• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Great Lakes Open - May 31st - June 2nd

^ true, but you get to see 'em all!

I had to leave just before the big names came to my hole :( but I still had a good time.

Yeah this is true and some will even talk to you a bit..its cool...The pros not a whole lot, not that I would expect it....they're out there concentrating on doing their job...

I am sooo jealous. I think it is great you guys are stepping up and helping make this a great event. Did you score any swag for the volunteer work?

Yeah. I mean I figured it would be fun and it was for the most part. The hole I was on was tough for one person. There was trouble on both sides and I couldn't see them throw if I wanted to have any chance of seeing a disc land...you basically had to stand on the one side to see any discs go into the brush or you'd never find it. Problem with that is if they went to the other side on you you couldn't get over to mark a disc or see it before the next person threw..

Some discs a shirt and lunch....no too bad just for standing around finding peoples discs for them Id say...

Got a few discs and one of those "brighter than orange" dri-fits... they're pretty good about that.
I'm pretty tied up this weekend, or I'd be out there more - daughter's HS commencement tomorrow and my mom's in from FL.

I might volunteer for significant hours/day for USADGC next weekend - would bring my cooler and a camp chair and make a comfy, fun day of it. Had a few waits between groups today where I wish I had a seat.

Yeah I didn't get too many big waits..but a seat would have been nice anyway. I was going to gt one yesterday but I didn't get a chance...I don't mind sitting on the ground as long as its not wet....

I live alone and I'm single so I have to luxury to do to all day...

I'm a bit torn though they're going to have a flymart tomorrow and supposedly they're bringing some good stuff...I'm afraid it will all be gone through before I'm done spotting....I'm still on the hunt for a white 10th buzzz or a cool misprint...that stuff is most likely to be gone by the time I can go look though...

I spotted Hole 8 Friday and Hole 12 Saturday. Saw every card except the first 2 both days. I saw some amazing shots on 12. Rollers, annys, flicks, mids, putters, Nuke OSs. Plus shade a a good breexze made it out to be the best hole I think of the day. Only one 2 on the hole all day and it was a 200' throw in, longer than Will's throw in anny from Friday of 160'.

The big names are all great guys,. While spotting 8 I had the pad position to let them know when to fire and was able to shoot the **** with Uli (both of them), Nikko, McBeth (his allergies were kicking his ass Friday, prolly not much better Saturday), McCabe (who I can't believe might be a shocking 150lbs soaking wet lol), Will, Ricky (who yes has his calf in a brace and a slight though noticeable limp; makes his rounds that much more amazing), GG. Big Jerm, Feldberg (who is a riot), Roan, Paige, Ragna, Britany Blair, Sarah Demar, Des and Jay Reading, Phil Arthur, Mark Ellis, and got to see many local buddies out there tearing it up as well. About 90-95% of the cards out there very appreciative of us spotters, and many made a point to be really thankful about it.

Today got to warm up with Dave some and talked Lat64 discs, being that we are teammates basically. He really is a good guy, at least from my experiences. He is a lil out there, talks to himself constantly on the course, like a color commentary style. Sat and chatted with Jay Reading for about 30 minutes while waiting for Des to finish on 18, great dude. Hilarious. Saw Paige crush a drive off 17 that easy hit the 550' mark, set her up for a birdie 3.

Nikko didn't stick around long after his rounds, he's up and down a lot. Saturday he was circa 2010 Nikko, worked Dave a hole away by yelling after missing a putt.Was seen stomping around, and even hitting himself in the head, and lots of cursing. a big difference from the other team members, such as Will, Ricky, and Uli. Will and Ricky are amazing stand up guys. Got autographs by everyone, all very happy to do it. I had an absolute blast, and am very bummed I have to work Sunday and I can't be out there again.

I spotted Hole 8 Friday and Hole 12 Saturday. Saw every card except the first 2 both days. I saw some amazing shots on 12. Rollers, annys, flicks, mids, putters, Nuke OSs. Plus shade a a good breexze made it out to be the best hole I think of the day. Only one 2 on the hole all day and it was a 200' throw in, longer than Will's throw in anny from Friday of 160'.

The big names are all great guys,. While spotting 8 I had the pad position to let them know when to fire and was able to shoot the **** with Uli (both of them), Nikko, McBeth (his allergies were kicking his ass Friday, prolly not much better Saturday), McCabe (who I can't believe might be a shocking 150lbs soaking wet lol), Will, Ricky (who yes has his calf in a brace and a slight though noticeable limp; makes his rounds that much more amazing), GG. Big Jerm, Feldberg (who is a riot), Roan, Paige, Ragna, Britany Blair, Sarah Demar, Des and Jay Reading, Phil Arthur, Mark Ellis, and got to see many local buddies out there tearing it up as well. About 90-95% of the cards out there very appreciative of us spotters, and many made a point to be really thankful about it.

Today got to warm up with Dave some and talked Lat64 discs, being that we are teammates basically. He really is a good guy, at least from my experiences. He is a lil out there, talks to himself constantly on the course, like a color commentary style. Sat and chatted with Jay Reading for about 30 minutes while waiting for Des to finish on 18, great dude. Hilarious. Saw Paige crush a drive off 17 that easy hit the 550' mark, set her up for a birdie 3.

Nikko didn't stick around long after his rounds, he's up and down a lot. Saturday he was circa 2010 Nikko, worked Dave a hole away by yelling after missing a putt.Was seen stomping around, and even hitting himself in the head, and lots of cursing. a big difference from the other team members, such as Will, Ricky, and Uli. Will and Ricky are amazing stand up guys. Got autographs by everyone, all very happy to do it. I had an absolute blast, and am very bummed I have to work Sunday and I can't be out there again.

Wow, sound like a great experience man. It is great to hear and share these stories. I think it is great trying to put DGLO back to it's former luster. Volunteers are what makes tournaments great for player, and that brings them back. Of course a course like Toboggan doesn't hurt either. :thmbup:

I spotted Hole 8 Friday and Hole 12 Saturday.
perhaps the most scenic holes on the course, and probably the two where spotters are most necessary.

About 90-95% of the cards out there very appreciative of us spotters, and many made a point to be really thankful about it.
^this! At least one person on every card thanked me for spotting.

spotter on this course are a must and you guys that volunteer for these events make it so much better for the players. I;ve played the am nats twice and I always thank every spotter on every hole, every round. players are already dealing with a brutal course, usually bad weather, and having to search for discs would be a nightmare. a pre-thanks to all of who will be there next weekend :)

I'm thinking of heading to Kensington In a bit to watch, hoping for good weather

I think it's safe to say Ricky will not be breaking 50 today due to the bad leg, but I do think he'll have enough to hold off GG and the others

Crazy not to be watching live scoring if you're not there. Epic battle in Women's, Hokom for the win. Apparently Wysocki 2's the first hole, to jump to an 8 stroke lead!

Nikko has been in contact with the TD, I'm hoping he signs up. My money is on Sockibomb to scorch the course and get revenge when he lost to Wiggins a couple years ago at USADGC.

^ You heard it here first.
Guthrie's and Schusterick's best rounds (53) were only as good as Ricky's worst round. Winning by by 9 strokes is pretty dominant. He really distanced himself from the other big names - look at how the scores bunch up in the mid to upper 160, and he's all by himself with that 154.
Unofficial Results

McBeth was nothing if not consistent: three rounds of 55 each to finish 5th.

What a great time. I spotted 8 today if you've played Toboggan you know what it is, if you haven't, it's about 460, you basically have to throw a huge hyzer shot 90 degrees over and around trees blind. So they were booming shots probably 80 to a hundred feet around the trees right over our heads and turning them into to hole. It was a pretty amazing site to see. Then once the lead group came though I followed them in.....I don't know why some people don't like spotting..you can't get any closer to the action

Afterwards I got nearly the whole Prodigy team,everyone that was there that I could find, to sign my M3, some NICE 10th buzzes and a saweet M3 to replace the signed one for the bag. Not to mention a stack of discraft stuff for spotting. Even without the plastic though it would have been worth it. It was awesome..

I only wish I would have brought more cash because I had no idea the players sold stuff like that..I would have been in trouble if I had and I would have been selling off stuff to cover it but it would've been worth it lol

^ I recommend wearing water resistant footwear - it was nice today, but supposed to rain again tonght. Walking through long grass is pretty much a guaranteed if you're gonna be walking around the course (I hate walking in damp socks). Wouldn't hurt to bring a couple of umbrella's - you can always leave'em in the car if it's nice, but yesterday the rain was off and on.

Also: bring water - and enjoy!

If you're looking for decent food while you're here with the Mrs., check out: Milford House (5.5 miles from the Toboggan course), or Baker's of Milford (literally right across the street from the north entrance of the park) for food + some classic cars (people show their cars every Sunday).

This information was very helpful, and we ended up at The Milford House for dinner.

Overall, it was a great day for disc golf. There were some amazing shots, times when you realize they're human like the rest of us, and even a minor meltdown. It was definitely worth the trip and my wife enjoyed the day as well. I'm thinking a trip to Crown Point, IN for Worlds is in my future.

Regarding the meltdown: I won't name them specifically, but after failing to get out of the woods on 16, and then missing the par save, they began dropping the "F" bomb many times, I should say yelling it. After making their bogey putt, they drop-kicked their putter OUT of the basket. I was laughing to myself on the inside, but like everyone else in the gallery, I stared in an awkward, absolute silence. It was great.

For an outburst like the one that I heard from my position on hole # 6, I think the player should have gotten disqualified. This wasn't merely a few F bombs, but a tirade of cursing. This is not how a player should conduct themselves at ANY tournament.

Regarding the meltdown: I won't name them specifically, but after failing to get out of the woods on 16, and then missing the par save, they began dropping the "F" bomb many times, I should say yelling it. After making their bogey putt, they drop-kicked their putter OUT of the basket. I was laughing to myself on the inside, but like everyone else in the gallery, I stared in an awkward, absolute silence. It was great.
Who doesn't love when crazy things happen in sports?! :D It's probably really exciting that this happened at a family-friendly PDGA National Tournament. Things like this should happen more often so that we all have more to talk about in the world of disc golf. We are trying to grow the sport, afterall. No reason for this to be considered out of the ordinary. I just hope someone recorded it so that we can laugh when it makes the bloopers of the 2013 PDGA National Tour DVD!

Highlight of the weekend...

Unfortunately, only a few people saw this, but Double G's drive on #3 on Saturday was jaw-dropping, to say the least. He crushed his drive at least 850 down the fairway and landed it up on the hill top of the hill near the basket. Sorry that it's a low-quality video from my phone, but it's better than nothing.

http://youtu.be/sPn9aoLSbEs

Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video.

Latest posts