• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

I would love to argue with Jamie on some of his facts... but I can't. Most of what he says is correct. The only thing I will say is that I don't believe that it is a "fools bet". I am pretty foolish, but we at SmashBoxx hope to be in the black by next year. Granted, we have been pretty fortunate with a few decisions we have made, and being the only live disc golf broadcasting still out there helps out a lot.

People WILL watch after the fact if 2 things are in play. First, no condensed coverage. Second. Exciting round. But, we don't ever want to hold anyone "ransom" with no condensed coverage. But, we also rarely plan on doing condensed coverage from our footage because of the extra time and logistics it takes.

But I agree with Corin in that live has an advantage of built in sponsorship time as opposed to cut footage that people can fast forward through. We have an advantage of having the option to get multiple advertisers (depending on the event). The standard has already been set for cut coverage of quick videos with no commercials.

But, the cost of broadcasting is coming down year after year as the cost of data is lowering. We can only hope it continues to decline.

What about Terra Firma/DGPTV? They just did live with the DGWT for LaMirada...they cash their checks and call it quits?

What about Terra Firma/DGPTV? They just did live with the DGWT for LaMirada...they cash their checks and call it quits?

My understanding is that they are stepping back from the DG broadcasting to pursue other avenues. They specifically declined to put in a bid for Worlds and stated as such.

I think TBS is about to start airing a 10-week series on competitive video gaming... and my first thought was, "Hey, if they can be on TV, so can we"... like as I was starting to type this message...

... and then it hit me hard...

Our sport is the same age!!! Pong came out in 1972. So it would appear that competitive video gaming is ahead of Disc Golf as a viable sport for advertisers. I may have to rethink my optimistic position...

as a player, I just wanted to comment on one way DGWT crushes the NT circuit = uniform teeing surfaces. I just watched the video from the KCWO final round and competitors tee'd off from at least 3 different surfaces during THE SAME ROUND! The DiscGolfPark turf teepad should be the standard for non-permanent courses imo. It is 100x better than whatever awful rubber pad is often used

I think TBS is about to start airing a 10-week series on competitive video gaming... and my first thought was, "Hey, if they can be on TV, so can we"... like as I was starting to type this message...

Our sport is the same age!!! Pong came out in 1972. So it would appear that competitive video gaming is ahead of Disc Golf as a viable sport for advertisers. I may have to rethink my optimistic position...

It is also far less expensive to "cover" video gaming (no need for remote cameras traversing acres of land) and they have a far larger potential spectator base AND sponsor base.

Forget how many people play, just consider the businesses associated with the "sport". The biggest video game producers/manufacturers are billion dollar corporations employing thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. I don't think the same can be said of our biggest manufacturers. Even if we cheat and count sponsored players as employees (call them regional sales reps), does any manufacturer boast more than 100 employees? 200?

I don't think we need to be discouraged by the growth of something far more accessible than our game. We don't have to reach that level to consider anything we do a success.

They already did that in the 80's.

Starcade

starcade.png

If only there was a little more to it than just in the circle. I can make 0 from circles edge, land them all within a few feet and have 100% in the circle.

If only there was a little more to it than just in the circle. I can make 0 from circles edge, land them all within a few feet and have 100% in the circle.

Depends. Did you land inside the circle in regulation or not? I'm assuming the DGWT data engineers only count putts inside the circle that reached the circle in regulation.

Disappointed there isn't play-by-play video for the final round. It specifically states on the DGWT website that there would be. Jussi decide to nex it? I really enjoyed the play-by-play video for the second round, as people said Avery was having to rush to keep up with the fast clips but I think he found his rhythm near the end. Also, the Franz Ferdinand course was very scenic which really boosted the videos

there was talk about this @ LaMirada and I wouldn't be surprised if they improve on this in the future. As it is now, typically shorter throwers will have a very high ICP % because they aren't hitting the green off the tee and so layup for their par often. I know the highest @ the first dgwt was mike williams and I'm sure he would admit he wasn't the best putter there lol

All these are great metrics but you need to keep in mind the players have to write it all down. At LaMi they did anyway. Having a list 10 things long for each player is gonna be pretty annoying/slow.

Totally true. For PGA TOUR events, a dedicated spotter walks with each group, and has a handheld laser device that they use to accurately identify where every single shot begins and ends. Their tech system then overlays that on accurate maps of each hole, including the exact pin location on the green.

If you've never checked it out, the PGA's official leaderboard page during a tournament is pretty sweet, and it's fun to daydream on some day disc golf having similar stuff. Real time shot by shot distances, highlight videos for many shots are uploaded and tagged to shots within 15-20 minutes, etc.

Totally true. For PGA TOUR events, a dedicated spotter walks with each group, and has a handheld laser device that they use to accurately identify where every single shot begins and ends. Their tech system then overlays that on accurate maps of each hole, including the exact pin location on the green.

If you've never checked it out, the PGA's official leaderboard page during a tournament is pretty sweet, and it's fun to daydream on some day disc golf having similar stuff. Real time shot by shot distances, highlight videos for many shots are uploaded and tagged to shots within 15-20 minutes, etc.

Couldn't agree more. I think the PGA has easily the best multi-media sports event production going. And their real-time collection, processing and presentation of data is nonpareil in the major sports landscape.