• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Matters

I just say I'm going discin'. Or tossing saucers. Or chucking frisbees. Or disc golfing.

If I'm playing golf, I'm golfing.

It's really not that difficult.

There are times, in conversations with disc golfers, when a clearer distinction is needed. Discussing similarities and differences between the games or their rules; discussing disc golf on a (ball) golf course, since we often just use the word "course", and a few other situations. And certainly no harm in using the phrase "ball golf" in those circumstances, just to be clearer.

Now, if you use it anywhere outside of a disc golf conversation, you're bound to get a what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about look from someone. And deserve it.

The term "ball golf" is idiotic

I could not agree more.

Not when you and your friends play both.

Incorrect. There is golf (the original game) and disc golf. People who are unwilling to pop the word "disc" in front of the word "golf" to differentiate between the two are simply lazy or trying to somehow make it seem like the game played with a frisbee is somehow the "real" golf when the opposite is true.

I say disc golf and regular golf.

Personally I've always preferred to call the original game "real golf" and our game "disc golf", but I can live with "regular" or "traditional" being appended in front of golf to describe the game. Somehow "stick golf" and "ball golf" have always bothered me and seemed disparaging to a great game with a long history and noble traditions.

Last edited:
7ae.png

Disc golfers call golf, ball golf. Get over it already.:|

There are times, in conversations with disc golfers, when a clearer distinction is needed. Discussing similarities and differences between the games or their rules; discussing disc golf on a (ball) golf course, since we often just use the word "course", and a few other situations. And certainly no harm in using the phrase "ball golf" in those circumstances, just to be clearer.

Now, if you use it anywhere outside of a disc golf conversation, you're bound to get a what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about look from someone. And deserve it.

This and this. It's not that difficult.

I could not agree more.

Incorrect. There is golf (the original game) and disc golf. People who are unwilling to pop the word "disc" in front of the word "golf" to differentiate between the two are simply lazy or trying to somehow make it seem like the game played with a frisbee is somehow the "real" golf when the opposite is true.

Personally I've always preferred to call the original game "real golf" and our game "disc golf", but I can live with "regular" or "traditional" being appended in front of golf to describe the game. Somehow "stick golf" and "ball golf" have always bothered me and seemed disparaging to a great game with a long history and noble traditions.
Do you play field hockey or ice hockey?

Here's how the conversation goes if I don't insert "ball" or "disc".

Me: Want to go golfing?
Friend: Ball or disc?

It's not that hard to add one simple word for clarity.

Last edited:
Do you play field hockey or ice hockey?

Here's how the conversation goes if I don't insert "ball" or "disc".

Me: Want to go golfing?
Friend: Ball or disc?

It's not that hard to add one simple word for clarity.

If I wanted to go golfing with my friends, I would ask them if they wanted to go golfing.

If I wanted to go disc golfing with my friends, I would ask them if they wanted to go disc golfing.

If I wanted to go golfing with my friends, I would ask them if they wanted to go golfing.

If I wanted to go disc golfing with my friends, I would ask them if they wanted to go disc golfing.
Thanks for choosing what words I should use with my friends! :D

"Ball golf" falls under fair use. :| (only funny if you read the whole thread ;))

Latest posts