• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Disc Suggestions

markdh92

I am looking for a disc which, when thrown RHBH and hyzer, will level off and finish straight. I feel that when I thrown hyzer with my RHBH I can get more power. Any suggestions?

You are going to have to supply more information than that.

How a disc flies is largely dependent on the power behind the throw. So what is your average max distance?

I throw a lot of overhand, and I just recently started working on my backhand for my drives. Average max distance is probably 200-250. I've never really looked into discs that closely, I've just bought discs that I felt I could grip comfortably.

200-250 and you want to learn to generate power backhand and be able to manipulate discs to hyzer flip and so on?

I would pick up a Discraft Comet in Elite X plastic OR a Latitude 64 Fuse in Gold Line.

Similar flights, different wing configurations. The Fuse is a bit more modern. Both have a ton of glide and reward smooth form with a lot of line manipulation and control.

You can learn a lot from either of these two molds. If you start out and they seem erratic then that is because of your form. Stick with these discs until you can shape multiple lines reliably and you will greatly rewarded.

One of my buddies throws a 150g R-pro Boss with hyzer that goes pretty straight. It finishes with a little fade. I think it's a pretty inconsistent way to make a disc go straight. If you just started working on your backhand, get a Comet (or something similar) and work on throwing the disc flat to make it go straight. Once you've got that down; Eagle, Teebird, or even a good stable mid will work out a lot better for straight distance. Are you looking to hit some tighter lines in a more wooded course? How long have you been playing? What discs have you tried throwing backhand?

200-250 and you want to learn to generate power backhand and be able to manipulate discs to hyzer flip and so on?

I would pick up a Discraft Comet in Elite X plastic OR a Latitude 64 Fuse in Gold Line.

Similar flights, different wing configurations. The Fuse is a bit more modern. Both have a ton of glide and reward smooth form with a lot of line manipulation and control.

You can learn a lot from either of these two molds. If you start out and they seem erratic then that is because of your form. Stick with these discs until you can shape multiple lines reliably and you will greatly rewarded.

This ^^^^

yeah that^^^^^ great post jkosk!!! just started doing that with my fuses and after 2 field sessions I am already reaping the benefits

Yeah it sounds like you're hyzer flipping (or wanting to), so I'll join the "Throw a Leopard" fan club. The Fuse is good too if you'd rather throw a mid. Mine turns over and rolls if I even think about throwing it, but that's my own problem... Not yours.

I learned to hyper flip with a "beat to death" Cheetah. Later picked up a Lat64 Fuse....amazing disc. The Fuse can do ANYTHING. Now I am having fun getting some serious work in with my Roadrunner.

I learned a lot from my Cheetah.

Fuse ftw. I am maxing out at 250 also and the fuse is the first disc I can hyzer flip. And it will hold an Anny line like a dream. Great disc.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. The only discs that I have really tried to throw backhand are an Innova Shark and a Discraft Cyclone. I just picked up a Buzzz, so I'll see what I can do there, but it sounds like I'm going to have to try and get my hands on a Comet, Fuse, or Leopard and just work on my throw. Thanks again.

Wow, a Shark and a Cyclone? I wonder if I'm the only person who thought they were going to read Boss and Katana (or something like that).

at 250ft you can flip a 160ish cheetah flat and it will be a good learning tool

Latest posts