• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Questionnaire

1. How old are you?
2. What state do you reside in?
Illinois
3. Number of years playing?
4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag?
Between 8 and 12
5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront?
Only one purchase ever made at a storefront. Everything else has been online.
6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc?
$20, and under.
7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store?
Once. On site at the Canyons at Dellwood Park.
8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs?
All of the rest, and a selection of single 19.2, &/or pounder cans of local craft.
9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?
If my answer to eight involves a disc golf shop. 41.2 miles. The distance for me to the Canyons.

Of course Brainerd area gets the nice courses after I LEAVE! We just had Lum Park, then eventually we put in CLC. Then St Mathias.

Now there's Breezy Point, Camp Ripley..

North Metro is pretty far from Brainerd... Like, St Cloud is in between and they have a DG/Coffee shop and a bunch of nice courses. That would be a lot of driving..

The hardest part is finding land to use - might I suggest a nice course in St Michael Albertville?? :) I know a properly trained and experienced member of the Designers group there ;) Land is EXPENSIVE and that makes it hard to just install a course anytime we want. As someone who has designed and installed courses - It's Worth It - go get it and good luck! Here's my survey

1. How old are you?
MN
In Store mostly / Then on Facebook to buy and sell so I can see the actual disc
Yep
MINIS :) Accessories like shirts, stools
9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for?
10 miles - if it was on the way of another trip.

1. How old are you? 32

2. What state do you reside in? Nebraska

3. Number of years playing? 3 months

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 25 right now, I just carry my full bag with me...
I plan to cut back to carrying 6-8 on the course

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Storefront or second-hand from friends

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $20

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yes, I get almost all of my brand new discs at Disc Store here in Omaha

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags and apparel

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? Anything within a 30-minute drive

1. How old are you?
California
Anywhere from 1 to 24. It depends on conditions, the course, and what I might be trying out/experimenting with/working on. Core Fade Lite bag is about 13 discs (3 P & A's, 5 mids, and 5 drivers). Core Fade Tourney bag is 17 (4 P & A's, 5 mids, and 8 drivers, with a few of those drivers switching in and out).
Right now, online. The local store opened about a year ago, but has had very little in lighter weights. The other places I've lived (Iowa and the KC area) since starting to play have had more storefront choices, and there my purchases were a lot more evenly split. Also, since I am most often looking for weights between 150 and 165, online has been getting more of my purchases, even though I'd rather support local stores, because it can take a lot of shopping around to find what I want. BTW, online for me includes the Marketplace her on DGCR.
$18
Yes, about half a dozen. The best for finding what I wanted was Disc Golf World in KC, though they have changed locations since I moved, and the old location is their warehouse, so I don't know if they are as good with not all their stock in one place.
Anything related to disc golf, so most of the same things that others have said. Some particular things: 1)I've loved that at Dynamic Discs in KC, and at Iron Lion in Moline, IL, I found nice CFR discs (5 years ago, after not being able to find a Cobra in premium plastic, it was at Iron Lion that I found a Star CFR Cobra). 2)It would be nice to be able test throw discs, as others have said. 3)Also as others have said, I love to dig through bins of used discs. I have made some great finds, and have been able to try out some new things cheaper, allowing me to not lose as much on something that didn't work for me, and leading to my buying more of things that did work.
If it is more than half an hour, then I would only be going if I could combine the trip with some other purpose.

It seems to me that one thing that would help a disc store be successful is running tournaments. I think this is one of the things that has made Dynamic Discs what they are, and has made a difference for Iron Lion. I could be wrong on that, though. <shrug>

Last edited:
Survey response

1. How old are you?

NH

Typically online. Although if there is a store at a course, I do tend to pick one up

$20

Yes

I think a solid disc golf store should have additional items that go along with an excellent disc golf outing. Perhaps local brews (as mentioned in other posts- fantastic idea), sports drinks/water, local brochures for other things to do in the area

Up in these parts, an hour is a relatively short distance

Hey everyone, I am in the process of starting up a disc golf store and down the road here a new course. I am looking to get some research done for the shop and need some answers to some questions if you have time. Thank you in advanced for the help hope to see y'all on the course! :clap:

1. How old are you? 30

2. What state do you reside in? WI

3. Number of years playing? A bunch.

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 16-20

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Both. Disc golf center if online or the local shop that only carries limited molds and limited hours if it is convenient.

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $20.

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yes, worked in one even.

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Cheap bags sold well, gatorade was a good seller, T-shirts did alright too. Innova was the only brand worth selling at the store I was at, everything else just sat and collected dust.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? The local shop is 2 minutes from the course I play at the most and I don't even go there for my stuff most of the time. Can't compete with the prices of online or the selection. If you have any specific questions for me regarding my experiences at the shop I worked at, I would love to answer. Shoot me a pm if you desire.

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me!

My message is too short.

Hey everyone, I am in the process of starting up a disc golf store and down the road here a new course. I am looking to get some research done for the shop and need some answers to some questions if you have time. Thank you in advanced for the help hope to see y'all on the course! :clap:

1. How old are you? 42

2. What state do you reside in? OH

3. Number of years playing? 9

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? 18,
I don't generally change my bag for different courses

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Online or tournaments. I'm rarely in a storefront, but usually buy a disc when I am

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $20,
but it had better be in darn good condition and OOP

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yes

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Hydration,
nutrition, Disc accessories

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? Honestly, I'm probably not going more than 10 or 15 minutes out of the way. Cuts down on throwing time ;)

Thanks, stay on lookout for another round of questions coming down the road! I appreciate you taking some time to answer these questions for me!

My answers in red

1. How old are you?

MN (Duluth)

~10

Depends; ~15 for casual (c14) and ~21 for tourney (B15)

Online mostly through DGC, but some MSt, G3T, with some minimal storefront at local Play it Again (they sponsor our university club so I have no problem going there!)

~$18, but I don't throw collectible/ancient plastic

Yeah, G3T

The exclusive DG stores? I suppose useful things, minis/stools/bags/etc

Probably not too far, as I shop online plenty!

1. How old are you?
32 next month

West Virginia

Nearly a decade

8-12 for casual play. 18-20 for competitive play.

A little of both

$25

Yes! We have a few in WV now. Other notables in our area are The Nati and Hazy Shade

Apparel, bags, targets, food, and drink

Not far unless it's close to a course I'm already playing.

1. How old are you?

Illinois

13-14

Storefront. This is largely because I'll try to get used discs from Play It Again Sports before shelling out for a full cost new disc.

$20 or just a hair less

Yes. Plastic Addicts in Peoria.

Bags, minis, shirts/sweatshirts, hats

About an hour.

1. How old are you? 32

2. What state do you reside in? Colorado

3. Number of years playing? 6

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? Can get by with 3, but there are 12-16 in the bag.

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Storefront, though more and more online.

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? Yep - One More Round, Mobile AL

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Accessories like towels, retrieval tools, baskets, bags, etc

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 10-30 miles, especially if there's a good course nearby.

1. How old are you? 46

2. What state do you reside in? michigan

3. Number of years playing? 3 months

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? I carry around 10-12 in the bag but really only use 4-6 per round.

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? Storefront

6. What is the most you can justify spending on a 'thrower' disc? $15

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Bags, other accessories

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 10-15 miles. There are already a lot of good stores in my area. Location is everything for any new store.

1. How old are you? 47

2. What state do you reside in? Oregon

3. Number of years playing? 4 years

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? I carry around 25 in my cart. Typical round will see me using about 10-12 of those.

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? 40% Online 40% Tournaments 20% Storefront (did not have any good disc golf stores where I last lived, I could see that percentage coming up if there was a disc golf store near me)

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? Hats, shirts, shoes, bags, towels, carts & cart accessories, rosin bags, disc retrievers.

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 45 miles.

1. How old are you? 58

2. What state do you reside in? MI

3. Number of years playing? 9

4. How many discs do you carry per round? How many are in the bag? about 30 in Zuca, 20+ in bag

5. Where do you normally purchase discs? Online or storefront? both

7. Have you been in a disc golf exclusive (disc golf only) store? no

8. What items do you like to see in stores besides discs? shirts

9. How far would you travel to go to a disc golf store if you knew it was quality and had a lot of variety in what your looking for? 50-100 miles

Latest posts