• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf. What's MISSING???

more not for profit tourneys , all volunteer, cheap trophies or tags , bring your own freaking lunch , no disc or money in anyones pocket.

Better understanding of the rules.

(For you earlier posters---there's no rule against changing out discs, even in the middle of the round, even in the middle of a hole if you're fast enough. Go to you car to get another, borrow one from a buddy, etc. And it doesn't have to have your name in it---just be uniquely marked).

Less use of phrases like "as everyone knows" when quoting non-existent rules.

Tighter enforcement of the rules. A culture where you can call a footfault, and no one is offended.

And on a more upbeat note---

High school and collegiate teams and competitions. Would provide us publicity and respectability, and cost athletic departments very little.

:( Now you guys are just picking on me.

I am into the standardization of this sport . . . I think it is necessary to legitamize it otherwise it is just a thing to do in the park.

I agree the par thing needs to be straigthened out and should be different with every teebox and teeboxes should be designed for each skill level. Just like in golf there is a par and an effective par this effective par is how you define a handicap because par really means nothing when comparing course to course . . . this handicap is what travels with you from course to course and it changes based on the difficulty of the course.
QUOTE]

I was always under the impression if you weren't advanced or a pro you shouldn't be getting par. So why change par based on your handicap? Like I said if your an amateur you probably are not getting par. So do people want to change it to feel better?
I am not going to go to my "current" home course and shot a +4, but since I have a handicap I really shot like a -8 or something? I don't think that challenges you so much. The pros dont do it so why should the amateurs?

Oh oh and stupid hats!!

Do you get a free bowl of soup with this hat ?

ted_knight.jpg

I have always played everything as a 3 so par is just a number that really has no bearing on game play, it's just easier to remember +2,-1, ect, rather than you score. That being said, out of all the ideas that I have read in this thread, hands down the best way to promote/advance the sport is to get high school and college level clubs organized. It has to be a bottom up approach. The more people playing the more the sport will be force to grow. With that growth better course (pay to play),more stream line rules, and yes possibly beer carts driven by hotties in bikinis will be in the future of the sport. The 'top down' idea of a star is fun, but impractical. A star is only going to be meaningful to people already involved in the sport.

What the sport really needs is a more organized way of teaching people the fundamentals of throwing. Like tennis, golf, Jai alai, or baseball there are things that need to be taught before you will realize any big advancement in your game. Many of the older players here, like me, did it over a long period of time from watching and talking to other people. Most people aren't as patient.

Looking at some of the replies, I guess it depends on what you think is wrong with it on what you think is missing.

This goes back to the debate of making it main stream and tee-tiems and all of that. A lot of this stuff has a cost and really, I am happy with the way it is now. Maybe could use a little more attention for pro circuits but I like the casual game as is.

College competitions would be amazing. As a college kid, I have to say that if colleges made teams that compete against each other I would probably make a mess in my pants (the good kind of mess ;))

I think it would be awesome to have the colleges pick it up. I can just see the cheering sections and rowdy teams pumping each other up. I went to Michigan State University and I think it would set a foundation for the sport. Heck, if they have a bowling team in high school (I actually was on it lol), then there has to be the resources to play some disc.

I think one thing that is missing in this sport is serial ax killers who go after people who are too obsessed about things like standardization. We have standardization rules for our equipment already and that's enough. This isn't ball golf. Different game, different culture.

I have to disagree. The par is useful in that it guages how well you are doing in relation to how you should be doing. For example - if you finish par, you can tell that you are an average player on that course. par also tells the difficulty of the hole/course.
Par is supposed to be a standard of excellence, not of averageness. How many ball golfers do you know who ever shoot par in their life?

Besides that, unlike our big brother sport a hole can be far more dynamically changed when we move a pin from its short position to its long position, and vice versa, therefore some firm catch all establishment of par is pointless.

Okay, siderant on par, over.

I do agree something that I see missing in some extent is a means to introduce people to disc golf in a more family friendly manner. Most kids that I see playing today play it because their disc golfing parents introduced them to it. Same goes with the few kids I see playing in the juniors divisions at tournaments. Doing something through the schools would help this considerably, but the problem is that a lot of schools don't have access to a course.

College competitions would be amazing. As a college kid, I have to say that if colleges made teams that compete against each other I would probably make a mess in my pants (the good kind of mess ;))

I think it would be awesome to have the colleges pick it up. I can just see the cheering sections and rowdy teams pumping each other up. I went to Michigan State University and I think it would set a foundation for the sport. Heck, if they have a bowling team in high school (I actually was on it lol), then there has to be the resources to play some disc.

There are college championships every year, but they are only club teams. The website isn't up for next year's tournament, but the last one from Aprilish is still up.

http://ncdgu.com/

It's not that amazing, but a few of my friends and I are hoping to go this year.

I don't like the idea of school teams due to the fact that it would create another elite group that thinks their sh!t doesn't stink. Can you imagie trying to find a course on a weekend that didn't have a competition going on. I'd imagine they'd have clout to reserve the course. I live in a disc golf state and many of the vandalism problems we face are due to high school and college kids. I know someone is about to say how the programs will teach values but football is claimed to teach values and in my expierence it doesn't work.
Also, I play all threes, put par in golf is for spectators so they know where players stand when starting on different holes.

Since I started the drift about collegiate & high school golf, I think I'll drift further for a moment.

I'm aware that there's a collegiate championship event, run by Pete May in Augusta. It's one of many examples of volunteers putting their effort where their mouth is, and trying to build up disc golf. I applaud it.

It's limitation is that it's a once-a-year event, for which teams are put together for that one event. With a fixed location, it draws most heavily from schools in the southeast.

I've been around for 14 years and am very pleased with the growth I've seen, in courses and players and tournaments, and I expect to see continued growth. I think scholastic sports is one untapped direction it might go.

We once dabbled with forming a match-play league between nearby cities, where clubs would face each other in home-and-away, two-team matches something like the Ryder Cup. It was fun, but fell apart largely because it was left in my hands.

I think the scholastic route would be for someone---someone other than me----to create head-to-head events between schools that are relatively close together. Were it start in a relatively small area, perhaps it would branch out. A match between two schools that already have a sports rivalry (pick your favorite) might generate some attention from the media or school supporters.

Perhaps someones already doing this, and I just don't know about it.

Anyway, in the general subject of what's missing from disc golf, I think scholastic competitions is certainly something other sports, both major and minor, have and build on.

I don't like the idea of school teams due to the fact that it would create another elite group that thinks their sh!t doesn't stink. Can you imagie trying to find a course on a weekend that didn't have a competition going on. I'd imagine they'd have clout to reserve the course. I live in a disc golf state and many of the vandalism problems we face are due to high school and college kids. I know someone is about to say how the programs will teach values but football is claimed to teach values and in my expierence it doesn't work.
Also, I play all threes, put par in golf is for spectators so they know where players stand when starting on different holes.

Were school competitions to occur, they might best be on weekday afternoons, with a single round. Not so much for your concerns, but the fact that many of the players would also be regular tournament players, and scheduling school play around tournament schedules would be impossible.

Also, consider that if schools had teams, it might lead to more courses....

I dont see why a disc cap need be implimented? Your individual performance is not affected by how many bags Joe Blow is lugging around. You should be able to play with what you want. The 14 club cap in ball golf has nothing to do with disc golf; that is a silly comparison.

As for par. Whether it exists or not really doesn't matter.

Total score is really what counts, I play every course everywhere regardless of postings or difficulty as a par three. It makes it easy to keep score and I can add up my total at the end of a round.

I hate the comparison to ball golf. Similar concept yes, but completely different game.

Better understanding of the rules.

(For you earlier posters---there's no rule against changing out discs, even in the middle of the round, even in the middle of a hole if you're fast enough. Go to you car to get another, borrow one from a buddy, etc. And it doesn't have to have your name in it---just be uniquely marked).

Less use of phrases like "as everyone knows" when quoting non-existent rules.

Tighter enforcement of the rules. A culture where you can call a footfault, and no one is offended.

Ditto to David. Well said.