• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf. What's MISSING???

Here's another one:

You have to register your bag. (I used to play the Star Wars: Trading Card Game and when you entering into a tourney, you were required to give an exact list of what was in your deck. I think the PDGA should do the same thing, I've seen TONS of people swap discs in between tourney rounds, which as everyone knows, is illegal.)

I think you're still thinking of that trading card game.

Back to the topic...

1. Beer carts
2. Hot girls driving them

I am into the standardization of this sport . . . I think it is necessary to legitamize it otherwise it is just a thing to do in the park.

I agree the par thing needs to be straigthened out and should be different with every teebox and teeboxes should be designed for each skill level. Just like in golf there is a par and an effective par this effective par is how you define a handicap because par really means nothing when comparing course to course . . . this handicap is what travels with you from course to course and it changes based on the difficulty of the course.

I am a stats freak and hate that I don't have this kind of thing in disc golf. I want to help to try and get it implemented just don't know where to start. Basically standards need to be implemented for evaluating courses.

I do also think there should be some sort of standard on disc carried. In golf you can only carry 14 clubs including your putter so if you enter a tourney all people should be able to carry the same amount of discs but it is up to them to set up their bag for the course and to match their abilities. Unfortunately this also takes honesty and integrity when playing casual rounds. It doesnt matter if you play with 25 discs in a casual round until their is some sort of handicapping system.

I think this sport needs a company to design, build and maintain courses . . . and being a professional landscaper w/ a horticulture degree including turf management, landscape design and implementation, and nursery management, I volunteer to do that so if you want help contact me! Am I serious kindof, I just don't think it will happen. I would love to have a branch of my business dedicated to the advancement of disc golf courses. Tom you are the creative inventive personality, I am the nuts and bolts and structure, lets get this done!

testing for performance enhancing drugs. I think we may need to get congress involved.

Seriously though, the stupid par debate needs to be ended. Also, better hole measurements so that people actually have an idea the distance they are throwing. Along those same lines, I would KILL for a driving range where I could try out some plastice on a marked feild. The football feilds around here usually locked up.

If anything you need to test for performance degrading drugs!

I agree with the total amount of discs carried in a round (when playing competatively). Practicing allows us to see what works so when there is a tournament, we should be ready to play that round with a select few. However, I don't mind when I see someone carrying 25 discs and tiring themselves out before I get to them. = )

-"par" has no place in the sport and it shouldn't belong in golf, either. Stroke total is all that matters.

-The "14 club limit" rule came about to save the backs of the caddies carrying the clubs for the players. Really no need for it in DG.

-As long as disc golf is predominantly free to play, how will you pay this company to maintain courses? The answer is pay-to-play.

-I'm with you on having "professional" designers tasked with designing and implementing courses. There are too many courses out there put in by people who have no clue, resulting in sub-standard or even unsafe courses.

sorry, off topic, but wtf does QFT mean?

Beer Carts and more Disc Golf Pro Shops! I am so tired of the only places to buy discs in person in the over priced Innova rack at gas stations or the random dealer set up at a course.

Apparently Ben has a lot of things that only he understands! omg lol wtf qft rotflmfao

The sport needs a few things...
More Exposure - local and national media...the story on espn was nice, let's keep it up.
Better marketing from the disc companies - I'm sorry, but the Discraft Ace Races should be big events and discraft should be involved. Also, have the companies ever thought of sending reps to college campuses that have a DG course the first week of school to give out a few free discs and maybe have some lessons/clinics?
A Star - This sport needs an honest to goodness star...someone with mainstream drawing power to do for this sport what a guy like Tony Hawk did for skateboarding....Climo, you're awesome and all, I'm just not sure you're that guy...
A star

Oh I thought it was quite fn true...hahaha.

Here is my take on the pro/rec crap:

Pro courses should be designed professionally and maintained to the utmost standards and therefore would almost exclusively be pay to play.

Rec courses should remain park features and be designed for rec-intermediate players.

This way your gold level courses could be so without anyone crying about difficulty and those that could play that level course can stay the hell off the rec courses crying about how easy they are.

(this does not apply to all recs or all pros but I am sure you have read plenty of whining either way in reviews).

I don't think there needs to be a disc limit but I think more unique tourney ideas could certainly spice things up. We tend to abandon all those formely cutting edge now red level courses that disc technology has surpassed. Either superclass that ass or do a 1 disc challenge. We are the people that abandon these courses and then cry about their disrepair when we visit a place and play one.

Oh and on that note...anything under 2 stars needs redesigning or to be pulled. If these 0 star courses were your first exposure you would quit.

Last edited:
Better understanding of the rules.

(For you earlier posters---there's no rule against changing out discs, even in the middle of the round, even in the middle of a hole if you're fast enough. Go to you car to get another, borrow one from a buddy, etc. And it doesn't have to have your name in it---just be uniquely marked).

Less use of phrases like "as everyone knows" when quoting non-existent rules.

Tighter enforcement of the rules. A culture where you can call a footfault, and no one is offended.

And on a more upbeat note---

High school and collegiate teams and competitions. Would provide us publicity and respectability, and cost athletic departments very little.

High school and collegiate teams and competitions. Would provide us publicity and respectability, and cost athletic departments very little.

This would be cool. Hell, most high schools in this area have a bowling team, why not DG? Not to mention the local high school gym classes go to the course one a week during the fall and spring quartes.

-"par" has no place in the sport and it shouldn't belong in golf, either. Stroke total is all that matters.

I have to disagree. The par is useful in that it guages how well you are doing in relation to how you should be doing. For example - if you finish par, you can tell that you are an average player on that course. par also tells the difficulty of the hole/course. If you finish 7 under par, you know you had a good round (i wish I could go 7 under). If you say "I had 57 strokes", that could be great on one course and horrible on another, so the par is a consistent way to tell how well you do from course to course (but only if every course had adequate pars, which they dont, so it really doesnt matter).

I realize this next thing I am about to say won't please some of you, but I think beer carts on the course is about the worst idea for the sport. If people see a bunch of rowdy guys drinking beer (not saying that everyone is loud and drunk on the course, but some are), that makes the sport look bad. Rounds can be enjoyed without beer. I also hate beer cans littered all over courses. Beer carts will show that the sport promotes drinking. I'm sure you were kidding about the beer carts, but still, beer has no place on the course