• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf "TERMS"...

To D.W.G.'s point about playing a sport or doing any activity without really knowing the "terms," it is definitely valid. I have engaged in plenty of activities where people less intense about it than me know more of the nomenclature. Bike riding is my example. I have been riding bikes (road and mountain) much of my life (I have done several road tours) but couldn't converse intelligently about it with a guy that works in a bike shop. :eek:

I was very glad to find this thread. I've been throwing for years, but I'm not well versed in the terms I've been reading in the forums. So thank you D.W.G. for asking. Thank you Kanuga for answering. And thank you Olorin for the helpful link.

sleep.gif
sleep.gif

Yeah I know what a Brooklyn strike is(NEVER THREW ANY) but I know what it is... I was talking more on the line of technical terms in bowling(axis weight--c.g.--differential--flare) stuff like that... I bowled for 30 years, racked up a few 300 games, but all I did was threw the ball... My equipment when I hung it up was 6-10 years old(most competitive bowlers get new stuff each year)... I just liked to bowl, and did it well---I just like to throw disc(NOT SO WELL)...

I grew up in Brooklyn, so when we got a strike like that we called it a "Jersey". I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Look them up. Its good to do you own research, and you'll learn a lot more reading from different sites and watching videos than from whatever we would type in a thread.

the best way to learn things and for them to actually sink in is for you to find them out for yourself...

+1

I grew up in Brooklyn, so when we got a strike like that we called it a "Jersey". I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

That is an interesting bit of insight. I guess it is the people from Jersey who are backwards...just maybe.:confused:

1) Overstable - the quick and simple definition is for a RHBH (right handed back handed) thrower, the disc will fade to the left at the end of the flight, but according to Dave Feldberg, an overstable disc just wants to crash to the ground as soon as possible.

This isn't entirely accurate. Any disc will fade at the end of it's flight- over stability is referencing the "turn" of the disc as well- only rather than going to the right for a RHBH thrower, the disc has a tendency to turn to the left. Both will fade, and that's not what it's saying.

When spin speed slows, every disc will turn OPPOSITE the direction of the spin. "Overstability" refers to how difficult it is to make that disc turn in the SAME direction of it's spin.

This is not entirely accurate - and actually a bit misleading.

A discs stability is a description of the tendency of a disc to turn in flight.

Stability is generally dependent on speed - so in that sense JohnRocks statement is 99% correct. But not all discs will fall opposite the direction of spin as it slows. Some discs like the optimizer, or the Aero I have been throwing for 30 years - are so understable - they will never fall back against the spin.

A stable disc has the tendency to fall/turn in the opposite direction of the spin. Most discs are somewhat stable when they are brand new.
An overstable disc has a tendency to fall/turn in the opposite direction of the spin in a more severe fashion.
An unstable/understable disc has the tendency to turn in the direction of the spin.

So for the RHBH thrower - stable / overstable goes left
unstable / understable goes right.

Unstable discs are the easiest for beginners to learn with, and generally have less mass on the rim.
Overstable discs are the most difficult for beginners and generally have much more mass on the rim.