• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Matters

Halcón

Free At Last
This documentary is so good, it deserves a thread all its own.

This is good. I learned a lot about the history and the first courses. Also, now I know what the deal is about the glow material (3:30). Although great for those of us addicted and here in the choir, I think it is too long for a promotional. It would be hard to keep the attention of someone not hooked for 26 minutes. But as a documentary for us, I definitely found it interesting.

Gotta love unlicensed music/media in videos

Perfectly legal as long as they don't profit from it. If they try to sell this to a distribution company or make money off the ads on youtube then they could be sued.

Perfectly legal as long as they don't profit from it. If they try to sell this to a distribution company or make money off the ads on youtube then they could be sued.

The grass-roots growth of the game the exact point they're making, which (to the reasonable man) translates to not making money off of it. I don't think they need to worry about it.

Um...no. That's not how IP law works.

Yea it does. It's called fair use. I'm a composer and have done studio work with lots of dance music, and teach copyright law to my students. If the music isn't portraying the artist in a derogatory manner and isn't used for profit, it falls under the fair use policy.

In this video, it's more than likely okay. However, claiming fair use and no profits won't always save you. Other factors can come into play (not in this video, however)

It's okay, let it go, please, or start another thread.

Now back to the awesome video documentary with another prediction of Disc Golf's imminent "breakout".

The thing I really like about this video is that it caters to an audience that might be looking for more of the history of the sport, while also showing newer players what it's all about. It's a nice complement to the glossy production of the "This is disc golf" videos out there that are high-energy and shorter in length. Anything to keep adding to the growing catalog of ways to inform people of disc golf is a positive.

Also, regarding the intellectual property debate: The video was made as part of a university course on documentary production, so I'd be willing to bet the producer has a solid handle on what is legal and what isn't in regards to what he can use.

Great video. I agree it paints a nice picture of the game. A little California and Innova centric, but that was likely the idea. Surprised Climo is not mentioned.

Gotta love unlicensed music/media in videos

I'm all for the correct and legal usage of media in disc golf videos.

CCDG gave him carte blanche to use whatever he wanted. Whether he asked to use the other clips and is allowed to use the music, I'm not sure, but I assume since he asked CCDG that he hopefully asked the other folks too.

Very well structured and good quality throughout IMO.

I enjoyed that a lot! Does anybody know of any other similar length disc golf videos in a documentary style like this?

This is a "must share" with every one of your friends and family that don't currently play. Especially those that look at you like "what?" when you say your going out to play...again!
It's a great video that's done well. Nice work!

Latest posts