• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf vs Ball Golf

100% true. Ive played ball golf for about 8 or 9 years now and disc golf about 4 months. The easy par 67 course I play in ball golf here in Orlando I have never shot better than a +11 round. The 3 or 4 disc golf courses that I would consider mildy difficult I have consistently shot even par with a personal best of -4 at Debary. I love disc golf. I play every weekend. But there just is no debate as to which is a harder sport. Skillwise, I am closer to Paul McBeth than I am to Tiger Woods.

I think that if you played a gold level high par course like Iron Hill you'd find a more similar score discrepancy between an average player and a top player. You'd be closer in score to Tiger if you both played an executive par 3 course and that's basically what most of our disc golf courses are (except our putting is way easier which makes for less of a distinction between great putters and average ones).

As a Recreational Sport, Disc Golf is better. Competitive sport, Ball Golf may take it.

Personally, I think ball golf is a waste of space and more importantly water.

As resources become scarce and folks generally are getting more environmentally conscious many ball golf courses are keenly aware of the water resources they use. And they are taking steps to recycle water as well as using ever more drought tolerant grasses.

I'm a much better ball golfer then disc golfer. I think both sports take massive amounts of skill to be scratch level or better but disc golf is probably easier overall. In ball golf you have to be really good at more aspects. Short game and putting are much tougher in ball golf to become great at and very important overall compared to disc golf. What I like about disc golf is the massive variety of lines and shots you can play, holes have more variety and disc selection. Ball golf is simpler in the long game and being finely tuned into hitting the same type of shots over and over.

Short game and putting are much tougher in ball golf to become great at and very important overall compared to disc golf. ... Ball golf is simpler in the long game and being finely tuned into hitting the same type of shots over and over.

Good points. They say "drive for show, putt for dough" in both sports, but it's more appropriate for traditional golf. In disc golf, it's almost the other way 'round entirely.

No doubt in my mind that ball golf is harder than disc golf in pretty much every aspect of the game, but particularly putting, because the ball has to follow the countours of the green... not a factor in disc golf unless you miss your putt. I think the average person can become reasonably proficient at DG faster than they with at BG. Shorter distances, larger targets... you can probably play around with the numbers to determine that statistically, you're more likely to hit land within x% of the target playing DG.

More obvious: ball golf costs more than disc golf, is more popular than disc golf, is more accepted by the general population than disc golf, and the money earned by pros differs by orders of magnitude.

One big difference is the far greater variety in hole design and courses. Think of how very different disc golf courses are from each other, and the vastly different holes you might find on the same course.
Great point. I think DG holes have significantly greater variety.

Last edited:
Trying to get it into 4" hole from 400 yards away vs. a 24" basket from 400 ft.

Trying to get it into 4" hole from 400 yards away vs. a 24" basket from 400 ft.

Not to mention, hitting a ball in the woods is far more mentally tough then throwing a disc out of the woods (those who disagree obviously haven't sucked enough at golf to have terrible root lies, and worry about breaking their clubs/having a ball come back at them).

Also, if you hit a ball into the rough, the shot becomes significantly more difficult. Whereas if you throw a disc into tall grass, you can still perform a full run-up. Bunker shots, pot holes...and let's not forget a rule in golf that is absent in disc golf (for the worse, IMO)...

In disc golf, you play your discs where you went OB. In other words, the last place it was "in bounds", this is not true in golf...

"The penalty for OB is commonly called "stroke and distance." This means that a one-stroke penalty is added to the score, and the ball must then be dropped as nearly as possible to the spot from which the original shot was played. In effect, this is a two-stroke penalty, since the player has gained no distance from the original shot; it is as if the original shot had never been played at all. Because of this, repeated OB shots can add several shots to a player's score quickly."

Imagine if this was enforced in PDGA tournaments, I only WISH this was the case. Stop giving free distances, and a gift, for a shot that went OB.

just my soapbox.

Good points. They say "drive for show, putt for dough" in both sports, but it's more appropriate for traditional golf. In disc golf, it's almost the other way 'round entirely.

No doubt, A 20 foot putt is made by pros 5-6% in ball golf and 90% in disc golf. Disc golf you are playing for birdie with the long game as it's easy to make putts. Trying to hit into gimme range from 150 yards (4-5 feet) is much harder and not realistic to expect.

My best round ever in ball golf (66) was because of my short game and putting. I hit only 10 greens in reg. Chipped in twice and was making everything I looked at. 21 putts for the round. I've also had rounds where I've hit 17 greens and shot 73. Made nothing on the greens all day.

It is more difficult to strike a ball than to throw a disc. However, I can easily conceive of a disc golf course that would be difficult enough as to require as much skill to par as a ball golf course. There just aren't many disc golf courses of that caliber.

Latest posts