• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

My daughter has a volleyball game tomorrow so I won't make it. I know Noah is planning on showing up, and possibly Jeff too. Maybe Jeff can teach you chukcers how to play. :p

Not sure if this is to whom Mark is referring, but you guys there in Pittsboro are damned fortunate that the City has hired Jon Owens to help finish your course there. Jon comes to you with years of experience of working at Cedarock Park, being the only employee there who gave a tinker's damn about the courses there. He also most recently helped out in a BIG way in the pouring of the pads at the new Springwood Players' Course. Welcome him and keep up your good volunteer efforts!

:rolleyes:

Yeah, because nothing has been accomplished without him. You just keep hacking your vines up in Burlington. Rock Ridge is well under control. And yes, the Pittsboro Parks Dept is kind and generous. I'm sure Jonathan will do a fine job on the tee pads.

We had 44 out at the event yesterday...a club record. The draw of playing a Houck course coupled with Swingin' DB's definitely contributed to that count. Open scores ranged from 61 (hot) to 81 - our Open division is largely a handful of Open players and mostly Advanced level players. Solid local pros (around 1000 rated) were scoring in the mid 60s. Hitting par here from the longs is a feat. As the course gets more play and pads, this will likely go down a little.

I will say that 17 long was a topic of discussion. I do not think a single player went down the right fairway from the longs. There was an old/shorter pad in prior that promoted that path, but with the tree in the way of the longs, i doubt it will ever be thrown. There was another hole - i believe #5 - that has "technically" 3 fairways...but again, that RHBH hyzer route is very tight, so the risk versus reward on going the longer route isn't there. Again, another hole that was a topic of discussion. That all said, this is an incredible layout and course - one of my favs locally - just great!

On #17;
If I'm not mistaken the left fairway was the long pad fairway and the right fairway was the short pad fairway. It reminded me of #22 at Riney B in Nicholasville KY. Just 500ft longer haha!

We had 44 out at the event yesterday...a club record. The draw of playing a Houck course coupled with Swingin' DB's definitely contributed to that count. Open scores ranged from 61 (hot) to 81 - our Open division is largely a handful of Open players and mostly Advanced level players. Solid local pros (around 1000 rated) were scoring in the mid 60s. Hitting par here from the longs is a feat. As the course gets more play and pads, this will likely go down a little.

I will say that 17 long was a topic of discussion. I do not think a single player went down the right fairway from the longs. There was an old/shorter pad in prior that promoted that path, but with the tree in the way of the longs, i doubt it will ever be thrown. There was another hole - i believe #5 - that has "technically" 3 fairways...but again, that RHBH hyzer route is very tight, so the risk versus reward on going the longer route isn't there. Again, another hole that was a topic of discussion. That all said, this is an incredible layout and course - one of my favs locally - just great!

Mike, it's great to hear that so many people enjoyed the course.

I really appreciate your detailed feedback, too. It's very helpful. Getting the course built has been a long road, and all the guys have worked very hard, but we're in the home stretch. Still working on getting the right trees removed and the right limbs cut so that the course can fulfill its great potential.

Please send me an e-mail with any other thoughts: [email protected] And I encourage everyone else to write if you have ideas on how to make the course better.

the only other thing i saw that really stuck out to me is on 11 that inner route still has some limbs making that route dodgy.

i also think that there should be a path established back around to the left after 12 so you don't have to walk back up the fairway. it's hard to tell if people are still on the hole and i think one person in our group threw before the group ahead was finished.

We were planning on making the path you speak of, but it pretty much has to go through that wonderfully think and viney pine forest. Lots of cutting. It will happen, it just wasn't a huge priority in the heat of the summer. There will also need to be a ditch and bridge on that approach to 12 as it gets swampy with some rain.

Jeff, Noah and I have also discussed those other issues, but wanted to palat those holes a bunch and consult with John before we revved up chainsaws or made any changes. To me it looks like moving 5 and 6's tee pads back may be part of the solution. And then some selective cutting to make all the routes to the basket somewhat the same level of challenge. The inside FH route on 6 is too easy for a good FH player, and the inside BH route is considerably tougher. The outside FH route is just off, and never gets thrown. The BH route is OK, but needs a little more touch up to make some big sky hyzers possible. But it is close.

I agree on 5. But if we cut the 2 outside routes then the hole will play much easier than John wanted it to. IMO moving the tee pad back might be a solution. Then we can selectively cut the 2 outside lanes to even everything out, and make all routes about the same level of challenge. We'll have to play it more, and have John let us know what he thinks before pads get poured.

I understand it isn't a finished product and you all have done amazing work out there. Just wanted to provide some initial feedback. Owens has the cards from Rock Ridge, if you wanted to get a hole-by-hole scoring breakdown.

John, I will poll the club for feedback and share a summarized response.

I could see moving the pad back on 5 if you went back and left a bit so you're not making that hyzer line to extreme and not really pinching that straight gap.

Exactly. Jeff, Noah and I looked at it, but not too seriously since John has to make the call. I think it could work, but then we need to work on the left side a little more. No one is throwing that FH route either. I think there was 1 big tree we'd have to remove to make the FH work. Did anyone try the BH route during your tourney? I would think Bobby, you , Mike and some others have the arms to give that route a good test. I just don't have the ability to get far enough to see how it works when I throw. Jeff does pretty well, but has ended up a little short of the ideal spot when we've played together.

Exactly. Jeff, Noah and I looked at it, but not too seriously since John has to make the call. I think it could work, but then we need to work on the left side a little more. No one is throwing that FH route either. I think there was 1 big tree we'd have to remove to make the FH work. Did anyone try the BH route during your tourney? I would think Bobby, you , Mike and some others have the arms to give that route a good test. I just don't have the ability to get far enough to see how it works when I throw. Jeff does pretty well, but has ended up a little short of the ideal spot when we've played together.

wait a minute.......Are you suggesting that Mike Decelis has a big arm? :confused:

Compared to me he does. But so do my 13 year old neighbors so fair point by you. :p

Seriously, Sam - you are trolling me on DGCR?!? No one I know took the hyzer route on 5 - it was too tight to risk the length. Davey and I were on the same card - he stated it was more clear if you made the top, so I would reconsider when playing again. In prior rounds, I screwed around with the left line - no dice ever on that route, so just pured it up the middle. Screwed up my approach shot to drop in a 4.

Hole 5, the one with like 3 fairways, the middle being the most tree riddled? I liked the hyzer route the best when I've played that hole. :confused:

I need to get back out there to see some updates.

yea to me the hyzer route on 5 has the easiest second shot if your first shot gets up to the bend but that one tree right off the pad makes the angle to risky for me to take that route. if you hit it and kick right you'd be screwed.

the left route would tempt me more if i had a better FH but to me it has the hardest second shot if you don't fade back to the right far enough. i've seen a few people go that way and not have an easy time with a decent shot down there.

on 6 i dont think ive seen anybody go right middle. i think most people go left middle or the hyzer route. i go for left middle and i usually get it there or hit one of those late trees.

i like the new hyzer route idea on 16, makes that hole way more interesting.

I think you are thinking 6 Dave. 5 is not bad up the gutt. I just throw a Fuse about 225', land in the open spot and about 50% of the time I make a nice approach through the plinko approach to get my 3. If you can go up the gutt about 50' further than me it is an easy 3. 6 has the non-shot FH line and the pretty decent BH hyzer line. Up the middle is muddled on the BH route, and not too bad for a good FH player. Either way, we need to fine tune both holes somewhat. But they are still Ok holes even as they are. They are just not as cool as the rest of the course. I think the basic layouts are good, but we need to remove some high limbs, and maybe shift a tee pad a few feet or degrees. No big deal. John might have had it done by now if he lived close by. We'll get it right.

yea i'm talking about 5, i go straight every time that's why i was saying it's to risky to go right.

on 6 i throw an anny with my fuse in the left middle route, i feel pretty good about hitting it consistently but it's a crapshoot for me if i miss those late trees or get through. the hyzer route on 6 does need some trimming up top but i'd be careful not to make that route to tempting to RHBH guys.