• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discspeed why does CDGC not respect cyclists?

veganray said:
This thread makes me hate cyclists AND disc golfers

and internet users.
I'm all three and hate myself after reading this. On the cycling side of the fence, a lot of them wear cameras because of this sort of crap. If the biker were left laying in a ditch with both legs broken there is a good enough change the driver just keeps on going and he is left with nothing but a wrecked bike and life. With a camera someone can be held accountable.

The one thing I want to add...

I've spoken with the cyclist in the video and poked around some as well. He has a cycling blog and posts a fair amount of videos and pictures from all his trips.

So I feel pretty comfortable saying that this was NOT a setup sort of deal. A lot of people have wondered that and I did as well. If maybe he kept a helmet cam just to catch people so he could use that as a springboard for making a statement out of it. I don't think so. Certainly I'm sure it's come in handy as others have also suggested. That it's great to have if something DOES happen but I think the main focus is just to catch something that would be worth putting on a blog - be that a cool sighting, some interesting bit of trail or yes in this case something bad happening.

Jesse B 707 said:
Blah, I'd have told that guy (cyclist) to just fuck off instantly, find a road with a bike lane or live with the risk of death
You are naive and completely off base here. It is legal to bike on roads that are not freeways, the law says that drivers must share the road with bicycles. No cyclist is trying to swerve in front of cars. There are not paths and trails everywhere that go where you need them to go. Some people commute by bike, trails and paths are not always an option. Commuters generally don't have cars and the bike is there only source of commuting, more power to these people. In Minneapolis a large part of the population commutes by bicycle and drivers here are learning to tolerate it, I like to think people here are smarter and more progressive then other parts of the country. Drivers need to chill out and respect cyclists, they only hold up drivers for a very short time before being passed. The guy in the Van was being a total dick for no good reason. Just think if you were just trying to bike to work and some asshole was trying to run you off the road.

Nick M said:
I like to think people here are smarter and more progressive then other parts of the country.
:lol: I think that by even responding to my post you may have proven yourself wrong here.

Yeah, certainly will not buy from Clearwater again. I have been annoyed with cyclists in the past, but not for anything this guy was doing. I'm not sure its a fight I personally would have chosen, but I do not think the cyclist was off base for reminding the driver to give cyclists more space. I also think he tried to do it in a respectful manner. The driver was a complete jerk, and the companies response was absolutely ridiculous.

bergdawg said:
Why can't cyclists move onto the grass when cars are coming?

Fucking spandex wearing, health conscious, sons a bitches.

TOURNEYPLAYER said:
maybe because the way cyclists have responded. as if they are innocent in all this.

A cyclist who runs stop signs, stoplights, or does other dangerous stuff deserves whatever they get.

A bicyclist who obeys the rules of the road, does not.

Can't you understand both these points?

Also, bicycles have to respect pedestrians. Bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks. I sometimes give them hell when I see them riding up the sidewalk toward me, or I will purposely walk on a part of the sidewalk that forces them to swerve off the sidewalk. Those assholes deserve whatever they get. I've been hit by bicycles, as a pedestrian. For example, a road had a stop sign and crosswalk so people coming out of a building could cross over to a parking garage. The stop sign was necessary because the road was a hill coming around a curve, and people tended to come down too fast. A big truck had just pulled up to the stop sign from the left (going downhill), and I was crossing the street in front of it. A stupid bicyclist coming from behind the truck decided to pass it on the left side and blow the stop sign. I had a split second to react, I lowered my left shoulder, pounced from my legs, and drove my left shoulder right into his center of mass. The bicyclist went somersaulting down the road, as I chased after yelling and screaming and cussing and telling him I was going to kick his ass all the way down the road.

Here in Santa Cruz we've had many bicycle deaths. Some of them are the fault of the bicyclists. Some of them are the fault of the motorists. That's just the way it goes with accidents of any kind. The asymmetry between bikes and cars is simply the fact that the bicyclist is always the one who ends up dead. It's kind of like the bankers on Wall St vs ordinary citizens (heads, they win...tails, you lose); either way it's the bicyclist's life that is on the line.

Just down my street (=highway 1) a guy was riding a bicycle without brakes, a gravel truck passed him up and then turned right and the next intersection, and you can imagine what happened after that. But there are 2 parallel bike routes to highway 1, just 20 seconds ride in either direction, and numerous signs to direct bike traffic to these very nice quiet neighborhood streets, and off the busiest road in town (which doesn't have a bike lane, anywhere).

On the other hand, at least 2 bicyclists were killed here in the past year while riding down the bike lane on quiet roads...cars swerved into the bike lane in both cases, hitting the bicyclists from behind. In one case, which happened in the late evening, the bicyclist was incapacitated by the collision but still alive and treatable if taken to the hospital...yet the drunk driver who hit him took off and left him to bleed slowly to death in agony overnight...no other motorists could see him in the dark grass just off the side of the road. When they found the car the next day, the guy tried to claim he had hit a deer, but screwed up his story...later the newspaper reported that the hit-and-run driver was a disc golfer. In another case, also a hit-and-run, the car mowed down a bicyclist in the bike lane and never slowed or stopped or anything. The police caught them later, the car was covered in blood.

A very awesome young colleague of mine was run down by a teenage girl driving Dad's Mercedes, while riding in an ostensibly safe bicycle lane in Florida.

I used to ride motorcycles a great deal, and I love to ride. But car and truck drivers don't really watch out for motorcyclists, or bicyclists. They only watch for other cars and trucks. You have to have eyes on the back of your head to survive. And how many times have you seen some asshole tailgating a motorcycle? One mistake, and the motorcyclist is toast. The advantage that most motorcycles have over bicycles is that they are faster, and can accelerate more rapidly, than any car on the road. As such, they can get out of trouble as much by accelerating, as by braking. Bicycles are sitting ducks.

I'm a pragmatist when it comes to risking my life. As such, I understand that I live in a world where drivers are the way they are, they are not the way I'd like them to be. This is enough to keep my bicycle off the road. This is enough for my wife to keep me away from motorcycles.

In my humble opinion, drivers in the US are terrible, they are very poorly trained, and many fatal accidents occur because they reacted to something in the wrong manner. Gov'ts refuse to require more driver education because our entire transportation infrastructure is based upon on cars, trucks, and cheap gas. Drivers in many other countries have to pay thousands of dollars, and go to special schools, before they are able to earn their license, but those countries also have fantastic transportation alternatives. People who want to ride bicycles in the midst of this setting are fighting a steep uphill battle.

Doesn't the cycler say that the law is to give 3 feet of room? The video makes it look like he has 3 feet of room, so he really has nothing to cry about.

Parks said:
Doesn't the cycler say that the law is to give 3 feet of room? The video makes it look like he has 3 feet of room, so he really has nothing to cry about.

I just rewatched the vid and was thinking the same thing as I was skimming Jherns rant. he didnt even have to swerve or anything. he was able to keep riding the same way he was before he got passed.

TOURNEYPLAYER said:
Parks said:

I just rewatched the vid and was thinking the same thing as I was skimming Jherns rant. he didnt even have to swerve or anything. he was able to keep riding the same way he was before he got passed.

The van comes closer to hitting the car head on than the biker, either way reckless driving putting others in danger. The driver just needs to slow down and relax.

+2cents

I'm cool with sharing the road with cyclists as soon as they have to buy a license plate/become registered to be on said road like I do. Those roads are a privilege not a right in my opinion.

Passenger has a drinking problem. Pretty clear video evidence...

The only thing more lame than this spandex warrior riding around with a camera on his head to go harass drivers who left 2 3/4' of room instead of 3' is the fact that we are actually taking time to talk about it. It's a non-issue.....really, who gives a shit?

Jesse B 707 said:
It's a non-issue.....really, who gives a shit?

Why support assholes when you have other resonable alternatives?

Jesse probably wouldn't let a single play through his foursome $2 round either. :roll:

7ontheline said:
Jesse B 707 said:
It's a non-issue.....really, who gives a shit?

Why support assholes when you have other resonable alternatives?

Jesse probably wouldn't let a single play through his foursome $2 round either. :roll:
Fuck no, I also throw at old ladies for fun, litter on the course and smoke meth right in front of park patrons. Honestly, I just think that the cyclist and the Clearwater guy both acted equally douchey here, their actions should just cancel each other out and none of us should care.

Dig It said:
+2cents

I'm cool with sharing the road with cyclists as soon as they have to buy a license plate/become registered to be on said road like I do. Those roads are a privilege not a right in my opinion.
Every bike rider I know has a licensed car or two. This argument is lame and assumes that bicyclists do not pay taxes or vehicle registration. Do you currently not share the road with them?