• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Played here yesterday, noticed a lot of trees marked with tape. This really concerned me b/c I'd say a good 1/2 of the trees marked presumably for removal were either solidly inside a rough zone or only projected into the fairway mere inches from large trees that are decidedly not getting cut, so that hitting those flagged trees means a bad throw anyway.

I'm afraid that some local is going to make some changes just to suit his game and counter to the interests to Houck's (really, really excellent) design. I.e. there looked to be a third lane/fairway to be made left of the left FW on hole 7 so that people that faded too far left of the landing zone could fire off a FH instead of being punished for missing the LZ.

Thanks for that update, Dave. I'll check with the parks department.

The bottom line is that the City owns the park, not the designer. I can make recommendations all day long, but if anyone wants to make changes on a course I designed, that's their decision. I can choose to take my name off it, but that's about it. We do now make that very clear in all our contracts.

Based on your description of trees marked in the woods next to big trees, we can just hope that they're looking out for the health of the bigger trees.

Anyone who marks trees with flagging tape to cut them is a complete moron. There is no way to verify which trees were cut, post- harvest. You mark trees to cut with paint at eye level and another spot of paint at the base.

Thanks for that update, Dave. I'll check with the parks department.

The bottom line is that the City owns the park, not the designer. I can make recommendations all day long, but if anyone wants to make changes on a course I designed, that's their decision. I can choose to take my name off it, but that's about it. We do now make that very clear in all our contracts.

Based on your description of trees marked in the woods next to big trees, we can just hope that they're looking out for the health of the bigger trees.

I don't think the removal will hurt the design too much, except for maybe that weird third fairway it looks like somebody wants on hole 7; it just looked like a lot of cuts for no good reason at all save for dead tree removal. I'd much rather see somebody out there work on executing the original vision and put that second fairway in on hole 16 (the right lane never got done really and now there's a huge tree that fell over between it and the basket) plus move the tee so that it lined up with both fairways like it's supposed to be on the tee sign as well as widen the right most lane on hole 14 a little bit because it doesn't look like anybody goes that route.

Hole 7 might be my fav...

It has tree-mendous amount of challenges, especially if you find yourself in the trees (which I often do). Coming up from behind the basket, not sure if it is just me, seems to provide the player with an illusion that is lower than it really is...I always rail the rim and the shot lands on the base...

I live close by if there are any work days to clean up the course please post or send a note and I will make every effort to attend...

Attachments

• 20170502_170523.jpg
    20170502_170523.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts