• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Hello, long time reader first time poster to this thread. I'd like to thank this thread for helping my game immensely. This morning I played O'Hauser Park with just a Champ Leopard, a Star SM Roc, and 2 Foci(they were in my new to me simian). I threw a 64 which is .09 throws better than my average after 22 recorded rounds. I am driving farther and more accurately now with 2 feet of snow on the ground with the leopard as I was last spring with a destroyer. :clap:

If you like the leopard, the stalker is the next thing between that and the teebird. 3 great discs. You could play anything with anyone of those, buzz/roc and a putter.

I heard along time ago when the Beast and Orc came out, "they don't go farther, they just get there faster".

I don't think I'll ever buy into this concept as much as many of the other posters I have followed here but discing down has changed my game. I use putters much more on upshots. I use putters or mids off teeboxes now where before that was never even an option in my mind. I don't have the big arm, my form isn't anything to write home about, but I can play 950 golf by making good decisions and executing the shots I know how to throw. I appreciate all the wisdom that has been shared here. I find myself reaching for a Teebird where I used to throw a Boss knowing that the 15' I'll lose in distance is well worth the peace of mind that comes with added predictability and more control. The slow road to improvement is bumpy as all get out, but at least I like where I'm headed. Thank you all.

^^^

want cleaner form? Get an X Comet and use it often, I can't believe what it has done for my snap and OAT.

Last edited:
I love out driving the people I play with with mids. THANKS DISCING DOWN ADVENTURES!

I've drastically cut down on my most used discs.

It's now:

Teebirds (two Star 150s, a DX 165 and two max weight Champions, which is a nice spread for different wind conditions and seasons)
Z Buzzz 175 (and occasionally a CyrZtal Buzzz 177)
Gumbputt 175

I still do carry a collection of discs I use for odd situations.

86 Softie 175 for short right dogleg holes
Medium Ion 175 for driving putts (the Gumbputt wobbles too much on them to get distance and accuracy)
Champion Panther 165 for getting myself out of trouble
Pro Katana 167 for those holes that are extra long
DX Cobras (One is San Marino 167 that I use kind of like the Panther and the other is a modern 146 that I use for BH flicks to get around stuff)

I mostly use the TeeBirds, the Buzzzes and the GumbPutt, but there's never a game that one or two of the others don't make an appearance. I find this to be a nice balance between discing down and not discing down. I use three primaries, but I still have the specialty discs with me, in case I need them.

I played a little casual league tournament this weekend, no hole was longer than 300 feet. I cleared out my bag and only took putter and midranges with me.

Well, what can I say... The drives werent the problem, I didnt need any drivers. I didnt hit a single put though, but that is another story.

It was fun to only carry 2 putters, a comet, a buzz and a wasp. The bag felt very light. The looks I got were priceless. And I can now say with confidence that I dont need drivers for anything up to 300 feet.

Now that I understand what discing down means, I gotta say that I had this idea from the very first time I started playing golf, but I always felt slightly insecure when I didnt bring my full bag of discs to have the full variety of choises. I still use all sorts of discs, and also high speed drivers like the nuke, boss, destroyer, but only when it is realy needed.

^^^

want cleaner form? Get an X Comet and use it often, I can't believe what it has done for my snap and OAT.

I recently purchased a comet and have fallen in love with it. I can't believe I have never had one of these before. I love how it flies absolutely straight and finishes straight. I have been using this on most holes now.

I recently purchased a comet and have fallen in love with it. I can't believe I have never had one of these before. I love how it flies absolutely straight and finishes straight. I have been using this on most holes now.

they awesome except for wind, and flex shots. They can have strong fades if you throw them with the right angles but honestly just pair them with a DX Rancho Roc and you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else at mids.

they awesome except for wind, and flex shots. They can have strong fades if you throw them with the right angles but honestly just pair them with a DX Rancho Roc and you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else at mids.

Because Buzzzes are awesome. :\

buzzzes are awesome, but I have never seen one glide as effortlessly as the comet does.

the only thing I've ever known buzzz's to do that my rocs or comets can't is that far low tunnel shot. But I'm fine with that because I've got a stalker for a utility disc. Now one might say "why not just use the buzzz then" and its because I'd end up needing a SS or meteor to go with it an a fairway anyway. I won't say the Buzzz is a bad disc, its just that the Roc Comet combo is the staple to my bag.

^^^

I hate the way the Comet feels in my hand. Much like the Roc, that weird rim is a huge turnoff. I'm using Wizards and ESP Buzzz and a recently found Scout... really starting to love that Scout.

^^^^ That's why a bunchnof peole love the Fuse. Feels good I the paw to some of us. I could never bond with the Comet either.