• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Vs. GOLF or Ball Golf

Do you call golf, Golf, or Ball Golf?

• Golf

Votes: 65 52.0%
  • Ball Golf

Votes: 60 48.0%

• Total voters
Nobody is having a hissy.. it's just something a lot of us disagree with. I don't think it's our place to accept it just because some people use the term. If I started walking around calling ball golf "bolf" I don't think most golfers would roll over and be like "ok, bolf it is!". I think with organizations like the PDGA and DGA it's pretty clear the proper name for the sport is "Disc Golf".

well said!

You know what's funny? I've never in six years of playing, ever heard anyone actually say the word "frolf". The term just appears in stories that I've read.

As for that other kind of golf, how I refer to it depends on whom I'm talking to. Around DG'ers, you kind of have to call it ball golf to make the distinction. Around the laymen, I just call it golf.

Frolf : disc golf :: hoops : basketball
Thought I'd bring back some SAT nightmares. I say disc golf unless I'm talking to Sean Hannity and then I say "Goin' to the frisbee park" to keep his fake Irish head from exploding in twain.

I use "frolf" to refer to people playing disc golf with a Frisbee. Since a Frisbee never enters into my rounds of disc golf I would not consider myself a frolfer. I do consider this an important distinction to make so while I would not be offended if someone referred to me as a frolfer I would likely explain to them difference as I see it.

I primarily use ball golf but that is because I never discuss ball golf with anyone who doesn't also play disc golf and as a result it has become habit. Ball golf also seems more precise since there are now multiple forms that golf can take. It seems that if we are going to accurately categorize all types of golf we would have to start with the umbrella term Golf. We would then have to create subcategories of say Ball Golf, Disc Golf, Freeform Golf, and even Miniature Golf. We could even then have further subcategories of Doubles Disc Golf and Singles Disc Golf. We could refer to the subcategory of Ball Golf as simply golf but this would be ambiguous and confusing. Now, of course, this is simply referring to a technical categorization of terms and has nothing to do with the identification that people will make when hearing the word "golf" which is what is actually important when defining words.

Sorry, that sort of got away from me and I decided to just go with it.

I don't hear frolf ever, however my friends and I used to call it that when we first started playing (as if we had invented the term.)

The most common thing I hear from the common public is frisbee golf, and I just try to politely correct them and let them know that it is called disc golf.

As for ball golf, I am like most and call it either, depending on who I am talking to and the context of the conversation.

The term "bolf" is a new one to me, I may start using that just to be funny.

Having only read the initial post, here are my thoughts:

1. I have found that I really dislike people calling Disc Golf Frolf for some reason. Maybe this is because Wham-O has the word Frisbee trademarked or something like that so if you are playing with any other companies discs, you are technically not frolfing but Disc Golfing. And by the way I believe that Wham-O makes the worst discs for anything and everything.

2. When I am around people who Disc Golf I call it Ball Golf as that seems to be the accepted way to make the distinction, plus I like the sound of it.

3. When I am around people who Golf with a ball I call it Golf, because that is what it is.

I used to teach Ball Golf and since starting to play Disc Golf, I now call them both by there object name. Ball Golf & Disc Golf.

I don't call it golf OR ball golf OR ballf. I call it "whack and F@#K!". Because for every one of my shots, you'd hear, *whack*...................F@#K!

A bit off topic, but, you ever notice golf spelled backwards is flog? Just sayin' ;)

Off habit I now refer to it as ball golf, which I have to imagine confuses people that have no clue what Im talking about.

Oddly, enough I often refer to disc golf as just plain ol "golf" which understandably makes people think Im referring to ball golf

My dad has been playing golf for years now, and it's just stuck in my head. No matter how much I try to say it Ball Golf does not roll off the tongue.

Dont forget about playing pool, versus swimming in a pool, versus Pocket Pool!

I laughed really hard at this! I don't know why.

I just call them Disc Golf & Golf. Sometimes i'll say ball golf if someone else happens to play both sports.

Oh and I would quit disc golf if it became frolf its hard enough to get some people to take disc golf serious. Plus I use discs, not frisbees :D

Golf is golf......anytime you try to hit something with an object in as few shots possible, your golfing...

when you talk to people that golf with the same object as you, you can usually just say golf..

when talking about the 2 sports, i always say disc golf for our sport (1. everyone needs to call it by its real name so those unfamilair can be in the know. 2. Frolf is inaccurate due to Whammos ownership and application to a specific model disc,forever ruining of the word frisbee for ULTIMATE players and DGer's. 3. frolf sounds dumb and i think demeans(?) our sport)

and i usually say ball golf to describe the other popular form of the sport, but I like/try/prefer to call it Traditional Golf and then say something like, "you know, golf like what tiger woods plays, with a club and ball"

I think Traditional Golf pays homage to the history and popularity of the mother sport...

I once played "Kick ball golf" with my college fencing team. It's played with those dodge balls from elementary school. I'd have to call the original sport "small ball golf." Come to think of it, we once played "cross-country golf" which would have to be renamed to "cross-country small ball golf." We never finished that game; because someone hit a car after we were only about a mile into the game. I believe it was the most expensive round of any kind of golf I've ever played.

You're missing another option-- I call it "traditional golf" (TG).

Frolf is just plain stupid.

I guess the ball golf/golf thing is like futbol/soccer. It's just hard to get something out of your head. If I went to England or Spain or wherever, I would still call it soccer. Most of the foriegners I deal with at work still call it futbol.

Disc Golf is too new of a sport to make the world change and start calling it Ball Golf or Inferior Golf like I think I want to try. :)

Frolf is just plain stupid.

Nicely put.

picture.php

Latest posts