• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY Disc Golf Backpack

My original idea was to make a cooler that would attach/detach from the frame. I have a soft sided cooler with a hard plastic liner and lid. I was going to come off the bottom frame with a pvc tee on the top back side of the frame instead of a 90 degree elbow. I would then attach a couple pieces of pvc to the bottom of the cooler that would slip into the tee. That should keep the cooler in place enough to sit on the whole assembly. It would also allow easy access to the cooler as well. I might try and get pics up later.

My original idea was to make a cooler that would attach/detach from the frame. I have a soft sided cooler with a hard plastic liner and lid. I was going to come off the bottom frame with a pvc tee on the top back side of the frame instead of a 90 degree elbow. I would then attach a couple pieces of pvc to the bottom of the cooler that would slip into the tee. That should keep the cooler in place enough to sit on the whole assembly. It would also allow easy access to the cooler as well. I might try and get pics up later.

Sweet man, i cant wait till i get it delivered. Im going to have fun with this!:)

Once everything is put together, how prone is the bag to tipping over on uneven ground? Also, can someone post a picture with them wearing it so I can get an idea of how it fits. Has anyone thought of drilling "speed" holes in the pvc to reduce the weight?

The bag will tip on uneven ground, but the weight of the discs in the bottom holds it upright even if the ground isn't perfectly flat. I imagine stability will vary depending on what you carry in the top part of the bag.

Speed holes aren't necessary. PVC pipes are lightweight and do not contribute significantly to the weight of the bag.

The bag has an adjustable ride heigth and can sit where ever you want it on your back. I will try and get pics.

It generally does not fall over but it helps if you set it sideways on the hill so that it is not facing up or down the hill.

Here you go guys, finished it a few weeks ago!

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

Man, I have to get one of these bags. I'm not a fan of standard DG bags and have my discs in a normal backpack. This looks much more convenient...

Great job. Really thinking of doing this. Although I'm perfectly happy with my Innova Deluxe with straps. I really wanted a backpack style and this looks like the perfect design. I don't play enough for to pay for a Dual Pack and this looks second best to it.

How comfortable is it?

Any problem with the discs falling out?

How about the drink holders? I've always been skeptical of mesh drink holders although I admit I have never had a bag with one. Do they take Nalgene bottles or are they only for smaller bottles?

Anything you would do differently/improve?

@ steve_a with the availability of these bags dwindling is there an alternative bag that you can think if that would work with the frame you built, Ive been looking but couldn't find anything with that lower front pocket, like this one has...

Great job. Really thinking of doing this. Although I'm perfectly happy with my Innova Deluxe with straps. I really wanted a backpack style and this looks like the perfect design. I don't play enough for to pay for a Dual Pack and this looks second best to it.

How comfortable is it? Very comfy even for tournaments

Any problem with the discs falling out? Not really if you keep it full.

How about the drink holders? I've always been skeptical of mesh drink holders although I admit I have never had a bag with one. Do they take Nalgene bottles or are they only for smaller bottles? They take larger bottles but I don't have a nalgene to try it on. They have held up great.

Anything you would do differently/improve? Try to get them back into production so I can make more. They just work well for disc golf.

@ steve_a with the availability of these bags dwindling is there an alternative bag that you can think if that would work with the frame you built, Ive been looking but couldn't find anything with that lower front pocket, like this one has...
I haven't taken the time to experiment with others yet. I may start experimenting once these are gone.

Do they take Nalgene bottles or are they only for smaller bottles?

I ususally buy a large water bottle or two at WaWa. The diameter looks similar to what a Nalgene bottle is, though I haven't measured.

Anything you would do differently/improve?

Only one thing. I have a small hole wearing through the bottom left front corner. It is very small, right now less than a millimeter across, but I can see the white frame peeking through. I'm going to buy some patches and bolster the corners.