• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance with normal hyzer.

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I see all the pros constantly using hyzers where I use straight shots. I understand they're using hyzers because it's easier to range and place the shot coming in at an angle vs. straight ahead.

My problem is I can throw straight about 50 feet or more than I can hyzer. My max distance on open golf lines is about 350. 330 consistently. So, if I'm throwing on a hole that is 300 feet or more I have to throw it straight.

Is throwing hyzer for distance technique wise basically the same as any other throw? It just seems like I can never get much snap on hyzer throws the way I can straight or anny.

When the pros are throwing hyzer lines, they're also well short of their max distance.

Its not really powering down as much as its using the disc stability and release angle to hit the line/distance.

Shorter holes they might power down or up a disc given its speed but generally its the shot/disc they are using to control the d so they don't have to worry about that.

KC touches on this in a video or article somewhere about throwing most shots with full power but using discs and stability to control distance/lines.

When you're throwing out on a hyzer line, the disc goes a lot farther to get to it's destination than it would on a straight line. The path of the disc might be 350' but the disc only ends up 300' from you since some of that distance was vertical and some was side to side movement. Hyzers are easier to range and very consistent, so if you have the distance and the room to get to a hole with a hyzer it's often the best bet. That's why you'll see the top guys throwing them pretty much every chance they get.

Man, it's gotta be really boring to be a professional caliber player then...repeating the same mechanics over and over, consistently. Where's the fun in that? I mean, at my level, I have to come up with all sorts of creative techniques...touch pitch-outs to get back in the fairway, tomahawks and even chicken wings to get back out to the fairway, uncomfortable sidearm annies to get back out to the fairway...you can see where I'm going with this, can't you? :D

That's why a lot of us like to see them play courses like Maple Hill and Iron Hill where they have to hit gaps and shape different lines. The top guys are all very capable of doing that, you just don't see as many of those skills on the more open courses like at the Memorial.

Man, it's gotta be really boring to be a professional caliber player then...repeating the same mechanics over and over, consistently. Where's the fun in that? I mean, at my level, I have to come up with all sorts of creative techniques...touch pitch-outs to get back in the fairway, tomahawks and even chicken wings to get back out to the fairway, uncomfortable sidearm annies to get back out to the fairway...you can see where I'm going with this, can't you? :D

I've had this thought too. AND...we get more golf for our money.
So being an Am has its benefits. :D

I had a shot yesterday standing in a briar patch where I could not really turn back and had to hit a gap of about 6 feet wide 200 feet away. Uphill.

So, it Ricky Wysocki parks a 450 foot hole with a D1, what the heck is he using for a max distance driver?

I love watching the pros play hole 16 at Cliff Stephens...425 water carry, 450 to the pin. Double G throwing stupid stable glo champ firebird past the pin on a high hyzer line the whole way.

Keep in mind that a professional probably wants a 50 foot handicap on most holes since they can throw so far...