• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Tracker... least popular disc ever?

Trackers aren't bad, but hard to replace good ones so getting backups would be annoying :(

My first driver was a Tracker and I fell in love with it. I still have it in my bag. I have the Z plastic and it is still dead straight tunnel shot with a hard fade, great FH disc swell. The Tracker should get way more love.

I have thrown several trackers, z and esp, and find them to be a great disc. I enjoyed pairing it with my stalker. I think one reason it may not be as popular as other dc discs is bc I have read they were inconsistant from run to run. My ESP was flatter than my Zs and a bit less glide, but over all had the same flight path (a straighter predator). Only reason I stopped throwing my trackers is bc my flx avenger covered that slot. I still take them out for field work bc they are fun to throw.
The Player's Cup and earlier X Tracker I had both flew more like Eagle-L's than any sort of Predator. "Longer Buzzz" was the original description before the Stalker came out. I've heard the Pred. Jr. description used a lot, though. I think it's a disc that never really found its niche. It's like a good (but not great) TV show that got cancelled because the network kept changing its time slot.

My Z Tracker is a longer Buzzz, but it took some beating to get it there. When new, they are fairly overstable. I have a fresh one that I am about to start carrying due to what has happened to my original.

So why does this disc get no love? Am I the only one who'll be bagging the Tracker this season?

Some do love it, but it's been overshadowed by the Stalker (easier for newer players to throw straight) and Innova's fairway stuff like the Teebird and Eagle. I'd say it's comparable to a fresh Eagle - maybe even more glide, that is one thing I was impressed with when I threw it for a bit. Too many molds I guess - and it's older and not really being pushed by Discraft anymore.

I think the PDGA specs may be wrong ... at least I recall a bigger rim than 1.3 on the Tracker

I don't see how the Tracker with it's 1.3 wing can compete distancewise with the Teebird or XL with their 1.7cm wings or the 1.9-2.0 wings of the MVP fairways.

I still carry my first disc (Tracker) that I use for thumbers/tomahawks. It's probably from '97 or '98. It flies a nice controlled overhand line and then tacos when it hits the ground(or a tree). I bend it back into shape and it's ready for more abuse.

Last edited:
You thinking of the Tracer? The Tracker didn't come out until 2005.

I still carry my first disc (Tracker) that I use for thumbers/tomahawks. It's probably from '97 or '98. It flies a nice controlled overhand line and then tacos when it hits the ground(or a tree). I bend it back into shape and it's ready for more abuse.

I got a flat z tracker, it's a wonderful disc for sure. Finding flat overstable ones is a tough task. If they aren't flat wind destroys them.

I actually like the Tracker. It may not be special, and there are many discs like it. Some people prefer the Teebird, Eagle, FL, Rival, Shock, or the XS for that type of slot, but it is my preferred stable / barely OS slow driver. Its hard to beat the hype of some other molds, even though they all fly great.

An Elite-Z Tracker is the only Discraft disc in my entire bag of 20 discs. For times when the Trident is too OS, and the FD Jackal is too US, I pull out the Tracker.

Do any of the MVP drivers compare to the Tracker? I haven't thrown the Volt or the Shock, but from what I've read it seems like it might fall right between those two...?

Totally personal experience here:

I find the Tracker to be right in between the Shock and the Volt in terms of stability and speed. The Shock seems a touch faster and more OS, while the Volt is a tad slower and more US than the Tracker.

Tracker is a mainstay in my Discraft bag. It is just about the closest thing to a Champ Teebird in Discraft I've ever thrown.

By the way, Sarah Hokom uses trackers.

Since you mentioned that, I went and found that "In the Bag" that the CCDG guys did with Hokom earlier this year. Starting at the 3:10 mark in this vid you can see her throwing some absolute lasers with her Trackers. Pretty sweet...

In my opinion, the volt compares to both an ESP tracker and a star Teebird, but way more glide and IMO more versatile

I would say the shock is closer to a teebird. The Volt has some considerable turn to it when thrown hard and always fades back, where the shock is flying straight with no turn for most of the flight then a healthy fade at the end (more like a longer teebird imo)

but the shock starts off a little beefy till you get used to it.. its a True 0 HSS disc though, even into moderate headwinds it doesn't turn. the Fade at the end is around a 2.5 or 3 on the innova scale..

a beat shock is going to be an amazing disc, i know that for sure.. if anything just buy one and use it as a roller/thumber for a few weeks. and BAM, best teebird you will ever own.

If I could carry only one driver, It'd be the tracker. Backhand, forehand, overhand, grenade, etc. It does it all, and does it all consistently.

Latest posts