Waiting for someone to finish their basket and go Geo Caching is pushing it.

The only reason to even entertain the idea is because the vast majority of us play for free, anytime we want, or at least anytime between dawn and dusk, on large tracts of land that is open to the public. There has to be some give and take on that.

As for being so and so who lobbied for, designed and installed the course, great. The whole of DG should be appreciative to those people. Their time and effort is what allows us to play. However, I don't they should be the dictators of courses. If they didn't buy the land, it aint theirs. It's probably owned by the city, county or state. That makes it tax payer land. It's also probably a government agency or department that does a lot of the routine maintenance on the course. And then there's all of us who voluntarily pick up litter as we play. It aint exactly saving the world, but it's something and does show our willingness to preserve what we have.