• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Google Trends

Tinkles

Birdie Member
Was looking at some graphs to see how the exposure of Disc Golf was impacting searches online over the last 15 years. Peak was 2016 with a slight downward trend at the top though the bottom seems to be growing meaning there may be a bigger base but why isn't the top growing? Main loves searching for disc golf.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=disc golf

Compared to NFL with clear growth trend.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=nfl

Can also see Paul over the last 4 years. Big bump for 18 down/SportsCenter but even bigger for Discraft move.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2016-01-01 2020-01-17&geo=US&q=paul mcbeth

Love seeing these metrics. Very interesting trends in search data!

Peak was 2016 with a slight downward trend at the top though the bottom seems to be growing meaning there may be a bigger base but why isn't the top growing?

The industry seems to be more interested in growing the player base which in turn becomes a revenue source for the PDGA, product manufactures, dealers, etc, than it is interested in growing a fan base where little revenue would come from comparatively. I would guess we're the sport with the highest player (pro/am) to spectator ratio.

I've said it before, but the PDGA and perhaps the big 3 manufactures need to form a collective goal and market the sport to people other than players.

Comparing the graphs of Disc Golf and Ultimate Disc/Frisbee is pretty interesting. DG seems fairly flat but Ultimate is trending downwards pretty hard.

I'm sure the peak in 2016 was because of Philo's albatross. That was on sportscenter, and lots of random people watched it all over the internet.

As an aside, I don't recall ever using Google to search for something disc golf related.
I do, pretty often. If I need to search for anything on the PDGA.com site for example I'll do a search "Paul Mcbeth pdga.com" or "Ricky Wysocki statmando" or something similar. Its the easiest thing to access from my home screen on my phone, quickest avenue to what I want.

Hell if I want to pull up something like the current live scoring for a league I'm playing on a given evening I can type my own name along with pdga.com to pull up my player profile and click right through into the league I'm playing.

I do, pretty often. If I need to search for anything on the PDGA.com site for example I'll do a search "Paul Mcbeth pdga.com" or "Ricky Wysocki statmando" or something similar. Its the easiest thing to access from my home screen on my phone, quickest avenue to what I want.

Hell if I want to pull up something like the current live scoring for a league I'm playing on a given evening I can type my own name along with pdga.com to pull up my player profile and click right through into the league I'm playing.

I'm proud of you.

Interesting data. It's cool that Google makes these metrics and trends available to the general public.

I do wonder what ratio of search volume goes through Google, vs. how many people start from a more specific source (DGCR, PDGA, Infinite, etc.). I personally do some of both.

I'd guess that the Google searches skew somewhat towards newer players/fans.

Chris, you felt the need to quote and respond to me.

Would you like more than my pride for your Google use?

A cookie perhaps?
A cookie would be wonderful.

I quoted you for context into why I would provide an anecdotal example of someone using google for disc golf. Your participation further was not necessary. Instead - you chose to just demonstrate the fact that you're a sack of ****, as you tend to do anytime you're a part of the conversation. I should not have been surprised, and should not have responded stating the obvious about my thoughts on that.

A cookie would be wonderful.

I quoted you for context into why I would provide an anecdotal example of someone using google for disc golf. Your participation further was not necessary. Instead - you chose to just demonstrate the fact that you're a sack of ****, as you tend to do anytime you're a part of the conversation. I should not have been surprised, and should not have responded stating the obvious about my thoughts on that.

I'm proud of you.

Latest posts