• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Rock Ridge Park, Pittsboro, NC

I'll be here 4-5 more days. Lots of work to do on this trip. The only problem is that Dee couldn't make it, so I'm eager to get back home.

The one and only Chuck Connelly dropped by today -- always good to see him and talk over some ideas. I actually threw ten shots just before sundown -- looks like the approach to #10 is going to work just fine. Hope to have some pictures in the next few days.

Yesterday Jeff Baldwin and Noah Becker were out to work on the course, as they are most Wednesdays. Big thanks to Rich Burnette and Shawn Horn, who helped with the clearing, too. We also tested the first three holes today, and so far they're playing just about perfect.

The Perfect Storm is rolling in. Hope you don't capsize, and hope you enjoyed the beautiful fall Carolina weather while it lasted.

John, will you be out there Saturday? I will be able to comoe help barring any unforeseen events plan Ed by my better half!

John, will you be out there Saturday? I will be able to comoe help barring any unforeseen events plan Ed by my better half!

Noah and I will be out there starting around 9:00 or 10:00. Not sure if anyone else is planning to be there at this point, but come on out if it works out.

Where's the place to meet if someone were wanting to come help? Anything to bring other than a pair of good gloves?

Thanks for all the offers of help, guys.

It's starting to look like it could be a rainy weekend, but we'll have to see.

We won't have a chainsaw tomorrow, so the main job will dragging existing piles off the fairway where they won't ever bother anyone.

We may have a chainsaw Sunday morning, which would be a great time to have some extra hands on deck.

It also looks like, starting next week, every Sunday may be a work day, so if this weekend isn't good, there'll always be more opportunities. I'll be leaving in a few days and will be back in probably 3-4 months as we get into the home stretch.

Whatever weather/chainsaw updates we have, I'll post here. I'll also be checking e-mails, so feel free to write to [email protected]

If I can get clearance from the boss I might be able to get out in the morning. I could bring a chainsaw if you need one. All I need to do now is figure out where the heck the park is!

Well, I have a pass from the boss. You guys heading out? Looks like rain will hold off until later this afternoon.

I would like to thank Mr. Sloppydisc for coming down to help clear a couple holes today.

Mark, it was really great to meet you, and we appreciate your efforts.

Noah Becker was there, as he is pretty much every weekend, and they got #5 and #6 whipped into shape while I wrestled with #17 for 7-8 hours. It's hard to believe that one hole can take so much time (just on design), but there are a dozen details that all have to fit together to make it work. There are some very thick areas left to clear on that hole, but it looks like it's going to be a winner when it's done. Should be the signature hole for Rock Ridge.

Thanks also to Mrs. Sloppy, of course, for granting the pass.

By the way, Mark, I told you I was writing about all the cool things you can do with a golf disc compared to a golf ball. Here's that section:

"One of the great appeals of disc golf has always been that there are so many things you can do with a disc. Golf balls aren't very good at curving around things or hovering or skipping. They can only roll in a straight line, unless they get help from a slope. And if you ask them to fly upside down, they don't even know what you're talking about. "

That's from my upcoming article in the PDGA magazine, which will feature Hole #1 at Rock Ridge. Mark brought up some of those issues at lunch today, and I wanted him to know that I wasn't plagiarizing his ideas. Or making fun of people who promote Syracuse University based on very narrow definitions of the word "orange."

Last edited:
Well, the ONLY College team with Orange as its primary color did come back from 20 down yesterday for the victory.

But I'm not sure it is really worth bragging about it since it was against South Florida. :\

As to your article, all I can say is that great minds think alike.

I'll try to coordinate with Noah and meet him there next weekend with power tools in hand. Thanks for all your work John.

After painting trees for removal today in Oakboro I couldn't inhibit my nosiness. I enjoyed a autumn drive to Pittsboro to snoop around to see if I could find John and see what he had up his sleeve. I was rewarded indeed as the sheriff was near. I was treated to a walkthrough with John and Jeff. I have got to tell you that I think this course will be a first class gem of a course. So much work to do here, (c'mon locals get out there and help), but when it is done I can't wait to come back to take on this course. The only problem I had was that I had to turn around to get a dime to get through the traffic stop on my way to the course.

What an absolute treat to get a surprise visit from an old friend and to get the wisdom of the man whose knowledge of designing and building courses in the woods is unsurpassed. Stan, I am so glad that you made the trip today (and I'm so glad I didn't go to lunch and miss you). It was great to see you, and thank you again for sharing the benefit of your experience.

It really means a lot to get your endorsement for this project. I hope you're right, and that the disc golfers of the great state of North Carolina will enjoy their Pittsboro experience. We are hoping to make it a real destination course.

In case anyone else is planning to drop by, I've had a change of plans and will be leaving early tomorrow morning. But I'll be back in a few months, after the second round of clearing is done.

Speaking of clearing, Jeff Baldwin and Noah Becker have really been carrying the load so far, and they've been doing a great job. I'm sure they'd love to get a few extra hands if anyone has a little spare time. Stan's been there -- he can tell you how much work it is. And how beautiful it is.

Thanks again, Mr. McDaniel. Hope to see you again very soon.

Some members of TCP are planning on heading out there on Sunday (Nov 4) to assist in the effort - right now our numbers look to be 4 to 6 - but trying to get a few more. Reached out to Jeff about what needs to be done and/or how we may assist...just waiting to hear back.

Oh man! If the TCP crew will be in town then the Carolina Brewery will probably have a record day.

I'll try to get out there either Sat or Sun, just not sure which one yet.

I guess aggreen has officially given up on the Jets season to be working on a Sunday. :D

Latest posts