• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

Seriously, Sam - you are trolling me on DGCR?!? No one I know took the hyzer route on 5 - it was too tight to risk the length. Davey and I were on the same card - he stated it was more clear if you made the top, so I would reconsider when playing again. In prior rounds, I screwed around with the left line - no dice ever on that route, so just pured it up the middle. Screwed up my approach shot to drop in a 4.

Mayyybbbeee :D

Not that I know of, I don't think the pads or signs are up yet.

Hoping to play Rock Ridge around 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. No course guides are listed, and the reviews are disabled until the course is "officially open."
Don't want to drive there just to find it closed or unplayable for whatever reason.
Any updates on this course? Anyone play it recently? Any weekly Sunday events out there (doubles, etc.)?

Thanks -

Haven't played it recently but it should be a lot more navigable since the last time I played, I think New put up some arrows to ease transitions plus the foliage is getting thinner.

It's open and playable, there are some navigation arrows and there's a full size course map at the parking lot. The signs and pads should be just about complete as well.

Sometimes the gates are closed early in the morning, if they're locked call the Pittsboro Police Dept because they are tasked with opening and closing them.

Roadtrip,

I could probably meet you out there, and give you the unofficial sloppy tour. Just confirm that you're still going to be there at 10 and I'll get out there. It should be in good shape with no events scheduled.

Well roadtrip got the full Rock Ridge tour today. Some of the signs are in, and pad installation is underway as well. There will be rubber mats with crushed gravel, and they seem to work very well. Rock Ridge is looking like a very playable course this Winter.

So are the rubber mats going to be permanent tees then, no concrete?

I think the plan is to install concrete when there is an actual budget to do so. But the rubber mats are installed nicely, and I have no issues with them. You'll have to check them out, and decide for yourself. I'd rather have these than some of the non-tectured concrete pads I've played on. Those get slippery as heck.

Played this course for the first time this past weekend.
My thanks to Sloppydisc and a few others who came out and showed me around on very short notice.
As there are no reviews allowed yet, I'll tell you that it's a very fun and challenging course. We discussed the differences between this course and Nevin - this course has more ace runs to break up the long par fours and fives. This course doesn't have nearly the risk/reward factor that Nevin does (and there aren't any blind risks like when your disc at Nevin is 10 feet long but rolls down a 50 foot hill).
The course splits the front/back 9 so you can go back to the lot after each half.
I don't remember seeing benches or trashcans, other than at the parking lot.
The tee pads were actually pretty awesome. I'd say Patapsco has the best gravel tees I've seen. These are grippy rubber mats, kind of a honeycomb pattern with gravel in the gaps - hard to describe but easy to throw from. Very impressive for non-concrete.
Some very long holes and it does require a lot of different shots, but no long open bombs that I remember.
I think we counted five baskets that you can see from the tee. Many of those holes have options - left/right tunnels, left/right/center tunnels, it seems like a few holes had even more than that. So there are options, even if they're tight.
Definitely helpful to have played it (with course guides) a time or two before competing out here. Many of the holes depend on hitting the right landing zone to set up your second shot. Nice to know those lines before you throw.
Very secluded, only saw one other group on one of the nicest weather days of the year.
It's really not hard to get here. If you're traveling south or west of Raleigh, the routes here are fast. I drove on Hwy 64 across Jordan Lake - beautiful. It's a good course to hit while you're passing through.
Locals were very friendly, knowledgeable (and patient, when I kept hitting the first tree towards the end)
I wouldn't try to rate the course this early on. I'll just say this one is on pace to be a very solid, must-play.

A while ago I found a nice pair of sunglasses at Rock Ridge and I think the original owner would like to get them back. I made some inquiries right after I found them, but never located the owner. If they are yours then please email me at [email protected] with the brand, something distinctive about them, and the month when you lost them. PLEASE do not reply on this forum! I don't want to clog up this thread. Also, don't send me random guesses; I don't have time to waste on that. But if they are yours then let me know.

I might play RR on Saturday, about 3:30, and I could give them to you then. My plans are extremely tentative and subject to change, though.

Played here yesterday, it's been around 3 months since I've been here and it's really starting to shape up. A lot of the tees are done and as stated they work really well. The signs are up and a number of the fairways have opened up more. Looking forward to playing here more often.

Glad you like it. There are a couple subtle John Houck changes being made that should finalize things, and result in a very nice, challenging course. Number 5 is having the pad moved back a little bit which will open up the two outside lines. And make the straight line a bit more challenging. And I think number 6 will have something done to make the FH shot a little less of a gimme. Plus the outside Fh route on 6 has been opened up a little tiny bit. Not sure the angle is still great, but as it beats in a little it should become a better option for people. I think it will make more sense when we get the high limbs cleared for the big hyzer route.

Yay, i was planning on heading out there tomorrow. what a coincidence.

I think the plan is to install concrete when there is an actual budget to do so. But the rubber mats are installed nicely, and I have no issues with them. You'll have to check them out, and decide for yourself. I'd rather have these than some of the non-tectured concrete pads I've played on. Those get slippery as heck.

Agreed. The teepads are Excellent.

From the course description: "Two sets of tees to accommodate players of all skill levels."

John, did you write that? Ha ha -- you need to come golfing with me and Gracie sometime -- or drop in on the Charlotte Kids League! I realize this course isn't meant for that demographic, but you said *all*.

Looking forward to playing this sometime.

By the way, is there a moderator that could move this thread to the general Courses forum instead of Course Development?

Grodney, I am not sure who penned that phrase, but the Parks Dept in Pittsboro wanted to have 2 sets of tees to accommodate players that are not what I would call professional level. IMO John did a nice job of adding a more amateur friendly layout to a par 65 course. No, it's not a perfect beginner's course, but from the shorts most people can play it without getting too frustrated. My 7 year old daughter walks it, and throws some shots. I think most of us would agree it is tough to make a long wooded course perfect for all skill levels.

IMO John did a nice job of adding a more amateur friendly layout to a par 65 course.

Thank you, Mr. Sloppy. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Now, Rodney, I don't want to tell you how to raise your daughter, but if it were me I would tell her:

A) "Gracie, you need to put away that Destroyer and stick to your Roc."

B) "The longest par 3 out there is 202'. Throw your Roc 65', three times. If you make a little mistake you may need to hit a 20-footer. If you can't hit a 20-footer, then I'm sorry, honey, but you should be practicing in the backyard instead of being on the course." (OK, I know I just advised half the readers of this board, including myself, to stay off the course.)

C). "That's bogey golf. You should be proud of yourself. Millions of people on this planet wish they could play bogey golf."

D) "The par fours are about 400' long, so you'll have to throw your Roc six times and take a seven. When you learn to throw 100', you'll be back to bogey golf. At that time, I will let you watch 3 hours of TV a week."

E) "If you think the fairways in Pittsboro aren't wide enough, then I want you to go to some of the courses closer to our house and see how other kids live. Maybe you'll quit whining after that."

F) "No one said life was easy, sweetie. There are many places in this world where people can't even get Shiner at their local store. But you're going to do just fine. Daddy loves you."

G) "Now please go get me another Shiner."

Again, just a suggestion. I'm sure she (and you) will have a great time in Pittsboro. Talk to you soon.

With Love,
Uncle John