• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

It's only great because someone trimmed all the low branches on those trees on the approach! Other wise all you 'pros' would be settling for 4's and 5's! :D:thmbup:;)

There's no way it could be a 3 it's a straight right dog leg. It's not a very hard 4 but to get a 3 you need at least two well placed shots.

I would pay anyone to get within 40 feet of that hole off the tee.

It's a great hole, but is nothing remotely close to a par 3.

It can't be a par 3 b/c it's too hard to reach off the tee? Why? It's only like 200' to the bend and then it's like 340' to the basket. A pro should 3 that most of the time, especially if that fairway gets thinned out some more. I've gotten a 4 there fairly easily a couple of times and I suck. :\

It can't be a par 3 b/c it's too hard to reach off the tee? Why? It's only like 200' to the bend and then it's like 340' to the basket. A pro should 3 that most of the time, especially if that fairway gets thinned out some more. I've gotten a 4 there fairly easily a couple of times and I suck. :\

Exactly why it's a par 4. If elite players can't / aren't twoing a hole some of the time, it's not a par 3.

It's a relatively easier par 4, however.

Exactly why it's a par 4. If elite players can't / aren't twoing a hole some of the time, it's not a par 3.

It's a relatively easier par 4, however.

So you don't think pros will be able to 2 that hole some of the time? Especially as the course wears in and opens up a little and players play it with regularity?

My guess is no. Unless they get a 100-150' for the deuce. The turn makes it hard to get a ton of distance off the tee. It is a tough three for us humans. You have to hit the turn perfect. Then make an approach downhill, slightly back uphill, and under those tree branches to a spot with an easy putt, just to get your three. It'll happen, but you can't make a mistake. So, it is a three for a Pro, a 4-5 for me, and possibly a 6 if you shank the drive. Which happens if you can't turn your driver, and the shot goes straight for too long. Used to think it should be a three until I went about 3 rounds in a row with a 5! It is a strange beast, but I've seen only a few threes so far.

So you don't think pros will be able to 2 that hole some of the time? Especially as the course wears in and opens up a little and players play it with regularity?

No. It's too severe of a turn and too tight.

Now, someone will two it with a throw in or a random crazy insane drive.

But that doesn't mean it's a par 3. Just because someone aces a hole doesn't mean it's par 2.

^^^ Agreed. If it wasn't for 6's basket we could eventually put in an alternate position about 100' further back and make it a heck of a tough 4.

No. It's too severe of a turn and too tight.

Now, someone will two it with a throw in or a random crazy insane drive.

But that doesn't mean it's a par 3. Just because someone aces a hole doesn't mean it's par 2.

Does a hole have to be reachable from the tee for you to consider it a par 3?

Does a hole have to be reachable from the tee for you to consider it a par 3?

Generally, yes. But there always wild exceptions, such as a wide open nothing in the way 470 foot hole, which would not be reachable by a large majority of players.

Take hole 8 at Cedarock, for example. Most players can't reach the pin from the 2nd and 3rd tee, but they are both par 3s.

Granted these holes are some of the worst holes our sport can provide....

...you don't have to reach a hole for it to be birdieable. yea most players can't drive 470 but you don't need to drive 470ft to get within reasonable range to hit a putt. you only have to get to 430 to have a 40ft look at it.

4 short at Buckhorn is a good example. most players can't reach the hole on the drive and even skilled players have a slim chance of getting all the way to the basket. though if you hit your line with enough height you can get within a reasonable distance to hit a putt.

...you don't have to reach a hole for it to be birdieable. yea most players can't drive 470 but you don't need to drive 470ft to get within reasonable range to hit a putt. you only have to get to 430 to have a 40ft look at it.

4 short at Buckhorn is a good example. most players can't reach the hole on the drive and even skilled players have a slim chance of getting all the way to the basket. though if you hit your line with enough height you can get within a reasonable distance to hit a putt.

spot on.

In case it helps to clarify the issue, here's how the holes at Rock Ridge are designed. Actually, here's how all my courses are designed: the idea is that each hole is reachable in 1, 2, or 3 shots. Not one and a half shots or two and a quarter shots, etc.

On Hole #2, as an example, if you can throw a 300' drive, which is not easy to do because of the angle and tightness, you'll still have a full midrange or putter 241' to the basket. Since it takes two shots to get there (in this case two very good shots), it's a par four in my book. Three is a birdie.

I haven't seen anyone come close to getting a 2 on RR #2. I have seen some 3s, a lot of 4s, and believe it or not I have even shot as high as 6 on that hole. Shocking I know. IMO it is a fair to basic 4 that good players will birdie, and bad players like myself will shoot 4s and 5s. But wait til I set up the safari layout!!! :D

In case it helps to clarify the issue, here's how the holes at Rock Ridge are designed. Actually, here's how all my courses are designed: the idea is that each hole is reachable in 1, 2, or 3 shots. Not one and a half shots or two and a quarter shots, etc.

On Hole #2, as an example, if you can throw a 300' drive, which is not easy to do because of the angle and tightness, you'll still have a full midrange or putter 241' to the basket. Since it takes two shots to get there (in this case two very good shots), it's a par four in my book. Three is a birdie.

Exactly.

Quoted from the Par Encyclopedia thread:
"
Par is a "design concept" or "design label".

If the hole was designed to be reached in 1 shot, it is a par 3.
If the hole was designed to be reached in 2 shots*, it is a par 4.
If the hole was designed to be reached in 3 shots**, it is a par 5.

If you can't easily tell how many shots a hole was designed to be reached in, there is probably a design problem with that hole.

Notes:
* Or, at the player's discretion, 1 heroic*** shot.
** Or, at the player's discretion, 2 heroic*** shots.
*** "heroic" implies risky and really really good.
"

That's the point I'm making - golf doesn't make concessions for "red level players." It draws two lines of distinction: male and female (and occasionally for little kids).

Actually, the USGA DOES does make exactly that concession: they just call it "bogey golf" and "handicapping."

From the USGA Handicap System™ Manual, Section 2 Definitions:

Bogey Golfer:A male "bogey golfer" is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level. A female bogey golfer is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 24 on a course of standard difficulty. She can hit tee shots an average of 150 yards and reach a 280-yard hole in two shots.

Bogey Rating: A "Bogey Rating" is the USGA's mark of the evaluation of the playing difficulty of a course for the bogey golfer under normal course and weather conditions. It is based on yardage, effective playing length, and other obstacles to the extent that they affect the scoring ability of the bogey golfer.

Course Handicap: A "Course Handicap" is the USGA's mark that indicates the number of handicap strokes a player receives from a specific set of tees at the course being played to adjust the player's scoring ability to the level of scratch or zero-handicap golf. For a player with a plus Course Handicap, it is the number of handicap strokes a player gives to adjust the player's scoring ability to the level of scratch or zero-handicap golf. A Course Handicap is determined by applying the player's Handicap Index to a Course Handicap Table or Course Handicap Formula. (See Section 10-4.) A player's Course Handicap is expressed as a whole number. The result of any conditions of the competition, handicap allowance, or competition from a different USGA Course Rating that changes a Course Handicap is considered to be the Course Handicap.

Net Score: A "net score" is a player's score after handicap strokes have been subtracted from the player's gross score. A plus handicap player adds handicap strokes to the player's gross score to yield a net score.

Seems to me like an overly complicated (and expensive) way of changing par to match a player's ability.

Exactly.

Quoted from the Par Encyclopedia thread:
"
Par is a "design concept" or "design label".

If you can't easily tell how many shots a hole was designed to be reached in, there is probably a design problem with that hole.

Notes:
* Or, at the player's discretion, 1 heroic*** shot.
** Or, at the player's discretion, 2 heroic*** shots.
*** "heroic" implies risky and really really good.
"

Now we just need to define 'reachable' or 'to be reached'. :D

That definition may depend on the players putting ability. If I can only consistently make putts from 12' my reachable distance is different than they guy that sinks a ton of 30's.

My theory is that if the hole is fun it is a good hole. Even if I shoot a 6 and the sign tells me it is a par 3.

If you can't easily tell how many shots a hole was designed to be reached in, there is probably a design problem with that hole."

That's essentially where I'm coming from. Because of the statistical differences in putting between ball golf and disc golf, some people have a different view of par, but I still think the BG model is best at this point.

As far as a definition of "reachable," I think it's more helpful to think about keeping players out of NAGS (Not A Golf Shot) zones than in keeping them in their putting comfort zones.

Latest posts