• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Resolutions for 2013

I failed my goal as i suspected but not a bad year considering weigt and physcial performance wise.

Loaning from Monocacy 1-3

Cock
Fuck
Shit
In that order grr. I got a new diagnosis that further hampers my ability to brace the plant step. What is worse my job makes the matter worse and seriously dampens my cross training by bicycling. I have found out a lot of things to try from other cyclists and am a third of the way in in physiotherapy for a new f me health issue. For which pharmaceutical "help" has been hotly disputed by some so i am not really enthusiastic about that prospect. Luckily i am more hopeful about alternative relief methods to my ailing knee. But i cannot make any prmises concerning 2014 despite voicing my hope of bicycling all of the local courses and playing them this year in a day. We are lucky to have four courses and a couple of minute practice coursees that i'm discounting in this town alone

4: Err not likely considering that i have been playing about 20 times since May two years ago aaaaargh!

5. That is again bitter sweet irony. I used to have terrible pains from FH throws. Now i had a lot of trouble BH and nothing mostly FH. Thanks to previous injury. So far i have not gotten any new injuries either way but that stems mostly from not throwing much at all! NOT nice :twisted:

6. As if.

7. This is why i have done more than half marathons on a bike and now my doctor told me to ride a bike at most two hours a day. WTF? And that was after telling him my longest ride was 103 kms mostly in a headwind. Yeah you have to plan for mostly headwind to nothing but. It happens. But i rode at a medium pace of 14 KPH when i was pedaling. I just rode 40 KPH in a good headwind on the hoods and ran out of space not gears or muscle power in a half kilometer sprint with way higher average speed for miles when i found a ground breaking deficiency in my pedaling technique and at least semi corrected it a week ago. So i hope to give the doctor a finger and do multi day multi course treks the next year. It sucks to have runners knee which is too soft a cartilege between the femor and the shin bone. Possibly ending up in arthritis.

So i am in rehab and possibly needing to take medicine and certainly adjusting my bike riding position. Like how the ½!!"¤%#&/¤(% did my seat twist to the left without me noticing with gel softening on top of the seat masking that error? I have an idea about how my whatisitcalled bag bearing part that moves around got kicked and twisted even the seat (F me). And other things i need to try out for better results like a higher seat position, wedges in the shoes tilting the foot toward the outer sides, foot orientation sideways in less way giving cleats (pricey and if only i could dare to film myself riding in these cold temps risking the camera) checking that my spinning of the crank is symmetrical at all power levels and adjusting the cleats to move the foot more forward as per something i read today. Smeg. Have i been cross training yourself to ruins in a "non impacting" sport as described by docs with many Finnish bikers experiencing running specific problems from cycling. Just like me meh.

So i have gained boatloads of pedaling power and gained more avg. and especially sprint speed not yet knowing how many Watts i produce in a given time period. I just got a different wheel in place after a puncture in dreary conditions at personal life time best speed despite head winds and non optimal posture. Knowing where i can test out an exercise bike with technique and power measurements (developed in my town) i can get an idea how much power i can produce for how long vs the best in the world. Match that in disc golf.

It just goes to show how little money there is in disc golf vs cycling. Or anything. I will test myself out and seeing what the doc says to my symptoms and newfound pedaling power and what i can achieve in rehab i still plan to go out of town on a bike and play on new courses while being a tourist and camping out en route to many new out of town courses. I challenge anyone to do the same with your own muscle power :) No matter what the doc says to me after the first rehab period is over. Then it is time for pharmaceutical attempts i assume and i have some time to test out different bike setups and switching from a cross country cleated shoe into a road specific type. I lose power to bending the shoe out of shape at the moment so it is not just set up thing i can try but equipment tweaking too. Like different pedals, shoe, aero helmet and aero suite (too large to get away with tricot suite though). Well the pain is in the eye and the brain of the beholder if me at current weight got into a cycling jersey... :D

JR - sorry to hear that your body is not cooperating with your intended activities. I can sympathize.

And you can borrow my goals whenever you like.

I hope i can keep on filming still. I should be fine except on very hilly courses. So the European Championships in Switzerland might prove tough for me.

Somehow the left cleat had twisted despite the screws being tight so i have ridden a few thousand miles with asymmetrical posture and pedaling motions last year. That may well have caused problems in the right knee. It is not the first time by any menas when i have gotten new aches from rehabbing old ailments. Seems like the only way i can get a break is to get it in a bone :-( Damn Shimano for making fluffy soles that allow movement of the cleat despite tightly secured screws. I mean scre... :roll: I think i'm done with off road shoes for cycling. They bend and lose power transferred to the pedals anyway. I hope that tougher road cycling shoes can at least maintain the cleat orientation. The weird thing is that i have checked the cleats now and then as per normal recommendations and tightened the screws a few times. That is if the screws would have budged being securely tightened all the time. Until the last check a few days ago :roll:

I hope you guys can keep on hucking. I think i will buy even less new plastic because i need to refrain from most of field practice. I think i turned a corner for the worse and will not easily gain power or D and will lose it for the rest of my life :-( Damn masters division... :lol:

Have you tried using a joint supplement such as tri-flex? It's isn't a cure-all but does help to reduce some of the pain/irratation.

Bad news... I am turning 35 this spring, which rounds up to 40. Good news... I can round to 40 for the next 9 years. I have a healthy back and healthy knees, so I am thankful for that.

I fulfilled one of my 2013 resolutions by developing a sidearm. Threw a duece for the first time with a flick off the tee during league on 12/18. I improved my putting from terrible to bad. Increased my distance to a reliable 375 feet. Only played in three tournaments but joined my first league (winter glow).

Goals for 2014...

-increase distance to a reliable 400 feet
-improve putting from bad to average
-learn to throw tomahawks/thumbers
-compete in 4 tournaments and two leagues

Hope you hit your goals. I have two months of rehab left and then if the pain persists i will go to see the doc again and we look at the options. I have read some running and cycling forums about knee problems and many athletes do not get help from quad training because it is already in good shape. I have over 60 mile cycling trips under my belt last year. Not everyone is helped by arthritis drugs but if the doctor ordets them i shall try them. There are shots of artificial knee joint lube available but it is about 400 usd over here. And they last half a year. They can help a lot i have been told. No lube in the joint can mean up to 100000 micro bone particles being removed from the bones on each movement of the knee.

I said the same to an older player with a more advanced stage of decay in his cartilege in the knee and he had had the shot and said it was painless and he felt a lot better and can train and play a lot better. But i said to him that with the Finnish good weather being so short one can play a season with just one shot and that is much less taxing on the wallet. Of course being able to play more and tour the world playing more events is not cheap either. So the shot might be like only a one trip to another European country as an expense. I am not that lucky my helath stops me from training enough to be able to manage multi round events without a drop in performance. And i never know on which day my body cooperates even for one round unless i have not put my arm to total rest for 3-4 days in advance which is hard work wise. So i do not have that problem in touring but filming is not much cheaper i only save the entry fees and OTOH cannot win my money back. Well there are so many great players in Europe that it is not in the cards anyway :-D At least unless i could find a workaround to my arm being busted which i have not since 1999 when i surgery that was not able to do more and remove all the problems. So i am afraid i am stuck for life with a bum arm. Disc golf is a really nice way of rehabbing and keeping up strength though :-D And a good motivator for cross training where the real power and working ability comes from.

Stringbean said:
Goals for 2014...

-increase distance to a reliable 400 feet - failed
-improve putting from bad to average - I went from bad to not bad but still below average
-learn to throw tomahawks/thumbers - I learned to throw them but not past 200 feet
-compete in 4 tournaments and two leagues - no leagues and 6 tournaments

Goals for 2015...
-increase distance to a reliable 400 feet
-improve putting from not bad to average
-compete in 8 tournaments with no rounds rated less than 900

I set up a 7x7 net in my basement so that I could fix some form flaws and develop positive muscle memory. It's working out really well as I don't have to spend time collecting discs. On Wednesday, I recorded three throws, identified a major flaw, and was able to fix it on the next three throws... all in less than 10 minutes.

Dick's Sporting Goods... http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...2698&catargetid=120138600001586809&cadevice=c

The $35 does not include the frame, it is a replacement net. I built a 7x7x3 frame out of PVC for less than $20. The net works out really well because there is a ton of slack within the 7 foot square. It catches the disc flat and then turns it vertical as it absorbs the momentum, then springs back and places the disc on the ground causing it to roll back to me.

Latest posts