• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Vs. GOLF or Ball Golf

Do you call golf, Golf, or Ball Golf?

• Golf

Votes: 65 52.0%
  • Ball Golf

Votes: 60 48.0%

• Total voters
Maybe we should start calling it "stick golf". I like that. That's on par with "frolf".

Definitely "Disc Golf," because "frolf" sounds like that crap at the bottom of your cup of $6 coffee... lol!

Yeah, I was just quoting something that was posted at the very beginning of this thread, lol!

haha, i guess with all the hatred towards "frolf" because of the frisbees not being the correct name for the equiptment i'm going to start spreading DOLF :) haha sorry just had to throw another iron on the fire. keep on chuckin everyone

ahh DOLF...nothing like good old fashioned humor to get you through the day

I am serious about disc golf, and love it very much, and use the term disc golf exclusively with non DGers, even when they have no idea what Im talking about until I have to give a long explanation, because it puts what I do in a better perspective. However, I still know many golfers (ball golfers) who laugh at me and think Im joking when I talk about my love for disc golf, because its something thats not seen to them as anything that could be taken seriously. Unfortunately a few of them I've taken out have done so bad the first time theyve played that they never were willing to give it a chance and still think that it's a ridiculous thing to do. We don't need to actively discredit ourselves.

I have a ball golfin friend that used to say "7 dollars for a piece of plastic is crazy" and follow that up with "its an OK game but I cant believe people actually care about this" and always end the conversation with "I guess its alright if you suck at golf but its not worth the money"

Now he is trying to pawn off his golf clubs for a bigger disc golf bag to hold his "melted down coke bottles" :D

and hes a DGCR member :D:D:D

Why do the Ultimate players get a cool sounding sport? Maybe we should call disc golf "Excellent." Maybe Super Ultimate or Ultimate Infinity Plus One. How about Superior Golf?

Why do the Ultimate players get a cool sounding sport? Maybe we should call disc golf "Excellent." Maybe Super Ultimate or Ultimate Infinity Plus One. How about Superior Golf?

Golf Ultra Plus with Power Scrubbers?

"7 dollars for a piece of plastic is crazy"

Thats funny $7 for a disc is too much, yet depending on how good he is at golf he may lose anywhere from 0-10 golf balls per round. How much is he paying for a golf ball??? If new he is spending a minimum of $1.50 per ball, so lets just say he is an average golfer and scores a bogey per hole on average. He likely will be losing 1-2 balls per round. My $7 disc investment better get me at least 10-20 rounds. I have only lost 2 discs so far in like 60 rounds. I have also found about 12 discs in that time (7 in one pond) and yes I have called the people whose discs had names or numbers on them (5 of the 12). I even went on facebook to find a guy who had an old phone # and his name on the disc.

Now when you talk finances, it becomes even more skewed to the disc golf side. Disc golf costs nothing, almost everywhere. Golf costs at least $15-25 per round, plus if you are lazy or simply need to ride a cart, there's another $15. HMMM Doesnt add up in my mind! This from a guy who plays about 40 rounds of golf per year. I might trade in about 10 rounds of golf this year to play in disc golf tourneys though! I need to cut back on spending somewhere!

I don't know anywhere that only charges $15 to play golf, unless maybe you're talking about the supertwilight Tuesday rate in January. ;)

And don't forget the expense of the golf clubs. The guy not only has to buy balls for a dollar or two a pop, but he also has to buy a set of clubs for at least $300, and that's for a cheap set. When you start investing in fancy irons, the latest generation of woods, and one of those stupidly tricked out putters, you can easily spend $1000 on clubs alone.

So yeah. Next time your bolfing buddies mock you for spending $13 on your discs, ask them how much they spent on their clubs. :cool:

I don't know anywhere that only charges $15 to play golf, unless maybe you're talking about the supertwilight Tuesday rate in January. ;)

And don't forget the expense of the golf clubs. The guy not only has to buy balls for a dollar or two a pop, but he also has to buy a set of clubs for at least $300, and that's for a cheap set. When you start investing in fancy irons, the latest generation of woods, and one of those stupidly tricked out putters, you can easily spend $1000 on clubs alone.

So yeah. Next time your bolfing buddies mock you for spending $13 on your discs, ask them how much they spent on their clubs. :cool:

Where I live (In Mercer County, NJ), Mercer County residents can get really good rates at our county courses. I.e. around $15-20 depending onthe time of day ... oh and 'bolf' balls/clubs are outrageous. I'm lucky since I had a complete set of Taylor-Made clubs given to me ... but if I had bought them I would have spent $$$. :)

My golf clubs are either el cheapos or I got them used, and my driver is a demonstrator I got a deal on. They hit the ball fine, though most golfers would be embarrassed to own them. You're lucky you were given a nice set of Taylor Made clubs.

I'm 24 and i've been playing golf/ball golf since i was 7. I don't think I've ever heard it called ball golf till now. Then again I didn't start playing disc golf till a month ago haha. My friend who golfs was joking with me cause I was talking about how I bout 2 new discs. I promptly told him that for the price he pays to play one 18 hole round I can buy 4 discs and play 27 holes. Then I stole his beer for good measure!

Last edited:
I always make the distinction to say "ball golf" even to non disc golfers, I find it's important to show to outsiders in general that we take this sport seriously, to varying degrees of course, but I still like to show that we think of the sports as truly separate, not necessarily better or worse but with their own unique styles and cultures. As for the term frolf, I definitely don't like the sound, I feel it makes the sport just sound silly, I will occasionally use the term frisbee golf, especially if I'm talking to a non golfer, it's just a lot easier to recognize.

I'm 24 and i've been playing golf/ball golf since i was 7. I don't think I've ever heard it called ball golf till now. Then again I didn't start playing disc golf till a month ago haha. My friend who golfs was joking with me cause I was talking about how I bout 2 new discs. I promptly told him that for the price he pays to play one 18 hole round I can buy 4 discs and play 27 holes. Then I stole his beer for good measure!

Nice. Next time I'm tempted to go play a round of ball golf, I'll know in the back of my mind I could've bought several discs with the same money, and enjoyed them for many rounds rather than one. You may have just ruined golf for me. :rolleyes:

Another option for the naming convention, taking after football, would be to say Scottish golf and California golf. How does that sound?

Nice. Next time I'm tempted to go play a round of ball golf, I'll know in the back of my mind I could've bought several discs with the same money, and enjoyed them for many rounds rather than one. You may have just ruined golf for me. :rolleyes:

Haha, I apologize. Just look at it this way. We don't get to use carts :)

Latest posts