• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discspeed why does CDGC not respect cyclists?

I doubt Mike could answer for them, why don't you call the number at the end of the video, Frank, and find out for yourself?

That guy from CWDG was a fuckin dick imo. Where im from cyclists and dg'ers are for the most part a very close bunch, this wouldnt happen in my town

Can't believe this is my first post here. Heh. Love the site. Use the course reviews all the time. Was here that I learned about Flyboy outside of Atl which is now on my bucket list of courses to play.

Anyway, I lurk a lot though I could have sworn I posted here looking for help about a year and a half ago when I started building my own basket for a friend as a birthday present.

Anyway, wanted to share this. This is starting to blow up some, certainly around here. I've always been proud of the fact that we have some of the best courses around where I live and we're even luckier to have Ken Climo in the area pumping things up. I shop at his store a lot - in fact while I have less than 2 dozen discs all but I think 3 of them came from his store.

This was posted yesterday to youtube - a video of one of his company vans really coming way too close to a bicycle rider. The guy riding the bike seemed pretty cool about it when he caught up to the van and just tried to remind him to give bike riders a bit more room on the road when the guy started being kind of a jerk about it. The driver was telling him to get off the road, etc. Even the vans passenger was trying to tell the driver to ease up a bit.

Even that wasn't all that bad. This morning when I saw the video I tossed a small post on the companies Facebook page making sure they knew about it and that maybe they should educate the guy driving the van, etc.

They responded to that saying the guy on the bike deliberately swerved into the path of the van just to antagonize the driver! I couldn't believe they would put that kind of public face on arguably one of the largest Disc Golf sponsors in the area, if not the whole region. I mean, Ken Climo is damn near the face of the sport! Certainly was the first name I came to recognize as I started playing more.

Even worse they then started deleting every single persons post on their page. The overwhelming majority of them were pretty calm and level headed, just asking for an apology and that the van driver learn to take it easy.

As this spreads around the internet, I hate seeing that this is the introduction to Disc Golf that a lot of people are going to be getting. It's just not cool. Generally speaking we are often one of the loudest voices for keeping areas open and green - it's those areas that make the perfect course. I just think we can do better.

What do you think?

Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/LoHO_e40Ick

Here is their response on FB which they have since deleted when they removed everyone elses comments:

Clearwater Disc Golf Store wrote: "It seems around here we have a lot of aggressive bicyclists with helmet cams that go out and try to antagonize drivers. We talked to the police about it and it seems its an ongoing issue. Too bad they want to take it out on a struggling mom-n-pop local business.
If you have an issue take it to the local police. Don`t slander hard working people on a public forum. I promise I won`t try to move my bike in front of your car and film it and blame it on you.
I have a teenager who rides his bike around here too, all the time. 3 feet is the rule and everyone I know tries there best to abide by it.
Now if you want to hate on us there isn`t much we can do about it.

To be perfectly clear - I'm not on a witch hunt. I'm not running around with a torch yelling for them to get shut down or anything. I just think it's bizarre how it's being handled and I think it makes the whole sport look bad and I wish they'd just apologize, move on and none of this would have happened.

Bingo said:
Can't believe this is my first post here. Heh. Love the site. Use the course reviews all the time.
Since when do we have course reviews?

It's really sad to see this is how they respond to it. Even worse they are going through deleting every comment about it on their FB page and off their website.

This whole thing would be a non-issue if they had just apologized. It would have totally gone away.

Instead they have threads like this popping up. Damn shame. Safe to say I won't spend my money there anymore.

What's up with the part about motorists complaining to the cops about bikers being aggressive?

If its a non issue dont talk about it

This does nothing good or bad for disc golf. It won't matter. In 1 month you won't be talking about this. No one will

Did they approach it wrong? Yeah. Mom and pop stores don't really have a PR dept

Talk about the good in disc golf. Don't dwell on this. We are the ones feeding this, it shouldn't be that way

Blah, I'd have told that guy (cyclist) to just fuck off instantly, find a road with a bike lane or live with the risk of death

zj1002 said:
If its a non issue dont talk about it

This does nothing good or bad for disc golf. It won't matter. In 1 month you won't be talking about this. No one will

Did they approach it wrong? Yeah. Mom and pop stores don't really have a PR dept

Talk about the good in disc golf. Don't dwell on this. We are the ones feeding this, it shouldn't be that way

</THREAD>

ZJ, i mostly agree with you, but lets say this was something that involved DN, maybe not involving you personally but another employee. How would you personally handle that? Both internally and PR wise on the forums and such.

Kinda surprised that scott (the driver) handled it as well as he did. Ive seen this guy blow up on and off the course.

You say that as if he had a reason to be upset in the first place..
That guy can suck a dick, still have respect for discspeed, but cwdg has been "unliked" on my fb

Latest posts