• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Recommendation for training a flat release

I think a purely neutral disc in base plastic is what you really want

flat dx roc or a buzzz....or a mako.....any beadless putter

Don't over think it, no0b. :| ;) :p

+1 x 1 Trillion. Just go throw and spend time with discs on the course. I'd say heavy Fuse if you like shallow easy to grip discs and Comet if you like bigger rims and beads. My fuse tells me when I suck, but the Comet works for many. IMO New013's guidelines were good.

The flight charts and numbers are arbitrary, never take them as gospel. The reason why the Comet is so popular is b/c it really responds to release angle and the slightest bit of wrist roll will be evident. It's just a great line-shaping mid, required you have clean form. Sweeping hyzers, flat, floating lasers, and anhyzers are all capable as long as your form allows it.

The thing New said about nobody can throw a X Comet perfectly straight 300'+ from a flat release has more to do with the fact that nobody can throw perfectly flat. If you want to learn how to throw perfectly flat you'll need some sort of plane corrective cybernetic arm. Because most people tend to roll their wrists over when the throw hard, in my opinion it's better to learn throwing a slight hyzer as your baseline throw to counteract that tendency and tap into the line shaping joys of the hyzer-flip.

The comet is great for this but I dont think that the aviar P&A is bad at all. In fact its probably really good for working on form. I have not thrown a shark in a while but feel like it would be pretty nuetral itself in DX plastic after a few rounds...

The flight charts and numbers are arbitrary, never take them as gospel. The reason why the Comet is so popular is b/c it really responds to release angle and the slightest bit of wrist roll will be evident. It's just a great line-shaping mid, required you have clean form. Sweeping hyzers, flat, floating lasers, and anhyzers are all capable as long as your form allows it.

The thing New said about nobody can throw a X Comet perfectly straight 300'+ from a flat release has more to do with the fact that nobody can throw perfectly flat. If you want to learn how to throw perfectly flat you'll need some sort of plane corrective cybernetic arm. Because most people tend to roll their wrists over when the throw hard, in my opinion it's better to learn throwing a slight hyzer as your baseline throw to counteract that tendency and tap into the line shaping joys of the hyzer-flip.

i agree, there is almost always some hyzer flip involved. to get flat you have to have your palm closer to up. you loose all your wrist power/snap if you go there. so , the power that would cause it to turn over if released flat is absorbed into the hyzer flip. that being said, figuring out how to throw a comet straight will translate to respectable mechanics.

Go with a Mako

I would recommend a Mako or Mako3. If you look at the flight path of these you will see a line as straight as an arrow. The Innova numbers are 5 5 0 0, I believe for the Mako3. No other discs other than some putters do that (no turn, no fade). If this disc, when thrown straight, "doesn't have a mind of it's own" (meaning no turn, no fade) than it stands to reason that any line you put it on it should stay on and therefore you can tell very simply if your not throwing it straight. Or at least this is what I was hoping when I bought one these about two weeks ago.

The comet is a very good disc for what you are talking about or if you wanted to try a driver the avenger ss will fly straight if released straight.