• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania Distance Driver/ Hysteria

I have 2 s line DD Hysteria drivers. I love 'em! I call them my "headwind Wraith" also work well for spike hyzer throws, flex FH shots and skips around corners. Great disc, nice necro bump!

G-DD comes up about 10-15 short of my Tournament Worlds, but these DDs are Line-drive straight and handle the wind a little better. The durability of the plastic is not the greatest, so even though I stockpiled seven of them, they are not a long-term solution. I tried seasoning in an S, but they were dumpy and short. I had a nice C, but they too were coming up short because a lack of glide in comparison to the Trespasses, Enforcers, and Worlds I was trying out. My Worlds get between 380-420 for reference.

G-DD comes up about 10-15 short of my Tournament Worlds, but these DDs are Line-drive straight and handle the wind a little better. The durability of the plastic is not the greatest, so even though I stockpiled seven of them, they are not a long-term solution. I tried seasoning in an S, but they were dumpy and short. I had a nice C, but they too were coming up short because a lack of glide in comparison to the Trespasses, Enforcers, and Worlds I was trying out. My Worlds get between 380-420 for reference.

if you only threw speed 9s and wanted a wind fighting distance driver that wouldnt flip in most winds (and still finish left) what would you choose

I have 2 s line DD Hysteria drivers. I love 'em! I call them my "headwind Wraith" also work well for spike hyzer throws, flex FH shots and skips around corners. Great disc, nice necro bump!

lookin at it with only feel and visual i would guess these things are flippier than the wraith

interesting..........

Definitely not flipper than a Wraith. Like I said, more HSS, but no more LSS- maybe even less, at least for the P-Lines I've been throwing. Like people say Teebird vs Eagle.

I would say a straighter Wraith but equal to maybe shorter, if anything. Definitely not longer for me.

if you only threw speed 9s and wanted a wind fighting distance driver that wouldnt flip in most winds (and still finish left) what would you choose

FB definitely. I throw very similar distances and was getting 350'+ out of my G-DD before Star Destroyers kicked it out for some reason.

g would feel so good in this one

was it hyzer flip straight or fat s straight

how far you throw it

and is that fresh or seasoned or beat

this one is 172.5g and beat

Fresh 167. I get the Wraith out to 350-380. The DD is significantly shorter. The DD isnt a mellow wraith at all, its like the PD2 version of a wraith. Very strong HSS, it starts fading in the high speed portion of the flight. I'd rate the disc 11/4/+0/3

lookin at it with only feel and visual i would guess these things are flippier than the wraith

interesting..........

I have a couple freak Wraiths that are as stable but generally speaking the DD is going to be more stable across the board. Discmania stuff is notoriously different from run to run tho. Like second run FDs are darn near FD3 stability I hear (not willing to pay $40 yet) but all in all when there's a Driver over speed nine in the bag it's a Wraith and I have one that'll handle everything except a ripper headwind (20-30mpg gusts, rare in my neck of the woods but does happen)

Here is my entire driver setup, and as we play in Minnesota, we get our wind gusts, but we can also have some very protected courses, so I am still guessing sometimes about the wind. I was way wrong when I played courses in Kansas and New Mexico last summer.

Star Roadrunner - only the Star Barsby can handle any headwind
GStar TeeBird3 - can handle moderate winds, especially when not going for distance
GLine PD - does not handle headwind well, better for calm conditions
Champion Thunderbird - handles wind well, but no fade and no distance in a headwind
GLine DD - can handle moderate winds, but going more for placement than raw distance
VIP World - calm or tailwind bomber
Tournament World - can handle light headwind
Lucid Enforcer - forehand or moderate headwind, will come up short of World otherwise
Opto XXX - Thumbers, but now seasoned enough where it is a shorter Thunderbird; stable, but no longer overstable.

I guess my answer would be either the Thunderbird or XXX. I do not like how HSS the Thunderbird is, but in time they will get there. I like the Air Force stamped ones as they are closer to out-of-the-box to what I want. I do not know if it is body mechanics of how I throw the XXX or the seasoning from numerous thumbers, but my three XXX do not act overstable any more. They are definitely stable, as I still need to crank on them to get them to fly backhanded, but they fly straight for about 330 or so before dumping hard - minimal fade.

So, I decided to not really overthink the wind. It needs to be a severe gust before I change what I normally throw. I then decided to change how I throw my second shot. Instead of always using the Gold Line Pure for everything, I am going with a combination of Gold Line Pures, Soft Pures, Medium Harps, and VIP Harps. By not worrying about my drivers in the wind, I lose some birdie opportunities, but making pars is a lot easier than when I overthink what driver to throw and I am way off, making that second shot even farther away than it needs be.

great responses thank you all!!

i tried out the pdd today vs a mostly fresh champ wraith (only wraith i had on hand)

pdd had some wiggle in the hss but always came back

cw had no turn and harder fade but great forward fade

pdd was great for shallow flex (smarkquart hole 4 at hidden lake i throw a 75% power shallow flex and i landed long on the far side of the rough of the fairway looking at the basket)

this really was an apples and oranges comparison i think this beat pdd flew like a seasoned pro wraith as it had a little flip and still faded predictably

i would guess a new sdd would be that glideless straight dud while this beat pdd was actually fun to throw and had alright glide

this is in no way a game changer disc for me but it was enjoyable

my question may have been a bit blurry

i was wondering if anyone here only had speed 9s in the bag and wanted one of a speed 10 or higher driver, what would you throw?

i was wondering if anyone here only had speed 9s in the bag and wanted one of a speed 10 or higher driver, what would you throw?

I am currently bagging only speed nines. If I were going to throw anything faster it would be the Wraith. For now and the foreseeable future.

I am currently bagging only speed nines. If I were going to throw anything faster it would be the Wraith. For now and the foreseeable future.

I did the speed 9 thing as my fastest discs for awhile and the only "distance driver" I bagged was a broken in Star Wraith.

That only came out on a few of the wide open long holes around here.

I did the speed 9 thing as my fastest discs for awhile and the only "distance driver" I bagged was a broken in Star Wraith.

This is roughly my setup. I bag 6 to 9 speeds for essentially all my drives unless I'm in the open and looking for distance. Then one of the 3 Star Wraiths comes out.

An S line DD stands in as the overstable Wraith occasionally.

this is what im starting to believe is true for me as well

and you play a lot of the similar style courses i do and this was the set up i was leaning towards

This is roughly my setup. I bag 6 to 9 speeds for essentially all my drives unless I'm in the open and looking for distance. Then one of the 3 Star Wraiths comes out.

An S line DD stands in as the overstable Wraith occasionally.

how much farther you get your wraith out there for over speed 9s

how much farther you get your wraith out there for over speed 9s

Roughly 50 feet when golfing but with the right wind and right wraith(fairly light and fairly seasoned) I can hit 500'. I can't do that with my 9's. 9's are for the 350-420 range, DD*/wraith for 400+.

*trying to stay vaguely on topic.

so its like a glideless seasoned wraith
Yeah, like a seasoned, glideless Star Wraith, one of those flat Wraiths that are beefy and dumpy. The S-DD just cuts through wind a little better. I don't know which run mine is but it does have the Hysteria stamp on it, not swirly.

For distance, not a S-DD. There's plenty of speed 9ers that you can get decent headwind distance out of so you'd be wasting the extra speed bagging a S-DD for that. A light Wraith with dome would probably be easier distance.

OLF OLF is the main driver for me. slightly slower than a Wraith but I can Chuck it just as far I may get myself 20' extra sometimes with the Wraith. My goal is to get the OLFs out to 350'-375' consistently. Then I will put the Wraith back in there.