• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf Vending Machine

I would pick up a DX Leopard if there happened to be a bright color on the front. Same thing with DX Sharks. Can't have too many of either.

Birdman, wow, that was almost funny, until it became creepy. Normally I wouldn't respond to such a post however you are breaking the law in threatening us - FYI. TeeBoxx is an organization, not a random chucker you see out on the course.

Did I miss something here? I didn't see a threat anywhere. Just a joke.

Did I miss something here? I didn't see a threat anywhere. Just a joke.

The picture with a caption saying "I'm going to do this" is a threat isn't it? But I can see why you would be confused if you haven't read the whole thread. There's been a couple of threats from Birdman.

That said, I think this is a great idea. Introduce new people to our sport, bring more money into it and it will grow! How many times have people asked you, "What are ya'll doing? Disc golf? Where do I get discs?" Answer, right over there at the Teeboxx! Then, the second they bang chains, they are hooked, go to the local retailers (if any!!!!!), or just maybe get on DGCR and buy some of your plastic! I think it is positive growth. Foolproof? No, but what is?

And you there Mr. This is an awful idea, I'm going to laugh when you shank one of your go to discs into the snake pit during a crucial match, then go running to the Teeboxx for a quick fix!!!!:doh:

Haven't read the entire thread, but it might be a good idea to provide some simple guide or rating that indicates which discs are/aren't beginner friendly (i.e. warp speed drivers). The last thing you want is a newb thinking, "Seems neat, let's give it a try," and they buy a Wraith or a Nuke and get majorly discouraged because they can't do anything but throw meathook shots with it.

Haven't read the entire thread, but it might be a good idea to provide some simple guide or rating that indicates which discs are/aren't beginner friendly (i.e. warp speed drivers). The last thing you want is a newb thinking, "Seems neat, let's give it a try," and they buy a Wraith or a Nuke and get majorly discouraged because they can't do anything but throw meathook shots with it.

How is that any different from how things are now?

Not any different from a buying in most convenience stores, but it is different from buying from a shop where people can make solid recommendations. I'm just saying a few "SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS" clearly visible on discs like Sharks, Buzzz, etc.. would be good. Likewise, maybe "SUITABLE FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS" on warp speed stuff, just to serve as a warning.

Those recommendations would likely be ignored by intermediate/advanced players, but it might help get suitable discs into beginners hands. Can you really argue that's bad for anybody? Probably not as useful at convenience stores because the discs often get shuffled around and end up in the wrong racks.

Last edited:
After reading this thread the biggest (unresolved) issue with the Teebox to me is not security but it's appeal to exclusively beginners over more experienced players, So...
Why not have each Teebox sponsor dyers. Local dyers could be asked to buy one to several racks of popular molds, useable across all skill levels, (Roc, Buzz, Aviar, et cetera...). Dyed discs would cost a few bucks more, and the dyers would be reimbursed for blank discs. Best of all these would most likely be purchased from local brick and mortar stores or online, thus minimizing competition because most places don't do individualized dyes. Each disc purchased from that rack would have been handled and custom dyed by a die hard disc golfer and could even have a cool local tourney stamp to boot. Just tape a small note, about the size found in a fortune cookie, on the front of the disc with the mold, plastic blend, and weight. Both beginners and better players should love it. Plus it's a new and innovative way to promote the game and expand business. (by sponsoring dyers who will likely get only a small amount of money but have a wider audience for their art plus a free canvas). So?; Ross, Martin, Aaron, dyers or longtime players, this sound interesting?

Not any different from a buying in most convenience stores, but it is different from buying from a shop where people can make solid recommendations. I'm just saying a few "SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS" clearly visible on discs like Sharks, Buzzz, etc.. would be good. Likewise, maybe "SUITABLE FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS" on warp speed stuff, just to serve as a warning.

Those recommendations would likely be ignored by intermediate/advanced players, but it might help get suitable discs into beginners hands. Can you really argue that's bad for anybody? Probably not as useful at convenience stores because the discs often get shuffled around and end up in the wrong racks.

They have this. The different "shelves" so to speak have different categories labeled next to them, starting at novice.

After reading this thread the biggest (unresolved) issue with the Teebox to me is not security but it's appeal to exclusively beginners over more experienced players, So...
Why not have each Teebox sponsor dyers. Local dyers could be asked to buy one to several racks of popular molds, useable across all skill levels, (Roc, Buzz, Aviar, et cetera...). Dyed discs would cost a few bucks more, and the dyers would be reimbursed for blank discs. Best of all these would most likely be purchased from local brick and mortar stores or online, thus minimizing competition because most places don't do individualized dyes. Each disc purchased from that rack would have been handled and custom dyed by a die hard disc golfer and could even have a cool local tourney stamp to boot. Just tape a small note, about the size found in a fortune cookie, on the front of the disc with the mold, plastic blend, and weight. Both beginners and better players should love it. Plus it's a new and innovative way to promote the game and expand business. (by sponsoring dyers who will likely get only a small amount of money but have a wider audience for their art plus a free canvas). So?; Ross, Martin, Aaron, dyers or longtime players, this sound interesting?

Yeah your thinking in the same direction as us except we're thinking the mold, weight and rating can be in the dye instead of on paper, that may end up on the ground. We do however, want to keep consistency in the message when it comes to how the manufacturers communicate their products. The equipment is confusing as is so we don't want to add to that if we can help it. Good feedback man!

If I read the map correctly, it appears your first box is in So Fla? Am I correct?
If so, why did you put it there? It's not like SoFla is a disc golf hotbed... Was the thinknking because there are so few disc retailers there?

I didn't read all the pages so sorry in advance. But this would be MUCH better if it was more in line with redbox than a traditional vend, that way you could select any disc from inventory and the machine would grab it and vend to you behind the scenes.

If I read the map correctly, it appears your first box is in So Fla? Am I correct?
If so, why did you put it there? It's not like SoFla is a disc golf hotbed... Was the thinknking because there are so few disc retailers there?

Not necessarily, it had more to do with the potential of the Miami market due to the pop density there. And that the city simply cut through the red tape faster then any other city we're working with.

As a member of the Broward Discs Golf Association (a club in South Florida) with over a hundred members. I resent the notion that we are not a disc golf hotbed. Come down and play some time in the summer and you will change your mind.

Joe - Sorry if you took it that way, but truly no offense was intended.

I grew up in North Miami Beach, and lived in Ft Laud as well as Lake Worth. Compared to other metropolitan areas like Detroit, Charlotte, DFW, Pittsbugh, Cincy... So Fla simply doesn't have the same DG activity, nor the number of courses. If I'm not mistaken there's all 2 in all of Broward County (I saw some posts about a 3rd in development), another 5 in Dade, and two 8's and two 9's in Palm Beach. I've played Easterlin, Tradewinds and Okeeheelee - I just didn't see much traffic on any of them. When I play Kensington, Stony Creek, Firefighters, Benton Hills, Wagner... there are always plenty of other players (not that I necessarily like it).

I'm not saying So Fla has no Disc Golf scene, but it simply hasn't developed the userbase that other area's have.

And with the weather you get down there, I'd expect it to be busier in the fall and winter than during spring and summer, when it's tough to escape the heat.