• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Distance driver suggestions for girl

cander49

Need to pick up a new distance driver for my fiancee... She wants something that almost never turns over, fades predictably, but not too hard, given that she's not the most powerful player. I realize she could probably correct her form and play the Wraith or Krait better, but I'm interested in getting something that she'll be able to enjoy without having to put too much work in it, basically just for occasional play with me, so it's not frustrating for her. She's played:

1. Standard plastic Wraith: was OK at first, but started turning over like crazy once she was throwing harder.

2. Blizzard Krait in 141 and 146: Both OK at first, but became turnover discs on her pretty rapidly.

3. G-star Boss. Bought this for her after really enjoying my own switch to a Blizzard boss. Should've bought Blizzard, but the shop only had regular and G-star in that day. Her disc fades hard really early and she can't get much distance without a strong anhyzer.

She plays almost exclusively forehand for drives, fwiw.

What would you guys suggest she tries next? Just go with a Blizzard boss like mine? I'm a decent player (not great) and it's worked super well for me, but I can throw a lot harder than her. Innova's website makes it sound like Daedalus could be good for her, but the reviews seem pretty bad. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

gender has nothing to do with a disc selection

how far is she throwing and with what?

Try a heavier 157-160 Blizzard Krait. I know in the Blizzards they are much more durable in the heavier weights.

Get her an Icon Legacy Rival (goes down to 166g)

Dont go above speed 7 till she can throw 300'

Well, I'll spare you the "practice with a putter to fix your form..." speech and just go with StarLite Valkyrie.

A light weight VIP Stag might also be good for her requirements.

gender has nothing to do with a disc selection

how far is she throwing and with what?

Well, I just figured that would matter for arm strength. The farthest I've seen her throw was probably about 250 with the Krait. I doubt she's thrown much past 200 with the G-star Boss. The course we usually play, University of Utah, has pretty short holes, with an average hole length of about 275 feet, and a max of maybe 350. In other words, 300+ foot drives aren't really necessary.

champ Valkyrie wouldn't be bad

We actually have one, but she doesn't like the hardness of the plastic. It seems like the rim is a little rough on her hand. Maybe a heavier blizzard valkyrie? That idea had crossed my mind.

One thing to keep in mind the faster the disc the bigger the fade will be in general. Slower discs are easier to throw but for FH won't handle OAT as well (disc flutter/common bad form). Practice would be better but some people just play, I think the Blizzard Krait at 250 FH would work OK. Preferable to stick to something like a Teebird really (speed 7). 160ish Star Teebird would be a good choice I think also.

Sounds like form has her turning over discs that are normally recommend for her power. Try something that has no HS turn (I was thinking Thunderbird in Gstar based on input so far).

We actually have one, but she doesn't like the hardness of the plastic. It seems like the rim is a little rough on her hand. Maybe a heavier blizzard valkyrie? That idea had crossed my mind.

Maybe the StarLite? Its basically a light weight blend like Blizzard, but instead of being based from the Champion plastic like Blizzard is, its based from the Star plastic. My GFs StarLite Valk feels exactly like Star plastic.

Maybe the StarLite? Its basically a light weight blend like Blizzard, but instead of being based from the Champion plastic like Blizzard is, its based from the Star plastic. My GFs StarLite Valk feels exactly like Star plastic.

Yeah, this seems like a great idea. The star plastic feels nice, but I think the full weight is just a bit much for her.

I agree with what others have said. Something that is stable to slightly overstable thats not warp speed will work best.

Something like a speed 7 Teebird, Eagle, or Rival around 170 could work well for a forehand dominant player.

Rivals and Patriots are easily my most used drivers. Both are fairway drivers and I can throw them almost as far as faster stuff. The only reasons I disc up are wind, more fade/ skip, and wide open bombs.

they are made in star and pro as well, I wouldn't go too light on a Valkyrie or it will get flippy quick, stay in the 165+ range. also I have seen gummy champ ones that are nice. a Valkyrie isn't too fast that it will dump hard but it is fast enough to get some good distance with lower speed

I played the U of Utah course this summer while visiting. I found a 158g Blizzard Krait quite handy on some of the holes once a local told me to "just go over those trees." Since she is new, she could be putting OAT on the disc, trying to pull fast and not snap. Nonetheless, the Krait should work and even be overkill. I suggest giving her an Eagle/XL/F3/Crave/etc.

Latest posts