• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Understable Mid-Ranges (Meteor, Comet, Buzzz SS, etc...)

TheSecondZ

Bogey Member
As a lefty that's still working on adding a forehand, it's really important for me to have a good understable mid-range for backhands when playing the holes that are mostly designed for right-handers. For reference below, my drives go about 360-375 feet, but I'm working to increase it to 400.

I currently have a Z Archer (rated -4 turn), which I have to throw no more than 80% power and on a hyzer in order to have it flip up onto a nice anhyzer line. If I release it flat or too hard, it just turns and burns. I'd prefer something that I can release flatter or with varying amounts of power and still have it turn anhyzer, but not turn too quickly or go into a roller. Also, I know that people beat in and cycle more overstable molds in soft plastics to various stages of stability, but I'd prefer to stick to a more durable plastic (like Z, Titanium, etc...) so that I don't constantly have to buy new discs or adjust to changing flight characteristics. It also would make it easier to replace a disc I like if I happen to lose it.

Among Discraft obvious choice seems to be a Meteor, but I'm also curious about other options like the Comet, Buzzz SS, Sol, Stratus. Has anyone tried out multiples of these and have input on them? I'm also open to Innova, but it seems like they have fewer understable options despite having so many molds.

I've got a first run Z Sol. Feels super nice. It is a little touchy for me. Throw it too soft and it has a surprising amount of fade. Throw it too hard and it will take off to the right. If you get it right, it does some super nice things, though.

I've got an X Stratus. Unique feel. Really shallow. I can do a lot of things with this disc, but one thing I can't do is throw it flat. I can't imagine anyone who turns and burns anything not having trouble with this disc.

I don't really intentionally throw either of these discs flat.

I could not throw the Comet hard at all, and ended up selling it. The Stratus, however, works much better for me in the Discraft line. I have an X Stratus. I just bought a new DD Bounty that has at least temporarily replaced the Stratus,

The Stratus on a 50% power, level throw will go straight for 50' and start to turn gently. It will keep turning and land flat, maybe 200' away after fading 30' to the side. Harder than a 50% throw, use just a little hyzer and it will flip up and still ride that gentle turn. I can't throw the Stratus 'hard'. It's a 275' max for me, and it doesn't really fade back much at all.

The Bounty, however will take much more power (with more hyzer) and will also fade back just a hair.

The Stratus/Archer thing is weird. The Stratus is an old mold that they couldn't get to mold up in legal weights in Z and ESP plastic. The Archer was an attempt to make a Stratus replacement that could be run in Z and ESP. I thought the Archer was a tick more stable than the Stratus, so if the Archer is too flippy I don't think the Status is what you are looking for.

The Stratus/Archer thing is weird. The Stratus is an old mold that they couldn't get to mold up in legal weights in Z and ESP plastic. The Archer was an attempt to make a Stratus replacement that could be run in Z and ESP. I thought the Archer was a tick more stable than the Stratus, so if the Archer is too flippy I don't think the Status is what you are looking for.

That is exactly what I was going to say all about the newer Archer that is currently in my bag for backhand rollers, and some right shots where the disc just needs to slowly drift right as I lack a forehand shot, not the hard right that I take my DX Dragon and overpower the disc, easy to do due to disc being ~150 grams.

ESP Meteor would be good start for you. Buzzz SS is going to want more power, the Meteor can take power (with good form) but can be finessed with less as well. They're both excellent molds.

I've got a first run Z Sol. Feels super nice. It is a little touchy for me. Throw it too soft and it has a surprising amount of fade. Throw it too hard and it will take off to the right. If you get it right, it does some super nice things, though.

I've got an X Stratus. Unique feel. Really shallow. I can do a lot of things with this disc, but one thing I can't do is throw it flat. I can't imagine anyone who turns and burns anything not having trouble with this disc.

I don't really intentionally throw either of these discs flat.

Do you have to start both the Sol and Stratus out hyzer, before it flips up to flat and then goes anhyzer? I'm wondering if maybe I'll just have to instead get something neutral and throw it on an anhyzer, instead of throwing it flat and having it turn.

Do you have to start both the Sol and Stratus out hyzer, before it flips up to flat and then goes anhyzer? I'm wondering if maybe I'll just have to instead get something neutral and throw it on an anhyzer, instead of throwing it flat and having it turn.

I don't really have a problem turning and burning them, but I have to throw them on hyzer to get them to go straight and give me a late turn. I don't throw very many big turnovers.

I don't really have a problem turning and burning them, but I have to throw them on hyzer to get them to go straight and give me a late turn. I don't throw very many big turnovers.

If the Archer turns and burns for me sometimes, could this just be due to the disc characteristics or overpowering it? I know most people would say it's due to turning over my wrist, but I really don't think I do this, especially considering my ultimate background where the vast majority of throws are perfectly flat or slightly hyzer.

The Archer has been good for teaching me to be cognizant of the power I put on the disc though.

ESP Meteor would be good start for you. Buzzz SS is going to want more power, the Meteor can take power (with good form) but can be finessed with less as well. They're both excellent molds.

So it sounds like the Meteor would be good for turnover shots at lower and higher speeds? Does ESP plastic break in too quickly though? Would Z Meteors be better maybe?

So it sounds like the Meteor would be good for turnover shots at lower and higher speeds? Does ESP plastic break in too quickly though? Would Z Meteors be better maybe?

I mean, I am still throwing a First Run ESP Meteor. The Zs are fine too, perhaps a half point more LSS @ max weight. If you want a disc released from hyzer to stand up and turn (pending power), it'll be hard to beat a Meteor. If you want to release it with turn and have it hold that line, Buzzz SS is a better fit.

Does X Buzz beat in a lot though? I'd just want to avoid having a new X Buzz and used X Buzz flying very differently.

it does at first then it stops

ive never had an x beat in to unpredictable flippy even after years of abuse

it will get some turn and keep a tiny fade

still very controllable

Awesome, these are exactly the answers I was looking for. Sounds like I should look for either Esp/Z Meteor, Buzzz SS, or a beat in X Buzzz.

I picked up a max weight Buzzz SS at the end of 2019. It's flight was basically indistinguishable from a Z Buzzz when I first got it. It took about eight months of regular use to break it in to where I can throw it on slight hyzer, have it flip up to flat and maybe keep turning to the right a bit depending on how much power I give it.

After a year, it's finally right where I want it. You may or may not have that patience.

So do you prefer beadless or beaded mids? Beaded, you can't beat a flat ESP/X Comet for the release it flat and have it turn shot. Beadless go with a mid 170s ESP Meteor. Buzzz SS is also a good option but is more power hungry. Sol is a slower mid and is similar stabilty to a Meteor.

So do you prefer beadless or beaded mids? Beaded, you can't beat a flat ESP/X Comet for the release it flat and have it turn shot. Beadless go with a mid 170s ESP Meteor. Buzzz SS is also a good option but is more power hungry. Sol is a slower mid and is similar stabilty to a Meteor.

Honestly, I'm not yet sure which I prefer. Maybe it's just because I'm a noob and have only been playing 2 months. I have a beadless Star Shark as my straight mid and a beaded Champion Roc3 as my slightly overstable mid, and they both feel good in my hand. It certainly leaves me more options though.

I do like the idea of being able to just release the Comet flat and have it turn, instead of having to start it hyzer, then flip up and turn. It sounds like maybe the Buzzz SS requires too much speed to turn reliably, and the Sol/Archer/Stratus can't handle more than a certain amount of power. Seems like the Meteor and Comet are best for being able to have a small reliable turn at varying power levels.

I find the beadless options to be too touchy for this slot. They don't have much margin for error.

A fresh X Comet will give you exactly what you're looking for, and it will be much more forgiving to slight misses (especially with nose angle). Over time it will beat in tk be very understable. A fresh Z will start off a little more stable than what you're looking for, but it will beat in to the perfect disc. If you get along with the Comet's grip, of course.