• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Tips 2014 Video Brainstorming

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm putting together a new distance video. Here are my notes I've made while preparing for the video.

See anything that I should add or remove? Something I should make sure to elaborate on? Anything that confuses you that you need clarified? Let me know!

1. Getting a good grip. Explain the power grip, explain placing index finger base joint above rim, show how to angle the wrist (handshake), demonstrate difference between nose-up and level with a side view and discuss air resistance, mention when to grip hard and when to stay loose.

2. Reach back / pull through. Discuss keeping the disc level and not reaching back too low or high, discuss straight pull through vs rounding body and mention wall drill, show the difference between the two clearly, mention how deep reach back is not always the best option for every throw but something more commonly seen in distance throws.

3. Late acceleration. Discuss pulling late, emphasize timing over raw power, right pec drill. Tie into next section by mentioning arms stay loose and fluid and are being driving by the lower body up until the hit.

4. Body Rotation. Discuss and emphasize overall order, i.e. hips leading shoulders, leading elbow, then wrist. Mention 1 step drill. Point out turning away from target and obtaining a deep reach back. Mention aiming with the body to develop long range consistency.

5. Footwork. Show good examples of a 3 step X step. Note the importance of the first two steps in setting up the thrower for full body rotation. Mention how taking too long of a stride prevents weight shift. Discuss the importance of moving slow and balanced throughout x-step. Mention kicking up with back leg to assist with weight shift and use this to lead into next section.

6. Weight Shift. Tie into x step section by going back over short, fluid steps over longer strides, and the kicking with the back leg through the hit. Discuss how weight forward helps achieve nose down. Mention how long strides prevent weight shift. One step drill.

7. Wrist Extension. Mention this is a fairly advanced technique one should practice only after the fundamentals are familiar. Discuss letting the wrist stay loose through the majority of the throw, then letting it open up at the hit. Mention the wrist stop that occurs after extension and before the follow through.

8. Disc selection. Go over how x speed disc requires roughly x distance to fully utilize. Discuss different stabilities, which work best for distance lines, and how wind plays into this decision. Discuss golf lines VS raw distance lines in terms of disc selection.

9. Choosing the line. Discuss how to pick the best distance line for a given shot in a variety of circumstances, e.g. wooded vs open, windy vs calm etc. Discuss how specific release angles and lines require tweaking the overall form, such as angling the shoulders to follow the hyzer release line on a hyzer flip.

10. Putting it all together. Show all techniques working together in unison. Solid grip, deep and level pull back, good body rotation with proper timing, late acceleration on the pull, proper x step, fluid weight shift, active wrist extension, choosing the right disc and picking the right line.

Maybe a section on storing energy (resistance and passive release)?

I am also most interested in the distance lines section.

Looks good... you should do it for FH too.

I plan to do three new instructional videos within a month from now, with FH distance being on the list. A new putting video will be the third.

Also considering a "Getting out of trouble" video, because I see a lot of players lacking in that area.

Mike feel free to PM me if you have questions about editing or editing software.

2. Reach back / pull through. Discuss keeping the disc level and not reaching back too low or high, discuss straight pull through vs rounding body and mention wall drill, show the difference between the two clearly, mention how deep reach back is not always the best option for every throw but something more commonly seen in distance throws.

I think it would be interesting to discuss the apex of the arc in there - and the dgr discussion about how a car has to make it through the turn with as much speed as it can without skidding off the road. That's something I notice very distinctly in your overhead shots - is that the disc moves into the chest quite slowly. All the speed in your hand comes after you've brought it in tight.

3. Late acceleration. Discuss pulling late, emphasize timing over raw power, right pec drill. Tie into next section by mentioning arms stay loose and fluid and are being driving by the lower body up until the hit.

If there's a practice exercise you could show for what later acceleration feels/looks, that would be sweet. Maybe the towel drill or similar.

4. Body Rotation. Discuss and emphasize overall order, i.e. hips leading shoulders, leading elbow, then wrist. Mention 1 step drill. Point out turning away from target and obtaining a deep reach back. Mention aiming with the body to develop long range consistency.

I think that how you setup your feet impacts this section so much because if you don't have your back foot right, you can't use it to open your hips. I also think that it would be nice to discuss your head position during the rotation.

5. Footwork. Show good examples of a 3 step X step. Note the importance of the first two steps in setting up the thrower for full body rotation. Mention how taking too long of a stride prevents weight shift. Discuss the importance of moving slow and balanced throughout x-step. Mention kicking up with back leg to assist with weight shift and use this to lead into next section.

I think you can show how your back foot initiates the hips opening, back knee dropping and how the plant foot is used to twist open the hips.

Backwards hockey shot hips.

6. Weight Shift. Tie into x step section by going back over short, fluid steps over longer strides, and the kicking with the back leg through the hit. Discuss how weight forward helps achieve nose down. Mention how long strides prevent weight shift. One step drill.

I think a visual explanation of bracing against your plant leg would be fantastic. The hips sliding forward - but against the plant leg - so that your weight is available for your core to unload.

7. Wrist Extension. Mention this is a fairly advanced technique one should practice only after the fundamentals are familiar. Discuss letting the wrist stay loose through the majority of the throw, then letting it open up at the hit. Mention the wrist stop that occurs after extension and before the follow through.

Where to aim to hold the disc onto until (3:00 on the clock face) and where the half hit, full hit stuff comes into play.

I really love the idea and I can't wait to watch it. I think it's really missing from all the existing youtube videos... and that's why beato's video has like 250k views!

I think if you can come up with drills that actually correlate directly with a real drive - that would be HUGE to see in action. Especially drills that you can do at throwing speed... doing them super slow is fine, but once you start trying to speed everything up - it's a different animal.

That Garret Guthrie video where he's showing how to open the hips is nice, but he's bending at the waist and up on his plant foot toes, which NOBODY does in real life and certainly not him. It's a good drill, but it doesn't really fit in a real throw.

some things i've realized are important as i watch pros throw, but haven't seen a video to properly explain them (they may be out there, i just haven't seen them...)

one thing is how hard to grip the disc. if you can include a visual way to represent how hard to grip a disc in the 'grip' section, that would be rad.

another element of grip is how far around to the back of the disc your hand should be as you draw it back at the beginning of the throw, to get the full rip and spin out of the throw. (hope that makes sense).

another would be how much, and how far forward away from your body, to flex your elbow as you throw.

hope those help.

For point 7, and going along with holding the disc for half hit/full hit like was said above, it may be important to point out that if you can't hold onto the disc this long because it's ripping out early (slips)...it's not your grip strength. It's a timing/body position issue. Just let people be aware that if something isn't right, there's a reason it isn't right and it has to be looked for...not just clamping down harder with the same timing.

Thanks for putting all of the time and effort in

z2894_bunny-thread-relevant-to-my-interests_zps8e8dd962.jpg

I would be very interested to see all this info compiled into one video.

Balance. Staying stacked. Not leaning back. Not falling forward. How to brace against your plant leg.

Show how to do it correctly and most common mistakes. Do this, do not do this type thing.

Also, takes someone and teach them in the video so we can see you explain corrections.

Can't Wait To See It Mike....I Have Been Stuck At The 270 - 300 Range For A While..Keep Up The Awesome Vids! :thmbup:

Thanks for doing this, Mike. I'm especially interested in learning as much as possible about wrist extension and snap. I've actually been asking about this on another thread and people are trying to be helpful but I'm thinking and hoping seeing it demonstrated on video will help. Some say wrist extension should be passive others say active. I hear of using the wrist as a spring rather than a hinge which is something I'm still not fully grasping. Anything you can show us wrist/snap related would be awesome.

Tell people that this is for a specific backhand technique based on the Blake T hit backwards to avoid the endless posts underneath - "but Dave Feldberg does this" "but this guy leaves his back foot planted" "but this guy does a somersault run up first and then flings it 2000' from a chicken wing shot" etc etc.

It might just cut down on some of the crap from people trying to criticise what promises to be a good vid.

I really like the idea of what not to do stuff - this is very helpful for those trying to learn by themselves and not realising that they are making a basic error. Your OAT video was great for this.

I would be tempted to go into the hit wrist extension mechanics in a separate video as there is a heck of a lot of info already to put into one - you have some very basic stuff there and then getting into the wrist extension is a lot more advanced. Unless you feel you have a fluid way of incorporating that with the rest it risks exposing people to too much info in one hit.

Expanding on the sekret technique drills and the Brad walker stuff would be great in a separate video (ie distance part 2 - once you've got the basics) . Neither of the above are that user friendly at the moment and I think one of your vids could make them so much more accessible to a wider audience rather than as they are at the moment just to the geeks amongst us that have read and digested everything for years and years.

Looking forward to it.

Latest posts