• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Distance driver suggestions for girl

Crave, Servo, or Clash might work well. They start in the 150 class. Resistor in the 150's might also be an option for FH, it will fight out of OAT, but at that weight it won't recover from hardcore OAT. Something in the mid to high 160's or 170's will fight out of almost anything.

Yes I'm a MVP/Axiom fanboy

Starlight Valkyries are a little softer than champs

Last edited:
The Lace will turn and burn on a FH, especially at that weight

Teebird for BH and Daedalus for FH would be my pick. My Daedalus is one of 3 discs I use the most for drives. Westside King and Lat64 Fury are the other two. And I don't have a big arm, I just throw the King and Daedalus well FH, better than most of my other discs. I almost almost throw the King FH only and every now and then I throw BH with the Daedalus.

No disc is going to get more distance if she's flipping a 13 speed at 250'. As arm speed has increased, the bad form that was working to get a disc that fast out to 250' is now going to cause issues. I know you just want a disc to just work with it, but as she plays more and reinforces the form that is flipping high speed drivers, nothing will mask it after awhile.

Disc down to a Starlite Teebird, or a light Crave. It will suck for a couple weeks, but will be worth it. For smaller hands the Crave will be more comfortable with its shallower rim.

Get something like a mid-160's champion eagle or teebird. It's overstable enough to handle some OAT, and is slow enough to control. But these discs are more than capable of flying 300+ for a developing player. Anything faster or more overstable is going to mask poor form, as a few people mentioned earlier.

with a 250 ft arm... get her a discraft z xpress, innova champion leopard, or millennium quantum polaris ls. nothing bigger til she breaks 300 ft with one of these.

I've heard some rave reviews for the Diamond from a few ladies that play locally. Starlite Teebird might be a good choice as well...

It might sound silly, but this is just me.

When I started playing, I bought my first disc off of ebay based off of the cool design and internet reviews of the stats of the disc. A Star Starfire 171. I don't think most experienced players would recommend that to a beginner or weak arm but I learned how to throw it well and it's my go to disc to this day.

I started off with a Star Destroyer because I thought it sounded awesome.

I learned to throw it well enough to get a few hundred feet out of it, but my form was sooooo bad.. I remember picking up a Hornet shortly after and hating it because it would go roller if I put any power behind it... now THATs OAT!

I had to take a week or two off to rest a strain and when I went back, I played with only putters and mids for about a month. It was such a mess at first but I cleaned up my form pretty quickly. And then I had to re-learn to throw distance drivers...

I havent been playing for all that long and I'm not disappointed in where Im at, or the journey, but I cant help but think that, personally, I would have been better off starting with a leopard like everyone suggests. :)

There's a disc chic Facebook group, you could ask there. I don't throw sidearms off the tee, but I do have a ton of different discs she could try. I'm sure the other girls would be happy to help her if she's interested . I'd love to play a round with you two sometime, but I've been working too much lately.

I live in Orem, but travel north to play quite a bit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. AshleyH, thanks, I'll tell her to look up the group and join it. I'm sure she would enjoy playing with you sometime when you're in the area. We're grad students and everyone in our lab plays a lot, so there are a lot of random discs around here for her to play (including a Leopard and Valkyrie), but most of the ones that are general lab discs are basic plastic and so beat up that they don't fly anywhere near the way they're supposed to anymore. It seems like maybe she'll be best cleaning up her play with a Leopard, Teebird, Valkyrie, or something else in that fairway driver to light distance driver category. I saw Daedalus mentioned... Is that actually a good choice with the speed 13? I've never thrown one, personally, but they describe it as a great disc for people with less arm strength.

My wife being a collegiate softball pitcher at one time naturally chose rhfh as her easiest most comfortable throwing style. Setting aside the "slower speed until...." rule by all the bh'ers as fh is a different beast (not recomending this disc) my wife has found a star teerex to handle the torque of her fh form. She throws around 250'-300' and is also able to slow this disc down with a form adjustment for nice little midrange glide throws. She won't accept or even try another disc. I believe it's around 168 in weight. Good luck with the search!

for forehand, i start girls AND guys off with a champion banshee. i used to use z reapers for training people forehand. champion banshee is the next best thing. small rimmed, small diameter, fairway-level speed, low glide, neutral hss with a strong but not ridiculous fade. try one, give it a touch of anny, and see why i like these.

Valkyrie all day long.

In my opinion it's the best distance driver for anyone to use who is new to the game and needs a driver.

Just an update... I looked into quite a few discs and settled on getting her a Westside Stag. Dropping the speed to 8, getting a high glide, eliminating any turn, and keeping it stable seems to have worked well and she's enjoyed it thus far. Out of curiosity, I picked up a TL3 for myself and have really enjoyed the changes it's brought to my game. We're back in MN for Christmas and will try a new course or two here in the snow just for fun.

Latest posts