• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I have a 167 Cobra, but it's a San Marino circle stamp Cobra. Doesn't fly at all the same. It just wants to turn over and roll... so right now, it's out.

In any case, I've never really had a problem with the Cobra on distance. Just a BH flick and it easily makes it 150 feet. With a more powerful throw, I can get over 200. The Panther is an all around workhorse of a mid. I can get it to turn and fade however I want. The Cobra as well, but it's better at long and straight.

So thinking about discing down reminded me of this event:

At hole 11 at west park, a 450' foot hole thats flat and open, but steadily funnels down to a point with a creek on each side, a buddy an I were playing.

He tees off first (with a driver, I think boss?), and has a really nice drive (for him) and puts it close to 280' out there. I follow up and tee off, beating him by a good 30'-40'. He turns and says to me, "That wasn't a putter, was it? If you out threw me with a putter I'm gonna feel like a real bitch." I smile to myself and respond, "No.....it was a mid." ;)

Moral of the story: Out throwing your friends with slower discs is an awesome bonus to discing down.

So thinking about discing down reminded me of this event:

At hole 11 at west park, a 450' foot hole thats flat and open, but steadily funnels down to a point with a creek on each side, a buddy an I were playing.

He tees off first (with a driver, I think boss?), and has a really nice drive (for him) and puts it close to 280' out there. I follow up and tee off, beating him by a good 30'-40'. He turns and says to me, "That wasn't a putter, was it? If you out threw me with a putter I'm gonna feel like a real bitch." I smile to myself and respond, "No.....it was a mid." ;)

Moral of the story: Out throwing your friends with slower discs is an awesome bonus to discing down.

Exactly what I'm trying to get out of discing down. Throwing a Buzzz further than other's throw a Nuke or a Destroyer just give's you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside that let's you know that hard work does pay off. Currently my Buzzz maxes out at 300' in the open.

I went out and field tested everything I have in the bag, plus a couple extra for fun.

I was getting my putters out to around 150 steadily. The Ions seemed to fly the farthest, getting out to the 170+ area while the rest lagged behind. The only one that could hang was the Gopher. I was shocked as I got out there and realized that this gigantic lid was about ten feet further half the time. The Gumbputt was the most accurate, but was one of the shortest glides. Which is useful info, I suppose.

Mids are all out past 250. The least distance ones are my two Buzzz'. They get 200 at best, but I think that's a weight issue, more than a mold issue. I just don't have the arm for really heavy discs. They were straight as an arrow, though. Only faded a tiny bit at the end. The farthest was my light Cobra, getting almost 300. Accuracy lagged behind the Buzzz' a bit, though.

TeeBirds were awesome, as always, hitting the mid 300s like usual. The exception was newly aquired T-L, which flips constantly. That's what I get for paying $4.97 for a used disc off the internet, I guess. The DX TeeBird I got at the same time does pretty good, working well in the wind that the 150 class Stars can't handle easily.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results. I know I can drive with any disc, given enough practice on what it takes to get it out there with control. It's not the greatest of distances, but it's a baseline for me to beat, at least.

That sounds very good, but it seems like you should be able to get your putters out farther. I can't hit your high-end distance, but can get putters easily to 200' on a course and probably around 220' or so in the field. Make sure you give your putters some height. They need more to get distance. Great job with that Cobra and Teebirds.

I think it's a matter of practice, grip and form... I've never thrown putters from outside thirty feet or so before the past couple weeks ("They're 'putters'! You can't drive with them! ... Can you?") , so it's a different feeling.

Once I get used to the way the discs fly under a full power throw, I can work on improving the distance. Right now I'm working on accuracy and consistency at moderate distance and will add on longer distance in time.

towards the end summer i ran into a guy that was only throwing wizards and buzzzes. I thought he was crazy when I first saw his bag, then I saw him launching wizards close to 300ft. he said he was discing down to improve his game, to which i replied, well it looks like its working after watching him park hole after hole with a putter, while i was throwing a wraith.

so I'm vowing to do the disc down process this spring. right now there is so much snow it doesnt make sense to start something new, let alone throw more than one disc just to search through snow for it.

anyway, Ive disced down a bit, especially in the molds department. here is my bag now
XXX thumbers
Pred meathooks, forehand, and wind
katana distance
river main driver
XL shorter drives with lots of turn
avenger SS annys
drone meathook mids, wind
buzzz most mid shots
Buzzz ss (just got a couple to test
wizard putter drives
magic putts

thinking I'll drop it down to magic-wiz-buzzz-river
but wondering if i should carry the rivers at all, or go with XLs, or cyclones.
should i carry a driver at all?

thanks for any advice :D

First thing I'm going to do when I can start again is putting practice and I'm going to play rounds with the Comet and a putter.

I'm going to test out the Wizards and the Jokeri next to my Ridge and see what stays. After I set in on a putter for the summer I'll bring the Rocs back in and play for a few weeks like this. Working on nose down and such I'll try out a SPLS and ESP Cyclone. I'll pair those with some preds and bango bag-o... the preds to help me with nose down...

anyway, Ive disced down a bit, especially in the molds department. here is my bag now
XXX thumbers
Pred meathooks, forehand, and wind
katana distance
river main driver
XL shorter drives with lots of turn
avenger SS annys
drone meathook mids, wind
buzzz most mid shots
Buzzz ss (just got a couple to test
wizard putter drives
magic putts

You can choose whether or not you want to carry fairway drivers, but if you are, I would go with shorter fairway drivers (cyclone) just to work on nose down.

Or you could not carry drivers at all for awhile, which is what I've been doing. Just make sure you practice a little with neutral fairway drivers in a field so you don't lose your nose down.

magic-wiz-buzzz-river sounds great to me. I think it's good to keep a FW driver to work on nose down throws.

Triflusal beat me to it, props to you homey.

Im dieing to get out to the course (which I plan to come hell or high water Saturday) but also, I want to get my field work in. I think I want to do field work once a week and tell me how this sounds for a schedule.

First field work day, I will throw all 12 of my Magics from a standstill until I cant stand it anymore; but that might be quite a few. Last field work I did something like 430 throws. I was getting my Magics to about 260' from a standstill but with a ton of height to where I dont try to do that on the course that much. Would like to see if I can beat that and maybe start getting them closer to 300'

2nd field work, my 4 Hornets and 4 Fuses from a standstill;

3rd Field work, I will add in the 2 Rivers (Think I will get more by then, may also be another disc Im undecided on as well) and 10 Preds from a stand still doing skip drills with the premium plastic Preds

4th field work, I think I will throw 2-4 of each of the previously mentioned discs from a standstill and start adding in some distance drivers to field test

5th Field work will continue with all discs but add a step

6th field work the all discs but add in 2 steps

7th Field work all disscs, full run up

8th Field work, have a stack of my distance drivers for their dedicated run but with full run up

Weekly field work after that with the discs regularly in my bag (which should be 100% complete by then) along with some of their spares to maintain a broken in back up. Will do some skip and hyzer drills mixed in, along with some FH and Roller training.

Meanwhile, I plan to get my regular rounds in using the full bag as to constantly be aquainted with my entire bag.

What do you guys think? Im determined to make this year the one where I really make a breakthrough on my distance.

I've been struggling with my driving since the snow fell. I am the definition of a bomb carrying noodle arm. I know, I know, don't throw it if you don't have the arm for it. Blah, blah, blah. If a Destoyer or a Nuke can get me past 300ft then that's what I'm throwing. But so far this winter my distance game has gotten even worse. Because of a mostly torn right achilles tendon, I'm very, very sensitive about footing. And nothing will ruin your drive then unsure footing. So yesterday I banished the Destroyer, Nuke, Katana. It was Pulse, Surge SS, & Flick. And I've played my best round since the snow arrived. Next weekend I think I'll eliminate the Surge as well.

I read somewhere, I think it was Scott Papa's article in the PDGA Mag, that discs are more stable in the winter. I've noticed that, usually with a good snap, my Star Sidewinder will turn over for me and it's been straight as an arrow. That could be what you're experiencing.

The other thing I always think about is if you're wearing restrictive clothing. I am usually all layered up, so that doesn't help :\

What does help is working with slower discs for a while. My distance has improved at least 20 ft since I started using them more.

Not much good can come from trying to diagnose your form in the middle of winter with bad footing and restrictive clothing. Plenty of bad habits though, if you try to compensate.

I am now anti-snow rounds of disc golf.

I realize that the restrictive nature of my extra layers of clothing are a hinderance. But when you have less than 50% of a basically unrepairable right achilles you tend to baby your footing. I can easily rupture what's left and possibly wind up wheelchair or crutches bound for the rest of my life. My max distance comes from LHFH which means you have to plant that right foot to follow through. And if I worry about that planting of my right foot or worse if I slip a little my drives go haywire. The Pulse was the most dependable and versatile (in its limited way) driver in my bag over the past month and a half. The Flick is always dependable for what it does and I've lost damn little distance with the Flick. And well Surge SS FLX can go right (again LHFH) better than anything else I throw. So I've eliminated 2 or 3 drivers and improved my winter game.

I've just recently obtained a sweet flying Avenger SS. Only had it a week so far and it is looking like it might just replace every fairway driver I own. Sorry Leoprd, Sorry Cyclone. XL still has a chance since its much more stable than the Avenger SS. So perhaps I'll be discing down even more.

Not much good can come from trying to diagnose your form in the middle of winter with bad footing and restrictive clothing. Plenty of bad habits though, if you try to compensate.

I am now anti-snow rounds of disc golf.

I've heard that a few pros pretty much take Winter off and just work out. Not a bad idea really. My addiction would get the best of me though to stop playing entirely just b/c of snow. I'd hit up the pitch and putts with a Polecat or some other lid and just polish up the finesse game.

My addiction would get the best of me though to stop playing entirely just b/c of snow. I'd hit up the pitch and putts with a Polecat or some other lid and just polish up the finesse game.

Thank goodness for ice bowls.

I've heard that a few pros pretty much take Winter off and just work out. Not a bad idea really. My addiction would get the best of me though to stop playing entirely just b/c of snow. I'd hit up the pitch and putts with a Polecat or some other lid and just polish up the finesse game.

Yeah, my addiction got the best of me and I went to the hilliest course I could think of. Not smart.

Last winter, we went to the pitch and putt of choice a few times and that wasnt bad; especially when you're fiending, but its also a state park and the one time we went, there just wasnt a good way to walk through the snow that was about hip deep.

A month ago, I had several high speed drivers in my bag. Now I have three. One Nuke, one Blitz, one Surge. I've added a Champ Leopard, and a KC Pro Cheetah. I really do like throwing those fairway drivers instead of the fasties on 350-375 ft drives. When I first started reading about discing down, I was like: Pft. Now, it's fun... and I can razz the other guys. 'Dude, I just put a speed 9 past your 13.'