• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania Discontinuing Some Discs

Announce end of production, company sells more, later on ,company brings them back due to "demand" = marketing pizazz?

You must be thinking of the DDX. That one is more like a less glidey turn. Looks like they're scaling back production of those.

Too bad, the DDX is an underrated mold.

I'm a bit surprised they're cutting out the DD2. That thing is an absolute bomber.

I've never heard the DDx referred to as glideless. That thing bombs like crazy.

Newer run DD2's are crap. When Jolly Launcher blends became the norm in C-line/Champion plastic DD2's went downhill, no idea why but that's what I found. I learned that the DD2 I LOVED was a First Run, so I got a small stack of them...

...and then the DDx came out and it was just a better disc for me.

First Run DD2's though...great frisbees. The G-line DD2 was actually a hog as well.

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I love gstar plastic. I currently bag two gstar teebirds, one gstar thunderbird, and a gstar firebird. I also have those molds in champion in my bag as well, but the gstar discs are $$$$. I throw thumbers from time to time and use both the gstar thunderbird and firebird since they are less likely to roll when they hit the ground, works really well for upshots. If Innova ever stops producing gstar, I'll be snagging up as many as I can find.

G-line/G*Star is great. People sleep on it because they think they need stiff plastic, but they use it to hide clunky wrist action on the release.

I had a G-line PD in the bag for awhile, it was basically the ancestor to the Instinct. Not in design particularly, but in flight.

That's interesting
o.png

I throw a Fluid Escape, a G* Leopard, and a G* TL3. I think they are most accurate to their numbers right out of the box and actually don't beat in a ton.

For my noodle arm, The G* Leopard is an amazing uphill utility disc. When I don't know what to throw, I throw it. Just gets up to speed quickly. Also a great slow turnover disc. I've been known to upshoot with it too, if I feel like I'm out of putter range and need a dead straight line, and especially if uphill. Because G*, tends to land softly.

I don't think Innova's GStar sells very well either, but I've heard that Dave Dunipace is a huge fan and desperately wants it to stay in production and succeed, for whatever reason.

Note that Trilogy also discontinued their Fluid lineup not too long ago, if I remember correctly. Though you see a few hardcore fans, it seems like the market in general just doesn't really go for that plastic type, and neither do the pros that could be promoting it.

Makes me think when Dave Dunpace dies the next owner of Innova might stop G-Star all together to save money on a less selling line of discs or at best just make the G-Star as a limited never in full production run plastic you can only get from the Factory store.

I don't think Innova's GStar sells very well either, but I've heard that Dave Dunipace is a huge fan and desperately wants it to stay in production and succeed, for whatever reason.
Makes me think when Dave Dunpace dies the next owner of Innova might stop G-Star all together to save money on a less selling line of discs or at best just make the G-Star as a limited never in full production run plastic you can only get from the Factory store.

Dave D. is now holding Innova back IMHO. I swear only he tests new discs with his geezer friends. Remember the last umpteen mega fast discs that were going to be way overstable, turned out to be roller discs?

RIP DD and CD. No reason to get rid of gems - they didn't sell cause they didn't have em in stock. Literally could not carry a stock of them and they were sold out again. :doh:

Announce end of production, company sells more, later on ,company brings them back due to "demand" = marketing pizazz?

I wish they had done a "Final Run" at least so we could have gotten some. Maybe next time they clear out the old to make room for the new.

Dave D. is now holding Innova back IMHO. I swear only he tests new discs with his geezer friends. Remember the last umpteen mega fast discs that were going to be way overstable, turned out to be roller discs?

Yeah I think now he is testing discs with players that are either A. no power players or B. the longtime pro players that were with the company since the begging or at least the early-mid 1990's. Yeah I also think he has taken on the testing himself as the final word and that is really hurting the company for high speed drivers. Basically I feel that anything past a 12 speed from Innova is not worth buying as they are way inconstant compared to other brands and even some 12 speed discs are inconstant in the way they are made or fly odd like a Whaoo (too much glide) but still sell for some reason.

Yeah I think now he is testing discs with players that are either A. no power players or B. the longtime pro players that were with the company since the begging or at least the early-mid 1990's. Yeah I also think he has taken on the testing himself as the final word and that is really hurting the company for high speed drivers. Basically I feel that anything past a 12 speed from Innova is not worth buying as they are way inconstant compared to other brands and even some 12 speed discs are inconstant in the way they are made or fly odd like a Whaoo (too much glide) but still sell for some reason.

If I hear Jussi ever say VTech I think I'll die.

All the convex rim stuff making discs understable, oof. The P1x has it, and maybe the TDx which never even made it to a flight chart before it was 86'd

Jussi knows what players want, that's why Discmania is crushing it.

If I hear Jussi ever say VTech I think I'll die.

All the convex rim stuff making discs understable, oof. The P1x has it, and maybe the TDx which never even made it to a flight chart before it was 86'd

Jussi knows what players want, that's why Discmania is crushing it.

I will agree other then the VTech used for the Colt and possibly the Stud the discs are not really that great VROC is more a between putter and midrange hybrid that other discs like the Shark or Mako/3 can do better even some faster discs like the Spider and The Gator can do this better. If I hear + rims or molds for Discmania then I will cringe as that has changed up one of the most iconic putters XD to XD+ and not for the better. Only disc the + Mold has worked for is the Whale and Discmania copy of the Whale as those molds were made with the + in the mold in the first place, built around that as the concept.

I will agree other then the VTech used for the Colt and possibly the Stud the discs are not really that great VROC is more a between putter and midrange hybrid that other discs like the Shark or Mako/3 can do better even some faster discs like the Spider and The Gator can do this better. If I hear + rims or molds for Discmania then I will cringe as that has changed up one of the most iconic putters XD to XD+ and not for the better. Only disc the + Mold has worked for is the Whale and Discmania copy of the Whale as those molds were made with the + in the mold in the first place, built around that as the concept.

V-tech did okay with the Whale, as well as the Colt and (especially) the Stud. V-tech is not all that bad, it just never was very popular with many DG purists.

The VRoc is a very decent disc, but the Roc purists hated the name attached to it.

V-tech did okay with the Whale, as well as the Colt and (especially) the Stud. V-tech is not all that bad, it just never was very popular with many DG purists.

The VRoc is a very decent disc, but the Roc purists hated the name attached to it.

It's funny, I never considered a VRoc but as soon as Infinite did the Ra(Roc3X Top VRoc wing) I tried and very much liked it. Having the Roc name attached may have actually hurt sales on that one.

I'm a big fan of GStar. I only throw Sidewinders in that plastic, but it is my favorite plastic for the Sidewinder that is in production. I feel like they mold up better in GStar than in Champion or Star. I sure hope they don't go out of production, but if they do, I'm sitting on a stack of them.

I was not sure if the Whale was Vtech as well as + mold, then the VROC is a decent disc just other Innova discs do that same slot better. The VROC in DX makes for a Windy day putter very well, as well as a longer Approach putter/disc but others like Shark and Mako as midrange and then Say putters like the Dart, Colt, and Stud even Hydra work better for these types of shots.

Lol, this characterization of Jussi and Dave's relationship is funny.

FWIW Dave's son Kobyn is involved in disc design and has been for some time now. While Discmania and Innova's relationship as companies is far too complex and nuanced to risk discussing it on a forum without consulting the people that actually work there, let's just say that this forum has guessed at Dave's demeanor, intentions, and general disposition many many times over the years that I've been here, and has pretty much never gotten it right.

Dunipace isn't a CEO. He's an inventor. Asking him to stop inventing or refining designs would be like suggesting we play on baskets with no chains. Part of the reason we love making putts is to hear the sound, and part of the reason you as consumers put up with the bevy of high speed drivers that come and go is because you know that eventually he's going to hit one so far out of the park the other guys will be left scratching their heads.

...and this isn't me stumping for a particular company, just speaking what we all see. How many pros other than Paul Ulibarri have "gone back home" to other companies not named Innova? How many of you bought 5 different Speed 13+ drivers, then bagged the Shryke when it came out and it's still being thrown?

No shade at all meant towards anybody else, just basically saying respect the OG's process. The man knows disc design, and everybody else learned from him or from his designs.

Lol, this characterization of Jussi and Dave's relationship is funny.

FWIW Dave's son Kobyn is involved in disc design and has been for some time now. While Discmania and Innova's relationship as companies is far too complex and nuanced to risk discussing it on a forum without consulting the people that actually work there, let's just say that this forum has guessed at Dave's demeanor, intentions, and general disposition many many times over the years that I've been here, and has pretty much never gotten it right.

Dunipace isn't a CEO. He's an inventor. Asking him to stop inventing or refining designs would be like suggesting we play on baskets with no chains. Part of the reason we love making putts is to hear the sound, and part of the reason you as consumers put up with the bevy of high speed drivers that come and go is because you know that eventually he's going to hit one so far out of the park the other guys will be left scratching their heads.

...and this isn't me stumping for a particular company, just speaking what we all see. How many pros other than Paul Ulibarri have "gone back home" to other companies not named Innova? How many of you bought 5 different Speed 13+ drivers, then bagged the Shryke when it came out and it's still being thrown?

No shade at all meant towards anybody else, just basically saying respect the OG's process. The man knows disc design, and everybody else learned from him or from his designs.

I agree it is just that I feel the limit for high speed disc design is over as it is hard for any brand making discs over 12 speed to have any sort of constancy and even the pro players rarely have anything beyond a 12-13 speed discs. So then why focus some of the more recent developments to these long discs? I think doing more like the Bullfrog and other discs, the Rat in late 2017 that more discs golf players mostly the non pro players would use as well as the pro players makes more sense then focusing on these really high speed drivers. I can't use more then a 12 speed disc, the others are too high speed for my small size.

I agree it is just that I feel the limit for high speed disc design is over as it is hard for any brand making discs over 12 speed to have any sort of constancy and even the pro players rarely have anything beyond a 12-13 speed discs. So then why focus some of the more recent developments to these long discs? I think doing more like the Bullfrog and other discs, the Rat in late 2017 that more discs golf players mostly the non pro players would use as well as the pro players makes more sense then focusing on these really high speed drivers. I can't use more then a 12 speed disc, the others are too high speed for my small size.

I couldn't and wouldn't fault you for directing a company that way.

I do remember Dave saying in a Q&A before that the (paraphrasing here) next barrier to break is a stable disc at high speed. Or maybe making the Speed 15 FD or Leopard3 is his white whale...

Latest posts