• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for kids

Chef Fini

Par Member
Hey everyone. Been out of the game for a couple years but coming back this season. My daughter is 8 now and wants to start playing with me. Since I've been away for so long I was wondering what the go to discs for kids are now. Something that will work well for small hands.TIA

I've found that kids are generally good with using 1 disc until they start to figure things out. When I have taught classes, I'll buy factory seconds to build them a small starter set, though, which consists of something similar to an Aviar, Shark / Roc / Truth, and a Leopard. What I've found is that until they start getting a feel for the mechanics of driving, approaching, and putting down, most of them would be best suited just throwing a mid for everything. A neutral mid is a great starting place, because you can see when they start to get the right shot shape and distance.

There are mini versions of some discs (like the mini Buzzzz) which are larger than the usual mini used as a marker and sometimes referred to as "mini throwers". There are also very lightweight discs, 150 grams and below - the trouble is finding them.

Throwing minis: (out of stock here...but it gives you an idea of what is available and you might find them elsewhere)
https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Large-Throwing-Minis

LightWeight: (again, out of stock, but the discs are 145-159 grams)
https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Package-Sets/12235/DD-Easy-To-Throw-Starter-Set

Infinite is making a line of cool looking dinosaurs theme discs aimed at a kids market. My daughter picked out a Swan reborn when she was bout 6 and mainly threw that for years. Seemed to fit well in small hands and doesn't really fade much even at low speeds.

Innova makes a cool disc for very little hands: the Atom, I believe. But 8 might be ready for something larger?

Hey everyone. Been out of the game for a couple years but coming back this season. My daughter is 8 now and wants to start playing with me. Since I've been away for so long I was wondering what the go to discs for kids are now. Something that will work well for small hands.TIA

Infinite is making a line of cool looking dinosaurs theme discs aimed at a kids market. My daughter picked out a Swan reborn when she was bout 6 and mainly threw that for years. Seemed to fit well in small hands and doesn't really fade much even at low speeds.

I bought one of those Dino Discs Stegosaurus for my 5 (now 6) year old son off of Infinite. It's like 125 grams. Little man chucks it an easy 125' from a standstill. It's a perfect disc.

Also scored a 113g polecat and a 138 stingray too. Both worked pretty good as well. But that Stegosaurus was gold for him. And it has a dinosaur, which is cool.

Seriously use the junior discs others have recommended. Dynamic has a line of them and so does Discraft. If you want her to emulate proper grip from the beginning, so she already has proper grip handled when she has big enough hands to move on to bigger discs.

The Junior Sheriff from what I hear has pretty damn good stability so it should hold up for her to teach driver flight.

I'd recommend the superlight discs -- as others have referenced -- being a bigger deal than grip, or even model, to begin with. The kid next door began with a bunch of discs in the 119-130g ranch (plus a 105g, lightest I've seen). He's 13 now and can throw regular discs a lot further than I can, but those were the keys at the beginning.

discgolfcenter.com has been my go-to when searching for the ultra lightweight discs. I bought each of my girls a set of 3. 112g Leopard, 130g Manta, and a 121g Birdie.

Throwing the 112g Leopard is just nuts. It's literally like throwing a paper plate.

Mirage is the best real disc I have found that kids can get their hands around, even grip correctly, and get a good flight out of. I got them some 150ish DX ones but they actually seem to do better with 170 star. Also, mirages are awesome.

Take a look at the new Cheengz mid on infinite as well! They have them sub 100g!

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Life things. Thanks so much for taking the time out to respond here. There seems to be alot more options now than there was when my son was younger.

My 6 and 10 year old sons have been throwing lasers with the Discraft Sol.

It's a great disc for youth.