• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY Disc Golf Backpack

I never said I could get the same thing. I said I can get a bag that holds the same amount for the same price. And I can.

Where do you put the nine pack cooler in the fade bag??? My cooler fits in the top and I still have room to spare.

Thanks to everyone else for the praise.

My results:

So I bought the pack and I constructed my own!

Thanks a ton to steve_a for posting his original plans for the bag. He made it an easy project!

From the front:
frontfulls.jpg

From the side:
sidefull.jpg

From 1/4 of the way around and above:
cornerfull.jpg

The disc area up close!
bottomfront.jpg

bottomcorner.jpg

For the bag above I used only 1/2" PVC. I modified Steve's plans a bit to compensate:

2 - 7.5" long 1/2" pvc pipes
4 - 6.5" long 1/2" pvc pipes
4 - 4.25" long 1/2" pvc pipes
4 - 1/2" slip to 1/2" slip to 1/2" threaded corner pieces
4 - 1/2" threaded to 1/2" slip converter
4 - 1/2" 90 degree elbows

Here is what the PVC insert looks like without discs:
framez.jpg

Looks nice MopMan. I cut the waist belt off so that it is easier to get on and off often. How much did you spend making your own? I still have these for sale for $80.

I haven't decided whether I want to remove the hip straps yet. Loaded up with beer and water on a long, rugged course they might come in handy!

Total cost:
about $60 for materials, with shipping included
three hours for a run to the hardware store, cutting, assembly, and insertion
about one gallon of gas for travel to and from the hardware store

Tools I needed (no additional cost because I already owned these things):
measuring tape
pencil
miter box
backsaw

A hacksaw or PVC cutter would have significantly reduced my cutting time, but to go cheap you gotta go with what you already got!

Model info for Inn0va:

Manufacturer: Swiss Gear
Model: Neuchatel Technical Internal Frame Pack

As steve_a pointed out in the OP, these are no longer in production so you might have trouble locating one in the near future. There are still a few available on eBay!

First off, I want to say I think your design is awesome. I don't have a swiss bag so I dont know if this could be actually be done with this bag or not but thought it might be possible and pretty cool to make basically your own version of the Simian from Gorilla Boy from what you already have. I drew up a really quick and crappy blue print over one of the pics posted before just to use as a reference in paint. You could cut slits in the fabric inside the bag above the bottom pouch big enough for the pvc pipe to fit through and connect to the top joints of the bottom frame. I would leave the front cross support in the middle of the bag out so that the front pocket doesn't have to much pressure pushing against it from the inside. The main pouch would still be plenty accessible for more discs or w/e you wish to put in there but the top supports may be in the way for a cooler to fit in. On the very top you could attach a seat from a small rectangle stool or make your own buy cutting a piece of plywood to size, cutting some foam or cushion and wrapping fabric over and stapling underneath to secure it. That away you have a seat. I would also recommend buying some herculiner and painting the bottom to waterproof and basically make the bottom indestructible like what phenix does for their bags, because you will obviously be setting this bag down a lot and the heavier weight will cause the bottom to wear out faster than the average dg bag. In the picture, the orange lines represent pvc pipe and the red lines are the t-joints and 4-way joints.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmejj/5083075194/

First off, I want to say I think your design is awesome. I don't have a swiss bag so I dont know if this could be actually be done with this bag or not but thought it might be possible and pretty cool to make basically your own version of the Simian from Gorilla Boy from what you already have. I drew up a really quick and crappy blue print over one of the pics posted before just to use as a reference in paint. You could cut slits in the fabric inside the bag above the bottom pouch big enough for the pvc pipe to fit through and connect to the top joints of the bottom frame. I would leave the front cross support in the middle of the bag out so that the front pocket doesn't have to much pressure pushing against it from the inside. The main pouch would still be plenty accessible for more discs or w/e you wish to put in there but the top supports may be in the way for a cooler to fit in. On the very top you could attach a seat from a small rectangle stool or make your own buy cutting a piece of plywood to size, cutting some foam or cushion and wrapping fabric over and stapling underneath to secure it. That away you have a seat. I would also recommend buying some herculiner and painting the bottom to waterproof and basically make the bottom indestructible like what phenix does for their bags, because you will obviously be setting this bag down a lot and the heavier weight will cause the bottom to wear out faster than the average dg bag. In the picture, the orange lines represent pvc pipe and the red lines are the t-joints and 4-way joints.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmejj/5083075194/

Sweet idea. maybe i will buy another one to try that out.

Good luck, Inn0va! I think you'll be pleased.

Hint: There is a zipper inside the bag which controls a flap between the top and bottom compartments. I never would have fit the frame inside without utilizing it.

jljordan:

You might be onto something with the Herculiner suggestion...

There is a zipper inside the bag which controls a flap between the top and bottom compartments.

That would maybe make it even easier to fit the full frame in without having to cut the bag. You've built one MopMan, do you think it could be done or is the inside of the bag not made the way that I'm imagining it and attempted to draw out in the picture posted above?

jljordan said:
That would maybe make it even easier to fit the full frame in without having to cut the bag. You've built one MopMan, do you think it could be done or is the inside of the bag not made the way that I'm imagining it and attempted to draw out in the picture posted above?

It would definitely be possible to make this work with a tall frame for a seat as you suggested, and it would require at least two holes cut inside the bag and probably two to four more in the top.

If you do design a seat-top mod for the bag, a two-box setup might work better than the three-box setup you imagined. Given the limited space within the bag, that extra set of rungs might not be worth it.

It would definitely be possible to make this work with a tall frame for a seat as you suggested, and it would require at least two holes cut inside the bag and probably two to four more in the top.

If you do design a seat-top mod for the bag, a two-box setup might work better than the three-box setup you imagined. Given the limited space within the bag, that extra set of rungs might not be worth it.

I put the extra rungs in for more support to hold the weight of sitting on top, not necessarily to be used as another storage box like the bottom pouch. But if the frame is measured and made at just the right length, the bag its self might help hold it up right and the vertical pvc may not bend or flex under the weight so that the extra rungs aren't necessary. But part of the fun of building your own stuff is trial and error. OR, you could sew fabric over the vertical parts of the frame directly to the bag to keep it from flexing.