• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Podcasts

corin_brown

Eagle Member
I love disc golf. I love podcasts. I do not love disc golf podcasts.

I love disc golf news. I'd love to hear disc golf news on a podcast. But I've sampled all the disc golf podcasts and while they're nice, none of them get into anything remotely newsworthy.

Producing a podcast costs a lot of $, takes a ton of energy and pays nothing. But if no one is paying any disc golf podcaster, why do the disc golf podcaster pussyfoot around anything interesting or juicy? Where is the incentive to be so boring?

There's only so many times a listener wants to hear disc golf podcasters & pros on podcasts verbally wring their hands about why our sport doesn't get on First Take or why Red Bull, Nike, Coke, Chevy or farmersonly.com won't sink millions into the NT. What about the dozens of interesting storylines/subjects/personalities/news items that go unexplored while we get another tedious In The Bag?

I get wanting to avoid a libel suit when you're not carrying any liability insurance. I get not wanting to piss off pros who might assault you for something you said on a podcast you're not getting paid to produce. But I also get that the current state of disc golf podcasts is about as lame as starting a tournament with a double - something I know plenty about.

Disc golf podcasts are boring because disc golf isn't a terribly exciting sport to talk about and podcasts in general sound like a poor man's version of NPR. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

How much news is there really to cover in disc golf?
NT coverage, the police blotter, all the personal beefs between pros, companies, every intemperate outburst by a pro on Facebook, THE PROS, the schism b/to the two factions of disc golfers. Disc golf is a fascinating subject and these podcasts are all just scratching the surface.

NT coverage, the police blotter, all the personal beefs between pros, companies, every intemperate outburst by a pro on Facebook, THE PROS, the schism b/to the two factions of disc golfers. Disc golf is a fascinating subject and these podcasts are all just scratching the surface.

So basically, you want this forum...in pod form.

Half of what you mentioned there is gabby girtie gossip meant to entertain people who obviously have no lives. No thanks. We do plenty of that around here as it is, and it rightfully ends up in the landfill for a reason.

You might make some meat out of the other half but only if you cut your podcast time or do them less frequently. About two-thirds of most podcasts I've ever heard are largely useless filler anyways.

Last edited:
So basically, you want this forum...in pod form.
The Landfill, maybe. Problem with this forum is that the pros don't engage fully on here. The podcasts get the pros but the interviewers talk around anything too juicy. Also, a podcast has one or two hosts. There's a focus to a podcast. I like forums but I like radio/podcasts too.

Because "sinking millions" into sponsorships will really be what kicks off this game?

Might I lead you to the PBA, or professional billiards, or professional darts? Those "millions of dollars" would need to be immediately spent on courses, media production, courses, staff, and courses. Otherwise those "millions" wouldn't last if a sponsor goes and sees an event live, with some random joe cycling in the middle of a fairway during a major...

About two-thirds of most podcasts I've ever heard are largely useless filler anyways.[/QUOTE]

What are the other 1/3 non-useless filler podcasts you've heard?

Because "sinking millions" into sponsorships will really be what kicks off this game?

Might I lead you to the PBA, or professional billiards, or professional darts? Those "millions of dollars" would need to be immediately spent on courses, media production, courses, staff, and courses. Otherwise those "millions" wouldn't last if a sponsor goes and sees an event live, with some random joe cycling in the middle of a fairway during a major...
Yeah, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I know it's absurd for a sponsor to sink millions of dollars into the NT. I just pointed out that that subject constantly comes up on podcasts now and I think that's boring.

It sounds like you have beef against "pros." Why do you think pros don't spend time on here?
I don't have a beef with the pros. I don't think it's their job to promulgate anything. Their job is to be a pro. If an interviewer doesn't ask penetrating questions of a pro or an interviewer makes a pro sound boring, that's mostly down to the interviewer. I don't really have a beef with anyone. I just wish there was a better podcast out there.

I don't have a beef with the pros. I don't think it's their job to promulgate anything. Their job is to be a pro. If an interviewer doesn't ask penetrating questions of a pro or an interviewer makes a pro sound boring, that's mostly down to the interviewer. I don't really have a beef with anyone. I just wish there was a better podcast out there.

Why do you think they avoid these forums though?

I think the subject of sponsorship/broadcasting of disc golf has largely been settled. Any more laps around the why-can't-disc-golf-be-as-big-as-ball-golf track is boring to me. And it comes up all the time on podcasts.

What sort of penetrating questions are you looking for?

Disc golfers sound boring because the life of a touring pro really isn't that exciting. I'm sure it can be a lot of fun to basically live in a constant disc golf road trip, but it's not that much different than any other road trip.

Would you like me to podcast my drive home for the holidays?

Why do you think they avoid these forums though?
I didn't know they did. I see them reply here and there. If they do avoid the forums, I imagine they do because they might not have the time to engage on here? They'd rather get their word out in a more controlled way, through twitter, Facebook, Instagram, email, etc., or through their sponsors or in one-on-one interviews

Damn I came here hoping to find some more podcasts about disc golf. The only one I've found is The Disc Golf Answerman. Anyone else have suggestions about DG podcasts?

Perhaps more interesting info than rehashing the pro patter can come from movers and shakers in the sport like TDs, Club officers, course developers, manufacturers, online promoters, state coordinators and (inter)national figures administering the sport.

Coming up at the top of the hour...

* SEX in disc golf, is it real, or is it only in the Pro division?
* Can birdie bags really give you herpes? We investigate, you decide!
* The glamorous life of a 950 rated Pro Master, taking advantage of the system while protecting their game.
* Attractive female disc golfers who aren't pro, myth or reality?
* Will GG every grow a second nose, we have details that say YES!
* New reviews on the products you just can't be without, like any new plastic from anyone else but Innova, because you are a flaming disc golfer hipster.
* Is the turbo putt really a sign that you are in the Illuminati? Cult leaders argue!

Is that what you are looking for?

Latest posts