• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

What I'm worried about is The Memorial is slated to be the first stop on the DGPT next year.

It's usually an NT for pros and A-Tier for ams and I was planning on playing in it for the huge points that come along with placing well in it usually. I have points obelisk to win in 2017.

If The Memorial all of a sudden becomes non-sanctioned, well then I may have to cancel my travel plans. I mean this is all about me you know!

I think that is actually the point. Steve is potentially undermining something the members value. Will it impact him?

My thinking all along with the World Tour and the Pro Tour is that they were no different than any other regional/state "tour" or "series" that has (co-)existed with the PDGA for years. From the PDGA point of view, how are those two tours fundamentally different than a pick-your-state series? I don't recall the PDGA allowing directors of any random state series to have a seat at the table and a voice in determining scheduling. So from that perspective, the demands of Steve or Jussi to be given that privilege seems presumptuous at best.

I told Steve this in a conversation last year just after he'd announced the DGPT. I told him what I imagined his tour would do in the first few years is unite an assortment of PDGA events of varying sanction (NTs and A-tiers as it turned out) and make them a cohesive unit of similar events that would slowly and gradually expand to a TOUR run efficiently and successfully enough to rival or surpass anything that the PDGA does with the current NT. And at that point, the PDGA folks would likely disband the NT all together in favor of letting the DGPT or the DGWT or perhaps a combination of the two take the reigns of servicing the elite level of pro competition. Steve seems to be more interested in forcing such an outcome rather than let it come organically.

Seems to me the best form of compromise in the short-term is for the DGPT to sanction every one of their events as a B-tier. They'd be able to offer the ratings and points that many players will want, but also have the freedom to not have to have their dates approved to fit into any sort of PDGA dictated schedule like Majors, NTs, and A-tiers must. Make the DGPT events just as big and prestigious as ever, with far less PDGA "interference" and run with it. In five years, if the growth happens the way Steve seems to envision it, then the power play to push the PDGA out of the elite level event game (i.e. the NT) would have a bit more oomph. This all seems a bit premature and perhaps motivated by bruised egos in not being given the authority they think they deserve but haven't really earned.

Nicely written. Thanks!

My sources say that the PDGA will post a formal response to Steve's article/blog. They will outline the lies that Steve posted and how difficult he has been to work with.

Get your popcorn ready people.

That raises an even better question, how are the other manufacturers going to feel about this per say? There were discussions years ago about Innova running the whole show that came to nothing. Purely gossip. But now you have a producer trying to grab a piece of the show with their own disciplinary process and other rules and structures. How will that sit with Discraft at Ledgestone etc.?

Didn't Steve Dodge leave Vibram? Or am I misremebering something I read?

I think what's getting lost in all of this is the people that actually run the tournaments.

Will they be happy at all if the sanctioning for their pre-partnered events is pulled? But they will still have to enforce the pdga rules all the same.

Yeah this is a good thread of thought. If TDs get cold feet about all this DGPT drama, they have options. They can reach out to the DGWT and see if they're welcome in that boat. I'm guessing TDs of major tournaments have long histories in disc golf, at least a few of them are going to have some loyalty to the PDGA and might want to take a stand against any attempt to divide the sport. Or maybe Dodge knows already the TDs on his tour are with him? Time will tell.

I think that is actually the point. Steve is potentially undermining something the members value. Will it impact him?

Steve couldn't do this alone. He'd need the TD of each tournament to buy in. Just because The Memorial has always been a PDGA sanctioned event doesn't mean they own the tourney... the TD and local group would.

I'm not sure that when the new 2017 schedule was created, the TDs knew about the possibility that they'd have to potentially choose.

There are more wrinkles in this than my mother-in-law's face!

[looks like stratedge and I were typing at the same time via mind meld.]

My sources say that the PDGA will post a formal response to Steve's article/blog. They will outline the lies that Steve posted and how difficult he has been to work with.

:popcorn:

This work day is flying by again.

This all seems a bit premature and perhaps motivated by bruised egos in not being given the authority they think they deserve but haven't really earned.

This is the only issue I see with all this. It oozes egos, and not the bad kind. Just everyone trying to get a seat/voice at the table.

Then again I was thinking about the differences in approaches by each party. For Steve Dodge, this is what he is dedicating his life to. Everything that is him right now, is disc golf. 24/7. He bares it all out there for the community to see. Someone blazing a path that he thinks need to be blazed.

The response from the PDGA was pretty clear that they are a non-profit volunteer organization that has a life. A PDGA that sticks to its guideline and rules. Which is exactly how they should operate as governing body. I think discipline should be their responsibility, not Steve Dodge, although him not being interviewed after reporting it is interesting. I'm not saying the PDGA staff doesn't dedicate their life to disc golf, they clearly do, but they always fall back on the excuse of being volunteer. Thats not something you will hear come out of Steve's mouth.

You have a man on a mission in Steve Dodge vs a volunteer organization that is filling a roll. Two completely different styles. Things are going to clash.

This is so much better than arguing about how bad someone's bad behaviour is. :popcorn:

Not one to jump on the popcorn train but hell :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Just hope its juicy

:popcorn:

This work day is flying by again.

No, this is awful. It's my day off. It would liven up my workday, if they'd had the courtesy to have waited until tomorrow, but instead it's eating up a chunk of my play time.

Assuming we can all agree Bradley Williams' behavior at the Ledgestone Open deserves a suspension of some sort. Six month, one year, 18 months, whatever. It is fairly cut and dry.

Steve Dodge stated his desire to be a part of the PDGA disciplinary process when it involves DGPT events. Do we know with certainty that Steve will allow Bradley to play this weekend? If so, I think that decision will hurt Steve's credibility with regards to his requests/demands of the PDGA. He will not be building a case for himself to be a part of the PDGA's disciplinary process if he shows poor judgement in this particular situation.

Care to copy/paste for us not on fb?

"I was hoping the PDGA and DGPT were going to be partners in building the future of disc golf, but it looks like Steve decided to start the construction of DGPT's coffin instead." - Kevin McCoy

McCoy also posted a picture of a golf ball on a tee and wrote "This ball is going DEEP into the woods, and lost forever". Written on the ball... DGPT Steve Dodge.

"I was hoping the PDGA and DGPT were going to be partners in building the future of disc golf, but it looks like Steve decided to start the construction of DGPT's coffin instead." - Kevin McCoy

Well that isn't very professional and sounds pretty vindictive to me.

Steve Dodge stated his desire to be a part of the PDGA disciplinary process when it involves DGPT events. Do we know with certainty that Steve will allow Bradley to play this weekend? If so, I think that decision will hurt Steve's credibility with regards to his requests/demands of the PDGA. He will not be building a case for himself to be a part of the PDGA's disciplinary process if he shows poor judgement in this particular situation.

the PDGA needs Steve Dodge(and other super-TDs like him)

Steve Dodge does not need the PDGA

I'm hoping hes done dealing with the PDGA and the Pro Tour goes un-sanctioned next year. They will be giving the PDGA over $1000 in player fees for what benefit? worse stats than the protour already provides?

PS- for those that were around the PDGA message board 10+ years ago...I wonder if Jason Southwick is giggling in a corner somewhere saying " i told you so!"

Care to comment on the point I was making? Seriously...I'm not being snarky. I would like to know.

the PDGA needs Steve Dodge(and other super-TDs like him)

Steve Dodge does not need the PDGA

I'm hoping hes done dealing with the PDGA and the Pro Tour goes un-sanctioned next year. They will be giving the PDGA over $1000 in player fees for what benefit? worse stats than the protour already provides?

PS- for those that were around the PDGA message board 10+ years ago...I wonder if Jason Southwick is giggling in a corner somewhere saying " i told you so!"