• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Weights for an 11 Year Old

SSmithJr

Hello all, first post. Long time lurker here... But this time I couldn't find the info I was searching for so...
I registered! :D

I'm looking for suggestions for discs and weights for my 11 1/2 year old son. He and I will be playing together a bunch this summer. He's got a decent arm on him and he did pretty well throwing some of my discs; but I'd really like to get him going in the right direction with discs that would be better suited for him. I'm thinking of going the standard starter route (DX Leopard, Shark, Aviar), but I'm really unsure of weights. I was thinking of going 150g across the board; but would that make the Shark too OS for him? And would that be enough weight to keep the putter in the chains? I really have no idea what to get for him.

I'd really appreciate any advice and/or suggestions you all may have, TIA!

I'd go with a putter in the low to mid 160s, a shark and a leopard/cheetah in 150 class. The putter will do a little better in wind and stick in the chains a little better, and he can just use the shark for approaches if the putter is too heavy for him to throw well at the beginning.

I'm 28 years old and I think a 132 gram gateway sabre totally kicks ass (with no wind).

The "easy to throw" lineup by Lat 64 may also be worthy of consideration.

My 10 year old son started with the 150 weight Innova starter in DX and did well with that. You could also look around to see if you can get some lighter weights in champion or star plastic for a tad bit more durability.

Im and from experience i can tell you that if you get him 145-150g leopard and diamond (latitude 64) as well as a 150g stingray and a 165g putter. Keep with those discs and weights until hecan get them up to 200-250 then buy him some more stable and os discs and teach him to throw the different shots. If he likes thowing forehand i would recomend a neutral to overstable disc. That way if he hyzers it it will hold a line and it will most likely come back when you put some anny on it. Once he gets in to the game and begins to want to play tourneys i would try getting him a comet to start to work on form, because for us little guys form is the main reason for distance.

IMO, a shark is a much better beginner mid than a stingray. Stingrays are faster and get more squirrelly, sharks are more neutral and slower so they're better for shorter distances and better for learning to shape lines.

IMO, a shark is a much better beginner mid than a stingray. Stingrays are faster and get more squirrelly, sharks are more neutral and slower so they're better for shorter distances and better for learning to shape lines.

In my opinion I was assuming that the kid was wtarting to throw nose up hyzers. If he gets a nice understable mid he might be able to straighten them out. The shark did not work for me when i started at 9 years old becaus it got me frustated because it would always go left and i couldnt get it to go straight until i could throw my fairways 150ft. At the moment i really like the shark but i dont think that the kid will be starting throwing 250

The stingray will be even worse. Because it's faster, it's more nose angle sensitive and tends to fade out on low power shots even worse. I have started a bunch of beginners on sharks, and most of them can get a straight flight out of a 150 shark right away.

This is just my opinion from experience back to the op, all the discs in my sig are good for beginners. The teedevil is for sidearms and the krait is for water. These probably wouldnt be good choices yet. You might want to watch some of the junior disc golf videos on youtube and see what they are throwing

Thanks for the replies!

A Stingray would be the 4th disc I'd add into the mix, as well as an Eagle after that. Both were in my first bag and really served me well... Still do in fact! I just want to see how he handles the weight before going and buying a bag full of discs.

So if I'm reading this right, I should go with a 150g DX Leopard, a 150g DX Shark, and a 165g DX Aviar Classic or P&A to start. Correct?

I think that these are worhty choices. Putting is key to scoring well when you dont have a huge arm. How far does he throw?

My two youngest are 7 & 8 and I've taught all my nieces and nephews to play. I think the easiest to throw disc off the tee has been the lightweight cobra. Other discs that have worked well have been all lightweight...polecats, cheetas, Avairs and Buzzes.

Thanks for the replies!

A Stingray would be the 4th disc I'd add into the mix, as well as an Eagle after that. Both were in my first bag and really served me well... Still do in fact! I just want to see how he handles the weight before going and buying a bag full of discs.

So if I'm reading this right, I should go with a 150g DX Leopard, a 150g DX Shark, and a 165g DX Aviar Classic or P&A to start. Correct?

I have a slow arm (200-250' max) and I have those 3 discs in my bag. They work well for me.

My daughter is 7 1/2 and here is her current bag:

167 DX Aviar
172 DX Aviar
174 SS Magic
174 Organic Magic

~150 DX Shark
165 Supercolor ESP Buzzz

2 ~150 DX Leopard

She averages 60' throws right now and occasional 80 or 100' throws. Her throws are very straight, but her release isn't always on target so sometimes she is criss-crossing the fairway. If she slows down a bit tho, she's usually all right. I'm trying to get her to stop and hold teh disc out toward where she wants to throw it first to help visualize the throw.

I would keep the discs all lighter than 150g. It's similar to baseball. Kids use lighter bats, softer balls and smaller fields for a reason. Don't go with heavy discs...more chances of wearing out the arm sooner and they'll have more success with lighter discs sooner.

Both my boys can throw between 150-200' with light weight Cobras. Granted I started them throwing before they could walk and they have been going to the course with me since the days I would pull them in a wagon to get a round in.

I would keep the discs all lighter than 150g. It's similar to baseball. Kids use lighter bats, softer balls and smaller fields for a reason. Don't go with heavy discs...more chances of wearing out the arm sooner and they'll have more success with lighter discs sooner.

Both my boys can throw between 150-200' with light weight Cobras. Granted I started them throwing before they could walk and they have been going to the course with me since the days I would pull them in a wagon to get a round in.

I don't really agree with this. I don't see the benefit in starting kids out with different equipment that they will likely eventually use. I did not start playing ball on different fields, with softer balls or tees to hit off of. I think children's arms can handle full weight discs just fine and will benefit from learning on them. With that said, usually less stable discs work better for the lower power and disc speed. Just my take.