• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Unchained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ads are a necessary evil, my friend. I currently have them displaying on the tee signs which I think is less obtrusive than most games out there. Plus it's a fairly accurate depiction of reality. Whatever your opinion is on the matter, ad-removal is one of the in game purchases that I'm planning on making available so if you hate them...

That seems like a good idea to me, the ads are in there, but aren't annoying and obtrusive. Do you know if you would get money just for having the ads, or is it only when people click the ads? I'm just curious and if you have any companies lined up to purchase the ads.

Is there going to be a difficulty option?

Yeah. I'm thinking the only significant differences between difficulty levels will be the flight preview (flight path while aiming). Normal mode is the full flight without wind taken into account. Easy mode will show the full flight with wind. Hard would be either no or limited length preview. Or something like that. Play testing will really determine how it plays out.

That seems like a good idea to me, the ads are in there, but aren't annoying and obtrusive. Do you know if you would get money just for having the ads, or is it only when people click the ads? I'm just curious and if you have any companies lined up to purchase the ads.

Impressions are good but click throughs are where the money is at. I'll start out with admob or similar services due to the easy integration and management.

Yeah. I'm thinking the only significant differences between difficulty levels will be the flight preview (flight path while aiming). Normal mode is the full flight without wind taken into account. Easy mode will show the full flight with wind. Hard would be either no or limited length preview. Or something like that. Play testing will really determine how it plays out.

This sounds like the wind will be a constant. I like the idea of wind being gusty. Sometimes, if you push the limits of your 30 seconds, you can find a moment of little wind.

This sounds like the wind will be a constant. I like the idea of wind being gusty. Sometimes, if you push the limits of your 30 seconds, you can find a moment of little wind.

Wind is currently constant per shot. I like the gusting idea though... it's an interesting game mechanic that I haven't thought about. I'm picturing the flight preview line kinda swaying in the wind and then creeping in one direction as the wind picks up requiring some adjustment to the throw. I'm gonna have to play around with this...

Any closer of an idea when this will hit the market? It's hard to find a good disc golf game, especially on the android market.

So who won the caption contest? I liked everyone else's except mine of course, but I was hoping that we might be able to convince them that the disc name selection could start at "scooby".

Any closer of an idea when this will hit the market? It's hard to find a good disc golf game, especially on the android market.

All I can say is that I'm going to do everything possible to release in 2013.

So who won the caption contest? I liked everyone else's except mine of course, but I was hoping that we might be able to convince them that the disc name selection could start at "scooby".

Working on it. I'll PM the winner later today and get the disc in the game right away for all to see.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the caption contest. Congrats to dickparker for the winning caption:

"If you get an ace, I'm not paying."

If you couldn't guess from the profile pic, dickparker wanted an overstable fairway driver. Introducing... the Ricochet. Watch for it in future gameplay videos.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the caption contest. Congrats to dickparker for the winning caption:

"If you get an ace, I'm not paying."

If you couldn't guess from the profile pic, dickparker wanted an overstable fairway driver. Introducing... the Ricochet. Watch for it in future gameplay videos.

First Disc Golf win of my career... I'll take it.

Dayem... Win a contest, kill a thread.

Ha, well, that's okay. Less social interaction equals more work on the game for me. I've actually been getting into some really interesting stuff with the terrain engine. Although... a new Borderlands 2 DLC came out this week and a new course is opening in two hours close to me so I'm pretty sure that development this weekend will be limited...

So how does headwind and tailwind work into the game? Do they work like they do in real life? How much work has gone into the skip mechanic? Do you have different types of trees with better/worse chances of disc penetration? The last disc golf game I played defined "iron leaf" and it would be cool to have a chance to break through foliage on occasion.

So how does headwind and tailwind work into the game? Do they work like they do in real life? How much work has gone into the skip mechanic? Do you have different types of trees with better/worse chances of disc penetration? The last disc golf game I played defined "iron leaf" and it would be cool to have a chance to break through foliage on occasion.

The current wind implementation is fairly accurate as far as what I would expect in real life. It is also the easiest way to add difficulty to the game.

Disc to ground contact has been a pain to say the least. Skips are currently pretty generic (everything kinda flares towards the fade direction) ever since I borked things on one of my many attempts to implement some sort of rolling mechanic (for both full-on rollers and simple rollaways as a disc comes to rest). I'm not terribly happy with the current implementation so I'm sure I'll be refactoring all of this before the game is released.

I plan on designing a handful of generic tree types with realistic interactions (deflections, getting stuck, plinko, breaking through foliage, etc). My modelling skills are still a little green but the trees shown in the "baskets" screenshot were my first attempt at a low poly tree from scratch (those are under 160 polys each, believe it or not) and I'm more than happy with them for my first attempt.

Still Alive

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop in and give a quick update on Unchained.

Development has been in full swing and the game has evolved quite a bit since we've last talked (don't worry, my core objectives are still the same). I've gotten to a point where I've pretty much shelved the prototype and have been working on writing release-worthy code. I'm not ready to go into details yet (soon, I promise) but maybe this screenshot (in-game on my phone, Galaxy S3) will give some idea of the direction that I'm taking the game. Flight is still smooth as butter too, even on the phone.

Keep on throwing the plastic!

-adam

Just a thought, are all the discs going to look plain, or are there going to be stamps on them? Even if they aren't actually stamps just designs? I think that'd look kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.