• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc limit?

Should there be a disc limit?

• Yes, 14 is plenty and would make things interesting

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • No way! I just bought a Fade Tourney bag

Votes: 99 55.0%
  • A limit, but not 14 - it's lame to copy ball golf

Votes: 38 21.1%

• Total voters
In ball golf, you dont loose your clubs, so you dont need more than that. In a tourney in disc golf, you could loose a few discs in a round, so sometimes you need more.

In ball golf, you dont loose your clubs, so you dont need more than that. In a tourney in disc golf, you could loose a few discs in a round, so sometimes you need more.
You might break one every few years or so. And you might toss one into a water hazard if you get too angry ;)

But yeah, I totally agree with being allowed to have a few spares since they do get lost fairly easily. I wonder if a tiny tracking beacon could be taped to the underside of the flightplate to minimize loss...

I think I miss spoke earlier about their being a limit to the # of balls a golfer can carry.

I have two friends that are PGA tour members and if my memory is correct there either is a limit or was a limit at one time. After reading a PM someone sent me, I called one of them and learned that their understanding of the rule is that once you run out of balls in your bag, you are not allowed to get more. Though the one I talked to is no longer playing tour golf.

I spoke or posted with out doing any real research. I have learned my lesson.

I think I miss spoke earlier about their being a limit to the # of balls a golfer can carry.

I have two friends that are PGA tour members and if my memory is correct there either is a limit or was a limit at one time. After reading a PM someone sent me, I called one of them and learned that their understanding of the rule is that once you run out of balls in your bag, you are not allowed to get more. Though the one I talked to is no longer playing tour golf.

I spoke or posted with out doing any real research. I have learned my lesson.

I think you're still wrong. There is no limit on how many balls they can carry or use during a round. Several years ago, Tiger almost ran out of balls. In an interview he said he thought he'd be DQ'ed or something, and that he later found out he could have gotten more balls from another source.

I don't know... to me it just seems like a disc limit rule would make our sport look more "professional" and legitimate and less like a bunch of hippies screwing around in the park :).
So is "looking more professional" the reason skaetboarding, inline skating, snowboarding or BMX biking never took off. Er...wait... ;)

I'd argue that trying too hard to look "professional" and be more like ball golf would be a step in the wrong direction for disc golf (I'd also argue that the number of discs carried has nothing to do with how "professional" the sport looks, but that's not important). One of the major appeals of disc golf is that the culture is different from that of ball golf. One of the issues with professional disc golf now is trying to find that line between having good, challenging courses and that laid back, "X-Games" type atmosphere. Really, it makes more sense to model the sport off of an "extreme" sport than it does after a sport with the stereotype of old white guys wearing funny pants.

Really the only difference between a bunch of people screwing off and a sport is rules. And you're absolutely right about there being no true logical argument for a set limit. However, what is the logical argument for most rules in sports? There usually isn't one. Some governing body or inventor of the sport just decides what is good and what isn't. Don't you think it is slightly ridiculous that there is no regulation size for a soccer pitch? It just has to be between 90 and 120 meters (or something like that) to be legal for tournament play. But soccer (or futbol, or whatever) is the most popular sport in the world, excluding the USA as a major potential market. Maybe its an American thing... maybe we tend to like our sports reigned in in terms of rules so they are as fair for everyone as possible. I'm just rambling now... but I think my point has been made.
We already have rules analogous to the rules you're mentioning. Disc and basket specifications are already regulated, the 10M circle is like that as is the 2M rule. There are logical arguments for the existence of those rules, it's just that the limits are more arbitrary. There is a logical argument for having restrictions on the size and shape of a field. A 1'x1' soccer field would be unplayable as would a 1 mile x 1 mile field. There is a logical argument for a set height for basketball hoops. A 50' high hoop or a 1' high hoop would be dumb. Those are the types of analogies that do not make sense to make with regards to whether or not there should be a rule limiting the number of discs a player can carry. However, you could make an argument for minimum and maximum hole lengths and use those examples as analogies and that would be logical.

There is not logical reason for limiting the number of discs. Any ridiculous number of discs that a player would carry would only make it harder for that player. Anything about it that would make it harder for other players is already covered by other rules. It's just not necessary.

IMO a bag or cart look more "professional" then a sixpack with three discs- though I often use the sixpack.

I'm sure it's been said already but....
Some ppl carry a bunch of discs as backups in case they lose one that they need for their game
Also, ppl carry specialty discs and / or throwaway discs for certain shots that they feel need a certain disc in particular or if throwing over water and it dives in <--hence throwaway

I've stuck to lucky 13 in my bag always... That's the max I could put in my bag after I removed the divider thing...

i voted to allow as many as you want but I haven't bought a Fade bag

So is "looking more professional" the reason skaetboarding, inline skating, snowboarding or BMX biking never took off. Er...wait... ;)

I'd argue that trying too hard to look "professional" and be more like ball golf would be a step in the wrong direction for disc golf (I'd also argue that the number of discs carried has nothing to do with how "professional" the sport looks, but that's not important). One of the major appeals of disc golf is that the culture is different from that of ball golf. One of the issues with professional disc golf now is trying to find that line between having good, challenging courses and that laid back, "X-Games" type atmosphere. Really, it makes more sense to model the sport off of an "extreme" sport than it does after a sport with the stereotype of old white guys wearing funny pants.
But the sports you mentioned are dangerous "extreme" sports and they are exciting to watch. Disc golf is not extreme. It is about as extreme as ball golf. And I don't think that golf stereotype is still as prevalent as it once was. Most people would like to play golf, its just prohibitively expensive in most areas.

We already have rules analogous to the rules you're mentioning. Disc and basket specifications are already regulated, the 10M circle is like that as is the 2M rule. There are logical arguments for the existence of those rules, it's just that the limits are more arbitrary. There is a logical argument for having restrictions on the size and shape of a field. A 1'x1' soccer field would be unplayable as would a 1 mile x 1 mile field. There is a logical argument for a set height for basketball hoops. A 50' high hoop or a 1' high hoop would be dumb. Those are the types of analogies that do not make sense to make with regards to whether or not there should be a rule limiting the number of discs a player can carry. However, you could make an argument for minimum and maximum hole lengths and use those examples as analogies and that would be logical.
Those comparisons are absurd. Why not a 140' or 150' soccer field? Why does it even vary at all? The home team obviously has a small advantage if their field is different in size than the away team's home field. In basketball, why can't the hoop be at 12'? Or 8'? These are all playable options, but the current norms are arbitrarily set.

I experienced this directly in ice hockey... some teams practice and play on olympic size sheets and some rinks have less room behind the net. The doors to the benches are different. This all factors in. Rules and standardization make games more fair.

I honestly don't care much about having a disc limit or not, I just think it would make things a bit more interesting.

Those comparisons are absurd. Why not a 140' or 150' soccer field? Why does it even vary at all? The home team obviously has a small advantage if their field is different in size than the away team's home field. In basketball, why can't the hoop be at 12'? Or 8'? These are all playable options, but the current norms are arbitrarily set.

I experienced this directly in ice hockey... some teams practice and play on olympic size sheets and some rinks have less room behind the net. The doors to the benches are different. This all factors in. Rules and standardization make games more fair.

I honestly don't care much about having a disc limit or not, I just think it would make things a bit more interesting.
Of course they're absurd. That's the point.

In all of the examples you're giving there is a logical reason to choose an arbitrary size, number or range. In the case of the number of discs carried, there is no logical reason to even choose a number. Because of that the example of the size of a soccer field is not analogous to the number of discs a player can carry.

There is no "fairness" difference gained by limiting discs. All players already have the same access to all molds and can all choose however many discs they carry. It can't get any more fair than that.

No one here is trying to change the rules. It is only only a poll folks, so please don't get mad at me for starting this thread. :p

Obviously any number chosen would be arbitrary, so I'll admit I have no logical reason to choose 14 besides the 75 year old golf rule. Lets say it was 25 so you could toss 11 into water or off cliffs (your score would suffer), the point is to have some limit. It would force players to choose their discs more carefully before stepping onto the first tee.

From a spectator perspective (I'm no pro, but I would like to see disc golf grow into a spectator sport someday - HD Disc Golf on CBS would be awesome!), I think it would definitely add interest to the game. Spectators might pay more attention to the bag setup of the pros.

It might also speed up play and thus result in less 30-second penalties. Sorry if you need your opponents to get these for you to win. Just play better.

Let the controversy continue!

From a spectator perspective (I'm no pro, but I would like to see disc golf grow into a spectator sport someday - HD Disc Golf on CBS would be awesome!), I think it would definitely add interest to the game. Spectators might pay more attention to the bag setup of the pros.
Yes. I think people that have been playing for a long time have this "if it ain't broke" mentality that newer players don't have. Disc golf is already a very simple game and I think a disc limit would make it even more interesting. But I am also a minimalist by nature, so I may be biased. Elegance in simplicity.

Another issue that is a personal shortcoming is that I normally play with about 8 discs and often play "bagless" 4-disc rounds. My full bag consists of 1 distance driver, 4 fairway drivers, 2 mids, and 1 putter. The leaguers with their stuffed full bag of 30 discs look down their nose at me like I am some newbie that doesn't know any better or just started last week. Then they proceed to use... oh... about 8-10 discs throughout their round. 20 discs that never got used sitting in the bag. Meanwhile I use all or all but one of mine. My minimal disc-in-hand rounds consist of 2 fairway drivers, a mid, and a putter. Its a bit tougher but I don't score too much higher than usual.

So I personally would like a limit, and others are with me on this, just not the majority. That's about it.

yup, I am with a few here who think limiting us to a certain number of discs would be like limiting a ball golfer to a certain number of balls.

EDIT (seems there may be a limit to balls so not a perfect analogy)
But they have 1 style ball that does the same things.

Last edited:
But they have 1 style ball that does the same things.

Not true , the PGA has outlawed many styles of balls, and club designs, because they feel they give an unfair advantage. The PDGA has also outlawed certain designs for various reasons. You may use whatever equipment you like during casual play, but you will be DQd if caught during tournament play.
A 14 club 6 ball limit has never hurt ball and stick equipment sales and i don't believe it would hurt disc sales. We all want the latest and greatest highspeed drivers, or the best plastics, and that's never going to change.
IMO forcing yourself to shape the shot, is more of a challenge than just picking the right disc. If you lose 14 disc on an 18 hole course you might want to try a new hobby.

There is NO 6 BALL LIMIT, OR ANY LIMIT ON NUMBER OF BALLS ON THE PGA TOUR!

Thank you for screaming through the internet. I had to dim my screen.

True, corrected from my earlier post. I later double checked. My bad, I was going from memory where I thought there was a limit.

THis post has really gotten controversial. It was a poll and a point of discussion....let's not start a civil war.

It appears that there are no limits nor should there be any limits on how many discs, water bottles, beer, grass, bags, carts, children, power tools and livestock you have accompanying you through your 18 hole (or however many holes it is, because there is no limit on that, either) journey.

I say as many as you can carry. No carts, no caddies. If you are man, or woman I guess, enough to lug 31 discs around on your own then you should be able to throw them. If you can't carry it then tough sh*t.

I could support this. Or alternately, if you want to use a caddie, limit the weight of the bag you are allowed to have him carry. And other than the clothes you're wearing, you only get to use what is in your bag.

Last edited:
Uh, the rules are fine as is. I say if you wanna carry a crapload of discs carry them yourself like the rest of us. I don't see why disc golf would try to imitate club limits when the point is to NOT be as stcuk up as ball golf. Keep it unique, throw however many discs you want.

Latest posts