• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Apparently it's going to be a Houck designed course? It's not listed as a current project on his site, but there he is out this way in NC...

LoPan,

Construction has begun on the new 18-hole course at Rock Ridge Park. Phase 1 was the basic layout and initial clearing -- a great group of volunteers was out there last weekend, and the next work days are September 1st and 2nd. If we can keep the clearing on schedule, Phase 2 will happen in October. That's when we'll refine the fairways, flesh out the landing areas and "sand traps," and really get things in high gear. Phase 3 will be final trimming and marking, and we're looking at a Grand Opening sometime in 2013.

We're very excited about this project. The park is great; the town is behind it; and the course will be about a par 65 with a huge variety of shots through a hilly and wooded property. It's not on the HouckDesign web site yet, but we do have information and photos on the HouckDesign facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/HouckDesign

You can also subscribe the park's e-mail updates at http://eepurl.com/obJXn

LoPan,

Royal and some guys were out there last week clearing some fairways. Soon enough we'll have DG in Pittsboro followed by brews at the Carolina Brewery!!!

Big weekend for clearing in Pittsboro starts tomorrow. If anyone's in the neighborhood with nothing to do, come on by -- I'm sure they would love to have you.

From the Park's Site:
Possible Phase Two (To be developed incrementally as funds permit)
Trails / paved
Open Space / Multi-use Field
Off Road Bike Trails / 1 mile
Dog Park / 1 acre
Futsal Court (small soccer field on a hard surface)
Disc Golf

http://pboparks.blogspot.com/2012/07/pittsboro-disc-golf-course-underway.html

Here's a blog entry about it. Anyone from TCP or BCDG know details?

Off topic, but that's laughable. And not in a good way. I sounds like they're putting a little more effort into disc golf than they are mountain biking.

I'm looking forward to getting the chance to play Mr. Houck's first NC course. Sounds like it's gonna be awesome.

Maybe someday you will be invited to come up, drink some beer, and get a free lesson. Time will tell... ;)

It's great to be back in Pittsboro. The weather is fantastic, and the course is starting to take shape. Huge kudos to Jeff Baldwin and everyone who's been pitching in to make it happen. It's going to be one of my favorite courses when it's all done.

Could we get a course map posted here? What's the timeline for opening? Wish it weren't so far away -- I'd love to be out there volunteering.

How about this, Rodney...

Attachments

• Rock Ridge Preliminary Map.jpg
    Rock Ridge Preliminary Map.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 72
The weather has been amazing, the park is looking great, and the holes are coming together. This second phase of design is really critical -- this is the time to work on the details that make all the difference.

You should be able to read about aspects of Hole #1 in the next issue of the PDGA magazine.

Looks like an awesome par-65 track. The routing for the looping 9's is top notch.

What prevents a layup short of the water on the left route on #17? Or are we still too early?

Looks awesome. I am sure that kind of course, that close to my house, and that close to a brewery is going to cause some marital strife. I'll try to get ahold of the parks guy, and see if I can go do some grunt work for him.

I think he said the sheriff is near.

"Rock Ridge...Rock Ridge..."
How do we know this isn't just an imitation Rock Ridge, created by Sheriff Bart & the Waco Kid? And will it be pay to play? If so, somebody better go back to town and pick up a sh**load of dimes! ;)

Seriously, it looks awesome!

Looks like an awesome par-65 track. The routing for the looping 9's is top notch.

What prevents a layup short of the water on the left route on #17? Or are we still too early?

Well, sometimes it makes sense to loop, and sometimes it doesn't. I was glad I was able to work it out on this one, though it wasn't as easy as it might look. In any case, glad you like it.

As for 17, it is too early for water, and it may always be too early for water. The pond it still just a dream at this point, but you never know.

You can certainly lay up on the left route, but it stays fairly narrow until about 365' from the tee (it is downhill). So if you laid up, you'd have to keep it very straight and finish straight. And then you'd probably have to lay up again in order to get a good route to the pin. Only great drives will have an opportunity to play for eagle, and will take a great second shot, too. It'll be a very cool hole if we can pull it off, even if we never get the pond.

Another good day at Rock Ridge. Jeff Baldwin and Noah Becker were out to work on the course, as they are most Wednesdays. Big thanks to Rich Burnette and Shawn Horn, who helped with the clearing, too. We also tested the first three holes today, and so far they look just about perfect.

Looking forward to getting down there to have a look once everything is in place. Every new course I visit gives me more ideas for my own!