• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Scramble - rules?

gcoghill

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
How do disc golf scrambles work? I have a vague understanding, but have never participated in one. I got my Dad interested in playing disc golf, and have discussed playing scrambles with him at the course near him - I know they run scrambles but not sure what the setup is.

How do disc golf scrambles work? I have a vague understanding, but have never participated in one. I got my Dad interested in playing disc golf, and have discussed playing scrambles with him at the course near him - I know they run scrambles but not sure what the setup is.

It is usually "Best Shot." This means everyone throws a drive and as a group you decide which one you like the best/ Then all the others go get their discs and bring them to the best one and shoot from there for your second shot...and so on. So you get one score for the whole team on each hole.

They do have "Best Score" also. This is where everyone plays their own disc and you mark down the best score from all of your scores, as your team score on the card. But this one is not used as often. It is more likely the first one is how it will be where you are at.

Try to avoid worst shot doubles. Usually "best shot" or best round like Donovan said.

Like was said best shot is what I have seen which is what a ball golf "scramble" is also. There are other ways to play teams and some were already mentioned. The same formats that are used for Ball golf can be used fir disc. You can do alternate shot where you simply take turns and there are some options for rules for that.

Doubles formats

As was said, scrambles are typically played at "Best Shot". There are four typical formats for doubles:

• Best Shot
  • Worst Shot
  • Alternating Shot
  • Best Disc
Worst Shot is just the opposite of Best Shot, except that the other team on your card decides for you which shot was worst.

Alternating shot is pretty obvious, take turns throwing from each subsequent lie. I.e. whoever holes out, the other player tees off on the next hole.

Best Disc is where each player plays the hole individually and the Best score for that hole is the score for the team on that hole.

Texas State Doubles plays rounds with all four types. It really makes things interesting and can test team unity ;)

ERic

Worst Shot is just the opposite of Best Shot, except that the other team on your card decides for you which shot was worst.

Forgive my noob-ness, but I have never played ball golf. What do you mean by the "other team on your card"?

Also, how are teams picked? Do you need to bring a partner to play, or are people just divided up randomly between all that show up?

I did do some Googling on this and surprisingly couldn't find any info related specifically to disc golf scrambles, or even ball golf scrambles. Maybe I was searching for the wrong terms?

Thanks for the help guys.

There is usually 2 teams playing the same hole together. Team partners are often drawn by matching like playing cards, so it is usually random.

Forgive my noob-ness, but I have never played ball golf. What do you mean by the "other team on your card"?

Also, how are teams picked? Do you need to bring a partner to play, or are people just divided up randomly between all that show up?

Card is short for "scorecard". When you play a singles tournament there are typically four people assigned to each scorecard who will play the entire round together. Initial assignments vary, sometimes it's random, sometimes alphabetical, sometimes by player rating... In subsequent rounds the scorecards should be assigned based on cumulative scores from the previous rounds such that the "top card" consists of the four players with the best scores. This has the benefit that you're playing with your direct competition.

For doubles tournaments it varies by event. In most tournament events you will bring your own partner. But there are a wide variety of formats out there. Many casual events will pick teams randomly from the people that show up. A "card" in a doubles event is still usually four people, but now that's two teams.

We have a tournament coming up on the 27th where the first round is singles and the second round is doubles. The pairing for the doubles is the best singles score teams with the worst singles score, then the second best with the second worst, and on down the line. It will be interesting to see that work.

ERic

Cool, thanks EricJ. I recall playing a loose scramble with some friends years ago and it was fun. Couldn't remember how it all worked (or if it was organized right, it was just 6 of us).

Latest posts