• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania to partner with Yikun and Latitude 64

I'm pretty sure Horsman throws HARD, and Trilogy stuff does have a very quick initial break in. Then I think it holds steady. I can definitely see how for someone with big power this is a minus, although there are enough OS molds out in Trilogy lines that you can get around that.

For the more normal player, the Trilogy plastics break in in a way that they can actually see. Not like playing 25 days a month while throwing 65+MPH to break in champ plastic. Plus they have good hand feel for most and lots of the molds have good glide. So the properties I see big arms maybe not liking are also the properties that a lot of disc golfers want. I don't think "inferior" is the right term, but less stable/durable is true IME. That said I have lots of Trilogy molds in the bag and several have been in there for many seasons.

I was merely trying to point out that he posts that sentiment a lot, and already had done so multiple times in this thread. I totally understand why some people dislike the Swedish plastic (although I personally love it for the reasons you stated). Wasn't arguing his sentiment, just pointing out its redundancy.

Disc companies don't have patents on mold shapes.

Wow. Are you sure about this? If true, then this is crazy. And it makes me wonder why a company would spend a bunch of money on RDT&E when someone else could steal their mold design with no legal repercussions.

Wow. Are you sure about this? If true, then this is crazy. And it makes me wonder why a company would spend a bunch of money on RDT&E when someone else could steal their mold design with no legal repercussions.

Patents have to represent something new, unique, and non-obvious to someone skilled in the art in question. So breakthrough new designs like the beveled-edge disc versus the old lid style could be patented (now expired). But you can't patent design modifications like making a disc a little bigger/smaller, a little more or less curved here or there, with or without a bead, etc. It has to be something different enough to not be obvious.

Patents have to represent something new, unique, and non-obvious to someone skilled in the art in question. So breakthrough new designs like the beveled-edge disc versus the old lid style could be patented (now expired). But you can't patent design modifications like making a disc a little bigger/smaller, a little more or less curved here or there, with or without a bead, etc. It has to be something different enough to not be obvious.
You can only protect the design/disc name, plastic line and your brand. Thus, the importance of branding and marketing in an increasingly commoditized global market.

I'm pretty sure Horsman throws HARD, and Trilogy stuff does have a very quick initial break in.

I noticed this as well. The swords I used to throw would get unpredictably flippy after about a month. I just keep a fresh one in the car in case I loose my beat to straight wraith, but I'm not sponsored and buying a new disc all the time just so I can unload the ones that got flippy in a month doesn't make sense. I also had a few other trilogy molds that came very pop top brand new, and randomly had the flight plate puddle from routine transportation in the car during the summer (and I live in NY). Maybe I just got unlucky with the few trilogy discs I tried. The only one that has stood the test of time was an old giant I got before the trilogy rebrand. That thing is money.

He specifically said they wouldn't be using existing molds to create new discs?

So they are making all new molds?

Me:
Am I right in assuming that the deal you have going with Lat64 and Yikun is pretty 1:1 as the one you have with Innova. I.e. their plastics, their mold pieces, branded Discmania.

Austin:
Not totally. These new lineups will feature 100% new molds and plastic, designed by us.

I was merely trying to point out that he posts that sentiment a lot, and already had done so multiple times in this thread. I totally understand why some people dislike the Swedish plastic (although I personally love it for the reasons you stated). Wasn't arguing his sentiment, just pointing out its redundancy.

I post it a lot because I hear it a lot.

I just figured people got smart and learned that Lat64 has inferior plastic compared to its competitors.

Hmmm... I absolutely love Opto/Lucid/VIP. In my opinion it's more durable than Star but less durable than Champion. I can grip it way better than Champion though so it hits my sweet spot for durability and grip. To each their own I guess.

I'm excited to have more discs in my favorite plastic - Opto/Lucid/VIP/NEO

This announcement did not live up to the hype (McBeth to Discraft was a far more earth-and-DG-shaking event), but I'm curious what this is going to mean for the Innova-Discmania and DynamicDiscs-Lat64 relationships. Seems like things are "busy" right now with all these cooks in the kitchen... :popcorn:

I think my favorite thing so far from reading the website is that they say that they are going to be adding higher end products to the market via lat64 and that quality matters. Im not sure if they did their research ahead of time but lat64's plastic has been know to not hold up as well as innova. They might be able to produce a more consistent flight pattern in discs but overall they are a lower quality. I dont see this going well for Discmania unless they get Simon and Eagle to throw the crap out of the new stuff.

Dave Feldberg would disagree directly with your moment about durability. He said in his most recent in the bag with infinite, that it's hard to beat Lat64 in.

This announcement did not live up to the hype (McBeth to Discraft was a far more earth-and-DG-shaking event), but I'm curious what this is going to mean for the Innova-Discmania and DynamicDiscs-Lat64 relationships. Seems like things are "busy" right now with all these cooks in the kitchen... :popcorn:

Or rather a lot of servers waiting on a couple of cooks...

Dave Feldberg would disagree directly with your moment about durability. He said in his most recent in the bag with infinite, that it's hard to beat Lat64 in.

I wonder if he was talking his book (i.e. his sponsor), or if he has a plastic available to him that others don't. I've found Gold Line to be anything but durable, and while Opto is more durable, my experience (sample size, a lot of discs) is that it's not even close to Champion and not even as durable as Star. And I have several Rivers and Furys that can testify to how easily they beat in.

I wonder if he was talking his book (i.e. his sponsor), or if he has a plastic available to him that others don't. I've found Gold Line to be anything but durable, and while Opto is more durable, my experience (sample size, a lot of discs) is that it's not even close to Champion and not even as durable as Star. And I have several Rivers and Furys that can testify to how easily they beat in.

tbh of recent its not even about their durability its about how horrid their flashing is you dont end up throwing it in the first place cuz the discs will cut your fingers so worrying about the durability is unnecessary

trilogy killed itself

tbh of recent its not even about their durability its about how horrid their flashing is you dont end up throwing it in the first place cuz the discs will cut your fingers so worrying about the durability is unnecessary

trilogy killed itself

I don't have a ton to compare but I got a bunch of latitude discs today and my Pure in base plastic has flashing and maybe a little on the gold line one. Mids and Drivers are fine.

My first disc ever I bought was the worst and it was a Star Aviar P&A but I guess no bead putters like Aviar and Pure are more prone to flashing I guess. My MVP, Discraft and Kastaplast discs never had flashing.

Flashing is annoying and I sure think company should sell discs without it but at least it's not that hard to smooth them myself now.

Latest posts