• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DISCatcher Sport or a DB-5

Which basket would to choose?

• DISCatcher Sport

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Lightning DB-5

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Please explain in comments)

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Kenny53691

Noodle Arm
I currently have an Innova SkillShot, and I want something a little better quality. I'm going between the DISCatcher Sport (about $200) and the Lightning DB-5 (about $250). I like the DISCatcher because it's cheaper, lighter, and looks like it would be easier to move around, but the DB-5 is hot dipped so I could just leave it outside and not worry about it rusting or anything. I'm leaning more toward the DB-5, but I am not 100% sure. Would you be able to give me some incite? Thanks

Last edited:
Are you going to move it, or not?
The discatcher sport is easier to move/transport, it handles outdoors decently.
The DB-5 will handle being out in the elements better, but is harder to transport.

Are you going to move it, or not?
The discatcher sport is easier to move/transport, it handles outdoors decently.
The DB-5 will handle being out in the elements better, but is harder to transport.

The only time I really plan on moving it would be either just around the yard or for when my local DG group needs it for a temp course. I always keep the Skillshot in my car just in case I ever need a basket on the go.

I personally like the discatcher sport. I have 2 and a generic copy (Gopher skill shot).
However if you leave it outside for a month you will notice a little rust at the connection points, screws, and very slightly on the poles, after 2 months you will see the rust growing on the poles and even a few spots on the chains. Also any chips in the paint will begin to rust.

Jorelmon, in NY (Coyemans, I think) uses a few DB-5's year round and I do not think they had many issues with rust in the first year.

my one and only dislike of the DB5 is the size of the target area, its huge and wont make you better. The Disc Nation Freedom baskets are also really nice and in the same price range.
Personally i like the disccatcher sport the most. you can treat it before you put it outside and you wont have any rust issues.

You can eliminate the rusting issue on a Discatcher Sport If you throw a "kettle style" grill cover over it.

7452_630x440.jpg

^ yes, those protect the to pretty well and the size fits great.
I bought one on craigslist, someone added a second set of chains to it. at first I loved it, but it sucks to move.

I currently have an Innova SkillShot, and I want something a little better quality. I'm going between the DISCatcher Sport (about $200) and the Lightning DB-5 (about $250). I like the DISCatcher because it's cheaper, lighter, and looks like it would be easier to move around, but the DB-5 is hot dipped so I could just leave it outside and not worry about it rusting or anything. I'm leaning more toward the DB-5, but I am not 100% sure. Would you be able to give me some incite? Thanks

DISCatcher Sport for $175 including shipping
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=179

Db-5 for $225 including shipping
http://www.discgolfstation.com/Lightning-DB-5-Portable-Disc-Golf-Basket_p_99.html

I prefer the DISCatcher(with no additional chains added) because the DB-5 catches EVERYTHING and the finish is a little rough. Also, the Discatcher is cheaper and weighs less. Take the $50 you save and buy some more putters.

I like the DB 5 not that hard to move around and I've had mine outside for 3 years no issues with rush.

Ching Chainmaster

Gotta say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ching Chainmaster. Only portable I know of with 32 chains. It catches everything. I got mine for $199 from GottoGoGottaThrow.

There is a video on YouTube of me putting it together... but I'll not embarrass myself by providing the link. The video is kinda funny if you ask me as I make the job much harder than it should've been.

Gotta say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ching Chainmaster. Only portable I know of with 32 chains. It catches everything. I got mine for $199 from GottoGoGottaThrow.

There is a video on YouTube of me putting it together... but I'll not embarrass myself by providing the link. The video is kinda funny if you ask me as I make the job much harder than it should've been.

I don't see it on GGGT, but it is on discgolfstation for $260 free shipping

It wasn't that bad, you got it out of the box and assembled under 5 minutes. Have you done anything to deaden the sound?

DISCatcher Sport for $175 including shipping
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=179

Db-5 for $225 including shipping
http://www.discgolfstation.com/Lightning-DB-5-Portable-Disc-Golf-Basket_p_99.html

I prefer the DISCatcher(with no additional chains added) because the DB-5 catches EVERYTHING and the finish is a little rough. Also, the Discatcher is cheaper and weighs less. Take the $50 you save and buy some more putters.

Thank you for posting some cheaper prices, but no need to buy more putters. I have a lot more putter than I will ever throw!

Why is it so bad that the DB-5 catches everything?

Last edited:
I own a Discatcher Sport and have no complaints. Ive left it outside since the day I bought it 5 years ago.

i got the disc catcher sport recently and i love it. i would recommend NOT leaving it outside at all for more than a day for when night time comes it will get wet from the dew. It is VERY easy to take apart/put together. its help together by 5 screws (just don't lose em!) the only thing is if you catch the chains on an angle near the outside it will bounce right off and not land. so for my own practice i always count ones that look like they would normally go in on a regular basket. overall i LOVE this portable basket and i keep it in my car for parties and general practice with friends.