• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Jock Armory/Hyzer Bomb Squib. They work!

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
...sorta. They take some tinkering. I've posted a bunch of various stages in other threads of my modifications to the bag. So I figured I would condense it all into one thread for anyone who might be curious.

First, the bag itself is right around $25.00. Although it is just a re-branded bag available online for slightly less. So, that should also spark up a light above your head that this bag is not actually designed for disc golf. Which is true. But, with a little work it can be a pretty serviceable bag for 10-12 disc players looking for a casual round bag/spare trunk bag/just a cheap bag.

The most important thing to do intitally is examine what this bag offers on its own merits. Then you can come up with the best way to utilize modifications. It's light, which is good. But it's not made of great material, which is bad. It has a lot of pockets, which is good. But these pockets aren't designed with DG in mind.

The "main" part of the bag is separated into two compartments. The back compartment is the bigger of the two, but is only accessed through a zipper that goes about 3/4 up the bag. I'm sure that's sleek and neat when you're carrying books or clothes, but it doesn't do much for trying to get discs in and out. (unless you're just throwing discs into the bag, which is fine, but then you wouldn't be interested in what I'm doing) The front compartment zipper is much better, going from the very bottom, up, and even across the bag to the other side. "Yes," I thought. This I can work with. But, alas, the compartment itself was barely big enough for 4 or so discs withough bulging uncomfortably.

So the solution for me was to cut out the wall between the two compartments. It was just a thin section of fabric anyways. (first picture) With a wide open single compartment, I had a little more to work with options-wise. Unfortunately, the bag's bottom area was still too shallow for discs to be stored side-to-side. So front-to-back it was.

I decided to build a pvc frame so I could hopefully get the bag to stand up on the ground. This was some trial-and-error. At first I build a full-pvc frame with bars in the front and back for support, and bars on the bottom spaced out to cradle the discs. It did work, and was solid. But was too bulky for the small bag and only let me fit 6 discs. So I took out the front and back supports, and swapped them with cardboard waterproofed with black duct tape. I also cut out the bottom of an old Lightning Discs bag I had and secured it to the bottom of the frame to create a slightly U-shaped cradle so the discs didn't awkwardly sit in the pvc frame. (picture two)

The end result of that frame is a comfortable ten discs (picture three).

Attachments

• WP_000655.jpg
    WP_000655.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 275
  • WP_000658.jpg
    WP_000658.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 277
  • WP_000603.jpg
    WP_000603.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 288
Now that the main compartment was set (picture one, with temporary cardboard just to make sure it would work), I moved to the "putter pocket." The pocket itself is wide enough for an average putter, but not deep enough. The pocket wouldn't zip shut with an Anode. I just cut out the bottom of the pocket part to let the putter slide down the little bit it needed. Two putters fit in fine, any more and it wouldn't close. The various little pockets inside are OK for whatever you want…keys/pocket change/etc. (picture two)

The side pocket is just open, It fits my bug spray and hand powder well. (picture three)

Attachments

• WP_000638.jpg
    WP_000638.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 157
  • WP_000640.jpg
    WP_000640.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 141
  • WP_000641.jpg
    WP_000641.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 130
The "drink holder" is nothing but a mesh pocket. It doesn't even have a bottom to speak of, it's just sewn into the bag. It does, however, fit my ipod speakers rather well. There are also little loops at the ends of every zipper, offering nice little places for birdie beads/towels/etc. (picture one)

I also had cut off the mini pocket from that Lightning Discs bag and sewed it on to the front of the bag. There are a few places to keep a mini (the top pocket was where I kept it originally) but I like this better. I also removed a pencil/scorecard pocket and sewed it to the side pocket. Finally, I attached an insulated Nalgene cozy to the side of the sling strap I'm not using. (pictures two and three, respectively)

Overall, the bag is now solid, stands up, gives me easy access to 10 discs in the main compartment and 2 putters in the front. Has pockets and access to most things I would need in a round. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Voodoo or a Grip, but for the price…who cares? Overall, the bag cost me about $35.00 (I spent a little more than that, but I didn't calculate some trial-and-error aspects that aren't in the final product).

I'm pretty happy with the end result. I'm kind of addicted to tinkering with this bag, so we'll see if I think up any other Frankenstein-ish things to do to it in the future.

Attachments

• WP_000665.jpg
    WP_000665.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 127
  • WP_000664.jpg
    WP_000664.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 185
  • WP_000642.jpg
    WP_000642.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 123
Very cool work. I'm looking into doing a little work on a bag myself soon, just deciding which bag to get. Love the 8-Bit ideas too, I keep eying them with intent to buy. I posted a picture on the facebook page that'd make a sweet shirt.

Just because I can't seem to stop tinkering with this bag, I found these online:

http://www.protecmusic.com/items.as...rumentGroupID=4&CategoryID=3&subCategoryID=24

I'm going to be picking up a set in the near future and see if I can't make an easy clip-on backpack conversion from the sling style. Extra loops? Sternum strap? Sign me up. Could open a lot of opportunities for DIY bags out there...

And they're built to carry guitar cases and sax cases that weigh more than our bags do, so I'm guessing they're pretty sturdy and comfortable.

Alrighty, boredom set in. One of the problems I've had with the bag is the top sags down. From the top of the frame I made to the base, the bag is solid. From the top of the discs and up, it's a limp sack. It got really bad when I switched to a metal DD mini from my normal Discraft mini. I removed the mini pocket from the top front, and now use the mesh pocket on the side for my mini. It works better anyways.

So what I did was raise the frame up a bit. Gave it some height so the top of the frame sits right between the shoulderblades now. It did wonders for the stability of the bag. Now I can load up the smaller top pocket with my phone, wallet, keys, etc. and the bag doesn't collapse down onto my discs. (picture 1)

Now, the new problem THAT caused was, the bar across the top of the frame is NOT comfortable. There is padding on the back of the bag but it's pretty flimsy. With the bag square on your back, the bar goes shoulderblade to shoulderblade and rubs against it pretty rough.

Luckily, I was looking to fix up the frame anyways. The front and back panels (as stated in earlier posts) are just cardboard wrapped in duct tape. I needed a more permanent solution. Seemed like the perfect time to come up with something better.

For $1.50 at Wal-Mart, you can buy a "Garage Sale" sign in fairly thick corrugated plastic. I cut that down to size for a front panel and a back panel that now covers the whole frame. (picture 2)

Next, I picked up a $3.00 roll of 1/8" thick padding made for wrapping pipes. I cut out strips to cover the back panel. I glued it on with E6000, but regular Super Glue would work just as well. (picture 3)

Attachments

• WP_000955.jpg
    WP_000955.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 36
  • WP_000953.jpg
    WP_000953.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 25
  • WP_000954.jpg
    WP_000954.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 27
I spray painted everything black for uniform purposes. Once I put it all back together it fit back in just fine and now the full panel with the extra padding is perfectly comfortable.

What I like about this is that I've basically created a one-step removable frame for this bag. The bag itself is not the best quality. I'll be the first to admit that. But the frame is solid. And the frame is 90% of what makes this bag work. So if the bag starts to fray/fall apart/get ruined, all I have to do is spend the $15 on Amazon for another one and drop the frame into it with minimal work.

I talked a family member into buying those straps I posted above for me as an early Christmas gift. They should be here Mon/Tues. If they snap on as easily as I hope they do, I've got a wonderfully serviceable 12-disc backpack that I can replace the core even every year with just a small cost.

Attachments

• WP_000956.jpg
    WP_000956.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_000957.jpg
    WP_000957.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
So, total cost at this point (not counting trial and error):

Bag: $15
PVC: $6
Padding: $3
Misc. Supplies: $10

So roughly $35 is what I could make this bag for. Add $15 for the backpack straps if they work out. I also found this online:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ful/brick-house-sling/86456?productid=1358317&rlid=DETAIL

It appears to be the same bag, with some design changes, possibly better zippers, and an added small pocket in the front (mini pocket?). For only a marginal difference, I may pick this one up when I need to swap out just to see if it will be a more durable and workable option.

I got the straps in the mail today, and did some tinkering. It's far from final, but I like them. They're pretty solid straps. Right around Phenix quads in quality. They come with an extra loop and a sternum strap. I hooked the cell phone holder from the stock sling strap to it. I'll need to find a way to get the bag a bit higher up, but it's such a light bag it doesn't really bother me too much. That might change after a full day though.

P.S. In other notes, I discovered that the more expensive bag I found in the above post is the original bag model. The cheap Amazon version that DJ and HB used are just knock off models of the FuL version. So, take that for what it's worth. At some point I'm sure I'll pull the trigger and get the quality version to see how it stacks up.

Attachments

• WP_000962.jpg
    WP_000962.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 25
  • WP_000963.jpg
    WP_000963.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 29
  • WP_000964.jpg
    WP_000964.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 37
Interesting idea, might make one for my mom as her Xmas gift since she is looking for a smaller backpack style bag.

Or might keep it myself for glow rounds lol

Interesting idea, might make one for my mom as her Xmas gift since she is looking for a smaller backpack style bag.

Or might keep it myself for glow rounds lol

Well, I'm cashing in Christmas early (honestly, we're all old enough that "Christmas Morning" has lost some of it's luster, so my family somewhat prefers us just saying, "Buy me this and you don't have to worry about Christmas.")

I've got one of the FuL Brickhouse bags coming to me. So let's see if that's a much higher quality option. You can even get them this week on ebags.com for $23.99 shipped for the holidays.

I think I also might've worked out a solution to get the bag riding higher, but I'll wait and see if it works before I post anything.